all posts post new thread

Barbell Advice on women's Oly Lifting barbell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think I've settled on the Pyrros Bar (ROGUE PYRROS BAR - 25MM), unless something else comes to light. Will think on it another day before purchase.

That looks like an awesome bar. Really good value for something with IWF certification. The difference between that and your power bar will be night and day. Excited to see what you settle on and how you get on with it!

I'm currently internally debating whether my current financial and training situation permit/necessitate the purchase of a new barbell (currrently practising my O-lifts on a 30mm York bushing bar) but for now I can at least enjoy the new barbell experience vicariously.

Welp, I've just gone and ordered myself an Eleiko 20kg XF bar. So much for 'vicariously'. That lasted all of four hours.

25% discount for being a British Weightlifting member though. @Anna C I'd definitely check to see if Rogue gear is subject to any USAW partner discounts before ordering. Even if you're not already a member sometimes the membership fee pays for itself.

Welp, I've just gone and ordered myself an Eleiko 20kg XF bar. So much for 'vicariously'. That lasted all of four hours.

25% discount for being a British Weightlifting member though. @Anna C I'd definitely check to see if Rogue gear is subject to any USAW partner discounts before ordering. Even if you're not already a member sometimes the membership fee pays for itself.

I'll be curious.

I've never seen nor found any equipment discounts from USAW, only on travel, hotels, testing fees, etc.

I'll be curious.

I've never seen nor found any equipment discounts from USAW, only on travel, hotels, testing fees, etc.

On their membership page it mentions 'Sponsor discounts and perks'. Could just be merch and similar but worth looking into.

I just noticed that the XF has a mixture of bushings and bearings.

Now I'm intrigued on how that works, mechanically.

No idea how it works mechanically, but I've used one of these bars many times at the gym and the feel and spin are excellent. There's a video on Eleiko's YouTube channel that shows some of their bars being manufactured which might give you a clue if you know what you're looking at:

On their membership page it mentions 'Sponsor discounts and perks'. Could just be merch and similar but worth looking into.

When I login, here are the current partner discounts:

Onyx Straps
Escape Audio
Lift Genie
NASM
Ascent Protein
Muscle Up Protein Bars
Train Heroic
Trifecta Nutrition
ROM WOD
Renaissance Periodization
Health IQ
United Airlines
Enteprise Rental Cars

No barbell makers. :(

No idea how it works mechanically, but I've used one of these bars many times at the gym and the feel and spin are excellent. There's a video on Eleiko's YouTube channel that shows some of their bars being manufactured which might give you a clue if you know what you're looking at:

It looks like, rather than have the needle bearings run the whole length of the bearing chamber, they occupy the outer 40% or so.

I guess this would, in theory, allow for a compromise where the greatest torque is handled by the needle bearings, then via a bearing interface, hands off to bushing bearings, which can be more sturdy and economical to manufacture.

Not easy to pull off!

I'm almost surprised that the engineering R&D investment is worth the slight BOM cost reduction, but they must see a big volume in more modestly priced bars with upside potential.

Last edited:
I ordered the Pyrros bar on 5/6, the order processed today 5/8, and the email said "Your order will ship complete in approximately 14-28 days." Not bad. At least it's in stock! I will report back when received as to whether it meets expectations... ?

I ordered the Pyrros bar on 5/6, the order processed today 5/8, and the email said "Your order will ship complete in approximately 14-28 days." Not bad. At least it's in stock! I will report back when received as to whether it meets expectations... ?

Now I have this urge to upgrade my 'regular' Rogue oly bar to the Pyrros bar....

I hope you get it soon so I can live vicariously, instead of just buying a new barbell like @Chrisdavisjr did. ;)

Now I have this urge to upgrade my 'regular' Rogue oly bar to the Pyrros bar....

I hope you get it soon so I can live vicariously, instead of just buying a new barbell like @Chrisdavisjr did. ;)

I wonder if going from the 'regular' Rogue Oly bar is an upgrade. Seems more of a 'sidegrade' (if that't not a term already, I'm coining it now) as the quality seems about the same, just slightly different spec on the knurling and an uncoated steel shaft.

I am a massive Pyrros Dimas fanboy though so I'm not going to pretend there's no appeal.

I wonder if going from the 'regular' Rogue Oly bar is an upgrade. Seems more of a 'sidegrade' (if that't not a term already, I'm coining it now) as the quality seems about the same, just slightly different spec on the knurling and an uncoated steel shaft.

I am a massive Pyrros Dimas fanboy though so I'm not going to pretend there's no appeal.

Oh, it's totally irrational for me and definitely a 'sidegrade' when it comes to actual performance.

But that stainless steel, IWF logo, and Pyrros name has barbell bling the other doesn't. ;)

My Eleiko bar arrived today after some delay (understandable given the circumstances). I'm very impressed: The knurling is sharp and the whole thing is a lot more 'solid' than my York bar and feels lighter; the sleeves have a decent amount of spin, not as much as a bearing-only bar but much nicer than a bushing bar. Even with no weight on it, I can feel how 'springy' it is. It even comes with a little brush for keeping the knurling clean! Really looking forward to giving it a proper try.

Darn you guys are making me jealous, even though I really don't need another bar.

If I could actually get a 3rd pair of J-hooks, I might be tempted, but apparently they're back ordered in perpetuity....

It's in shipping right now and due to arrive tomorrow!

Rogue's customer service is awesome, BTW. I inquired 5/23 on the status because it didn't yet say processed, and they answered the same day with a personal email update.

I'm gonna tag @randyh in here. He knows of such things.
My personal preference is for Uesaka, which last forever. (I have a 24 year old men's bar from the Atlanta Games warm-up room, two more men's training bars, three women's bars: two comp bars and training bar, virtually identical.) If you are going to spend 800-1000 on a bar, it should be durable. Uesaka's generally don't spin "hyper-freely" (the bar on the floor kick test is useless, what matters is, does a bar spin smooth and fast when loaded and lifted) like Eleiko or Werk San or DHS but they are super bars with exceptional steel. Rogue has recently worked its way up to being IWF certified equipment for competition and their bars are competitively priced. DHS, Eleiko and Werk San all have spring snap sleeve retainers (Rogue too, I think) which can and do fail on occasion. Uesaka's sleeves are factory sealed and cannot be removed, so virtually maintenance free. Eleiko has long been the gold standard and the price reflects that.

Eleiko has long been the gold standard and the price reflects that.

$885 for the Uesaka training bar

$915 for the Eleiko training bar

There might be a lot reasons to prefer one versus the other, but the price difference is only $30.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom