all posts post new thread

Barbell Advice on women's Oly Lifting barbell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
I have an Ohio Power Bar and I've been using it for Olympic Lifting practice for a few months now. It's not ideal for that, though it is usable.

I'd like to go ahead and get a women's Oly Lifting bar, because:
  • 15kg/35 lbs rather than 20kg/44/45 lbs
    • either one is workable but I'd have to compete with 35 lb
  • 25mm thickness rather than 28mm thickness
    • again either one is workable (my hands are not small) but might as well get used to competition standard. Also seems to be a little easier for snatches.
  • would like slightly less aggressive knurling
  • would like a little more spin
  • would like a little more whippiness
  • that center knurl on the Ohio Power Bar is aggravating for cleans
So... what to get? I'm partial to Rogue, but not stuck on it. I've looked at Eleiko and Uesaka and Ivanko and I'm not opposed to making a good investment but I'm not sure I really need a top end bar for just my own use in my home gym. But I may train other here someday also.

I welcome any inputs!

I have an Ohio Power Bar and I've been using it for Olympic Lifting practice for a few months now. It's not ideal for that, though it is usable.

• again either one is workable (my hands are not small) but might as well get used to competition standard. Also seems to be a little easier for snatches.
So... what to get? I'm partial to Rogue, but not stuck on it. I've looked at Eleiko and Uesaka and Ivanko and I'm not opposed to making a good investment but I'm not sure I really need a top end bar for just my own use in my home gym. But I may train other here someday also.

I welcome any inputs!

The Eleiko bars are definitely worthy of the praise they receive. I've used several models (20kg and 15kg) and would recommend any of them.

The least expensive one they do is the 15kg XF bar, which has dual markings (O-lifting and powerlifting) and a slightly less aggressive knurling than their Oly training and competition bars and uses a mixture of bearings and bushings as opposed to just needle bearings. The steel used in the shaft is the same as their training and competition bars so it's got plenty of whip and flex. I reckon it could be exactly what you're looking for.

I'm currently waiting on a quote for Eleiko on a couple of bars I'm thinking of getting (I get 25% discount with my British Weightlifting membership! Do USAW have any similar scheme in place?) and, while I'm certain they're more barbell than I'll ever need, I know they're built to last and hold their value really well.

If you're after something a bit more budget-friendly, the Rogue stuff looks decent. They do a 25mm training bar for $275. No bearings so it won't spin quite as well but if you apply a suitable lubricant often enough the difference will be small, at least until the loads on the bar get really heavy. It has a 'standard' knurl as opposed to the aggressive knurl on the power bar so in theory that should be a lot more comfortable. Being a 'training bar' it's likely to be less aggressive than a competition spec bar so you'll be all right for higher volume training sessions.

It might be worth looking at Werk San bars. I know they're the official equipment supplier for USAW and have IWF certification on their competition bars. They're quite rare in the UK but I've no doubt they're built to a very high standard. Could well be more barbell than you need for training purposes but they might be cheaper in the US than an equivalent Eleiko bar.

I have two Oly barbells:

Rogue Euro 28 mm bearing bar (which can now be had in the "upgraded" IWF-certified / cerrakote version)

Eleiko Powerlock

The Powerlock is OMFG awesomely cool, but I think it's currently out of production.

When it comes to spin and whip, I'd rate the Rogue and Eleiko bars is both top notch. Blindfolded, I doubt I could tell the difference between either of them for whip and spin at the weights I lift.

But knurling is a different story and the difference is obvious.

The Powerlock has Eleiko's "1.2" knurling which is "aggressive" and the same as their competition bar; the XF uses the gentler 1.0 knurling.

If you're using a hook grip and already have the thumb calluses to reduce the pain, it may not be a big deal (I'm used to it), but I've had friends use it and describe it as a "cheesegrater" and hate to use it for practice.

The Rogue knurling is much more comfortable for most people, but now that I'm used to the gnarly Eleiko, I find more slippery and want to use chalk.

The Eleiko 1.2 knurling is aggressive enough that I never feel the need for chalk. But my calluses have dimples for a good 30 min after I'm done.

These days, the Rogue bar stays in my rack for squats, presses, and jerks, where the smoother knurling isn't a detriment, and the Eleiko stays on the floor for the quicklifts and grind pulls.

Basically, I think it comes down to volume per week, grip used, and how callused you are.

I welcome any inputs!

Is this the Rogue women's bar you're referring to?

If so, that's the women's version of the same one that I have.

I used it for my first 2-3 years of home Olympic lift practices before I decided to go all-in on a top tier Eleiko bar.

It's more than good enough, especially given the low mileage it gets on home use vs a gym -- anything beyond is basically a luxury purchase.

Is this the Rogue women's bar you're referring to?

Yes, I was just looking at that one. I think you're right.

Any thoughts on the Pyrros bar, as an alternative?

Yes, I was just looking at that one. I think you're right.

Any thoughts on the Pyrros bar, as an alternative?

My friend has one.

I've never done anything more than fondle it when he wasn't looking.

The stainless steel is nice, once it gets micro scuffed up a bit has a patina like a stainless steel watch, as opposed to knicks and dings like zinc/chrome.

If you're using a hook grip and already

Yes, have been using hook grip for a while but no significant thumb callus. I like the knurl on the Ohio Power bar but it is pretty aggressive. In contrast, the bars at the gym are so worn out they're almost smooth.

I get 25% discount with my British Weightlifting membership! Do USAW have any similar scheme in place?

Hmm, good question... I do have a USAW membership.

If you're after something a bit more budget-friendly, the Rogue stuff looks decent. They do a 25mm training bar for $275.

Yes... between that training bar and the $495 Olympic Weightlifting bar, I'd probably go with the second, but I'm not sure I know enough to justify that extra $$.

Rogue women’s B&R Bar or something similar is great. Now called a multipurpose bar, used to be called a CrossFit Bar.

I have used a CrossFit Bar for years and have been very happy with it. I have an Elieko Bar and never use it.

Using it for Deadlifts gives you a similar effect to a proper Deadlift bar with more sag and smaller diameter.

You could buy 3-4 of these for the price of an elite level Weightlifting training bar:

You powerlift and Olympic lift. I have done very well with a TPB and a cheap noname CrossFit Bar:

The stainless steel is nice, once it gets micro scuffed up a bit has a patina like a stainless steel watch, as opposed to knicks and dings like zinc/chrome.

Ah... stainless. That's a plus in my book. I got the stainless Ohio Power bar and really happy I did. I live in high humidity so any time outside or in non-climate controlled areas would have a non-stainless bar looking ugly-ish.

Rogue women’s B&R Bar or something similar is great. Now called a multipurpose bar, used to be called a CrossFit Bar.

I have used a CrossFit Bar for years and have been very happy with it. I have an Elieko Bar and never use it.

Using it for Dealdifts gives you a similar effect to a proper Deadlift bar with more sag and smaller diameter.

You could buy 3-4 of these for the price of an elite level Weightlifting training bar:

You powerlift and Olympic lift. I have done very well with a TPB and a cheap noname CrossFit Bar:

I hadn't thought about using it for deadlifts... the Ohio Power bar that I have seems ideal for that.

Though the various "pulls" that weightlifters do are different than a standard powerlifting deadlift, so I suppose I'd use the new bar for that.

Since I do have one bar I'd like to get a new one that's specific for Oly lifting. But if I didn't have one at all, the CrossFit bar would be a great option.

I hadn't thought about using it for deadlifts... the Ohio Power bar that I have seems ideal for that.

Though the various "pulls" that weightlifters do are different than a standard powerlifting deadlift, so I suppose I'd use the new bar for that.

Since I do have one bar I'd like to get a new one that's specific for Oly lifting. But if I didn't have one at all, the CrossFit bar would be a great option.

Yeah, you already have a pretty good deadlift bar.

Personally, I don't like doing any lift with a 2nd pull and triple extension with a deadlift bar. I can't do the 2nd pull as well, which affects my catch.

Even things like clean pulls or snatch high pulls feel a bit off.

Yeah, you already have a pretty good deadlift bar.

Personally, I don't like doing any lift with a 2nd pull and triple extension with a deadlift bar. I can't do the 2nd pull as well, which affects my catch.

Even things like clean pulls or snatch high pulls feel a bit off.

I'm hoping everything will feel better with a better bar... I can use all the help I can get! ?

The bars at the gym did feel better, but were well-worn-out. So yeah it will be nice to get the right tool for the job.

I noticed after recommending the B&R Bar it does not have needle bearings.

A good Women‘s Weightlifting Bar is what you need. The Bella Bar has needle bearings and a decent price.

A good Women‘s Weightlifting Bar is what you need. The Bella Bar has needle bearings and a decent price.

You must be looking at a different Bella Bar than I see, because this one has bushings:

As far as I can see, Rogue only offer needle bearings on their Olympic weightlifting, Pyrros and Russian bars.

Looks like the cheapest bearing bar you can buy from Rogue is the York needle bearing olympic training bar for $280.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier, but Weightlifting House's 'House Barbell' might be a good shout:

House Barbell – Women’s – Preorder

They're Chinese made and built to full IWF spec and, while I haven't used one myself, every lifter I know who's used them says they compare favourably to other high end Chinese oly bars, such as those made by Zhangkong, which are excellent.

They're Chinese made and built to full IWF spec and, while I haven't used one myself, every lifter I know who's used them says they compare favourably to other high end Chinese oly bars, such as those made by Zhangkong, which are excellent.

I'm grumpily inclined to buy American right now, especially because I've been very happy with Rogue in previous purchases.

I think I've settled on the Pyrros Bar (ROGUE PYRROS BAR - 25MM), unless something else comes to light. Will think on it another day before purchase.

The other Rogue one (ROGUE 25MM IWF OLYMPIC WEIGHTLIFTING BAR) has a "Notify Me" so I guess it's out of stock at the moment.

Thank you @Chrisdavisjr @watchnerd @JeffC for your inputs!

I'm grumpily inclined to buy American right now, especially because I've been very happy with Rogue in previous purchases.

I think I've settled on the Pyrros Bar (ROGUE PYRROS BAR - 25MM), unless something else comes to light. Will think on it another day before purchase.

The other Rogue one (ROGUE 25MM IWF OLYMPIC WEIGHTLIFTING BAR) has a "Notify Me" so I guess it's out of stock at the moment.

Thank you @Chrisdavisjr @watchnerd @JeffC for your inputs!

I'll be eagerly awaiting to read your review when you get it!

I'm already jealous of the cool IWF logos.

I only have that on some of my change plates.

I would say take what you can get under the new normal we are being told we are under, but that is not helpful.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom