all posts post new thread

Barbell Adjusting frequency

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ivan Merl

Level 6 Valued Member
I have seen a few posts recently that have referred to the kettlebells and deadlift program. I noticed that this same program is mentioned in Easy Strength. The program looked fun and like it would provide my brain with the variety it was looking for.

Looking at the article,
Kettlebells and Deadlifts Go Together Like Vodka and Pickles | StrongFirst
It has a beginner deadlifting 3x a week. Easy Strength gives no recommendations for this program, however similar programs are run with less frequency.

Am I wrong in thinking that it be wise to lower the frequency of the above program for a more experienced lifter?

I have seen a few posts recently that have referred to the kettlebells and deadlift program. I noticed that this same program is mentioned in Easy Strength. The program looked fun and like it would provide my brain with the variety it was looking for.

Looking at the article,
Kettlebells and Deadlifts Go Together Like Vodka and Pickles | StrongFirst
It has a beginner deadlifting 3x a week. Easy Strength gives no recommendations for this program, however similar programs are run with less frequency.

Am I wrong in thinking that it be wise to lower the frequency of the above program for a more experienced lifter?

In general, it is typical, or at least not uncommon, for an advanced lifter to do the deadlift more rarely than the other lifts, but it is dependent on the workload and the program.

But I get the picture from the article and its tone that it is written for the amateur. I believe it would be more sensible to pick a program written for your target audience instead of modifying a program written for someone else.

@Ivan Merl

What makes you use “beginner” to describe that program?

If you are doing heavy squats then you might lift to deadlift less often, but you might also wish to find a different program. My reading of that program is that the only thing you might add to it would be a press.

-S-

@Steve Freides

"if you have never deadlifted a barbell, but have been seriously swinging and snatching a kettlebell, you are already ahead in the deadlift game. Kettlebell pulls have “greased” the hip hinge pattern for the deadlift and strengthened your deadlift muscles"

This quote seems to indicate that even if you have not been in the deadlift game for long the following program will meet your needs.

"Once your technique is passable, it is time to drill it with high-frequency practice. Here is your plan ..."

Once your technique is passable reads like a beginner program to me. It also indicates that said lifter would or should not be aware of their own lifting max at this point.

My original post was only a programming question. I know that there are many programs that would meet my needs, but learning to adjust and adapt a program is just as important (to me). Seeing that the program was Pavel's adaptation of a WSB program for SF, I was just hypothesizing that lowing the frequency might be another adaptation of the program. The original WSB program was written for deadlifting once a week, but as others have mentioned that also means that the lifter is performing other heavy lifts such as squats. Pavel's adaptation, I feel, has the beginner deadlifting 3x a week in order to drill proper form and build intensity. My thought was that an intermediate SF lifter might be able to reboot this program by cutting back to 1.5x a week. I am not usually one to mess with programs, but this was (at the time) more for the sake of discussing programming.

I didn't read it as a program for only beginners, rather a program that could work for beginners. I understand your interpretation and I don't know which is correct. I've done "beginner" programs after deadlifting for more than a 10 years and they still worked for me for a cycle or two.

that also means that the lifter is performing other heavy lifts such as squats.
This is the crux of the matter. I believe Rif has said that a powerlifting squat is a deadlift with the bar on your back - there's a big carryover for most people. For me personally, there was.
Are you squatting? There is nothing wrong with deadlifting every day - the devil is in the details. I'm sorry if perhaps the details of your training are well-known by others here but I have no idea, which is why I'm hesitant to say you should change the program. If that program is all you're doing or perhaps you're doing that and some pressing and that's all, then I wouldn't change the program at all.

You ask about learning to modify a program - experience, by itself, isn't a reason to change the particulars of a program, but perhaps it's a reason to choose another program.

I'm trying to be helpful here, not argumentative. I'm clearing failing at the latter but hopefully succeeding somewhat at the former. :)

-S-

@vegpedlr
Location 2259, part way through chapter 3.
I should have looked more closely before my original post, but life happened. I think he mentions that if you are not squatting you should increase the frequency from 1x a week to 1.5 x a week.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom