all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Advices to deal with shin splints.

Zagor

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi guys!! I need some runners advices to deal with shin splints. This week (tuesday and today) I've failed in my running workout, not being able to finish it. Yesterday I did 3 miles and it was ok, this one I was able to complete.

This saturday I should do 9 miles, but I think that it's better to take this day off and rest ( even for a week) to let my shins rest. Any advices on how to deal with this thing?

Hi guys!! I need some runners advices to deal with shin splints. This week (tuesday and today) I've failed in my running workout, nothing being able to complete it. Yesterday I did 3 miles and it was ok, I've managed to complete.

This saturday I should do 9 miles, but I think that it's better to take this day off and rest ( even for a week) to let my shins rest. Any advices on how to deal with this thing?
Whenever I've had these, they've always been an overuse injury. Stretch your calf muscles, back off on your running, and start up again for short distances. Do a bit of searching and be sure to gently stretch all relevant things - feet, soleus, gastroc, and whatever else might be tight.

-S-

Hi guys!! I need some runners advices to deal with shin splints. This week (tuesday and today) I've failed in my running workout, not being able to finish it. Yesterday I did 3 miles and it was ok, this one I was able to complete.

Things to look at:

1. Stretch your calves in both the leg-straight position and the knee-bent position. For leg straight, my favorites both use a wall. For knee bent, my preference is a squat or a modified lunge position.

2. Ankle circles - make 20 circles each direction on each ankle. Do this a couple times a day, but do it daily for several weeks.

3. Cut back on run volume for the time being. If you can't run because of the pain you need serious modification.

4. What has your training looked like for the past month? Are you new to running? Did you jump up in mileage? Are you overstriding? Have you switched shoes?

Definitely rest to allow your body time to recover. I've been told to use ibuprofen to help with the inflammation but only if it's safe for you. Also, compression socks may help. And as others before me have mentioned stretch, stretch, stretch.

Things to look at:

1. Stretch your calves in both the leg-straight position and the knee-bent position. For leg straight, my favorites both use a wall. For knee bent, my preference is a squat or a modified lunge position.

2. Ankle circles - make 20 circles each direction on each ankle. Do this a couple times a day, but do it daily for several weeks.

3. Cut back on run volume for the time being. If you can't run because of the pain you need serious modification.

4. What has your training looked like for the past month? Are you new to running? Did you jump up in mileage? Are you overstriding? Have you switched shoes?
4. Well, I'm running 4 days weekly. I'm mixing it with long runs / sprint training. Well, have three years that I've started running, but since november (5 months already) I've started training with an instructor here ( focused in increase my time in 1.5 mile timed run and long distance). So, I only started to run more than 3 miles in these 5 months with him. The mostly milleage I've achieved was 7 miles ( last week).

So yes, I'm always increasing milleage. About overstriding, I don't know, do you think that my trainer maybe are going hard on the workouts?

And yes, I've switched to my new running shoes have already 1 month. ..

4. Well, I'm running 4 days weekly. I'm mixing it with long runs / sprint training. Well, have three years that I've started running, but since november (5 months already) I've started training with an instructor here ( focused in increase my time in 1.5 mile timed run and long distance). So, I only started to run more than 3 miles in these 5 months with him. The mostly milleage I've achieved was 7 miles ( last week).

So yes, I'm always increasing milleage. About overstriding, I don't know, do you think that my trainer maybe are going hard on the workouts?

And yes, I've switched to my new running shoes have already 1 month. ..
Since the shin splits just started, and it sounds like you have a long history of running with no big breaks, it is likely due to something new - new shoes, new pace, new volume. Hard to say which. If your trainer has been smart about increasing the volume, I wouldn't jump to that.

Trying to run faster many folks try to reach out with their foot, which tends to lead to overstriding, which tends to contribute to issues like shin splits.

Additionally, it could be something as simple as you are not relaxing your foot - you are keeping it pulled "up," over-activating the muscle on your shin. Work on stretching that - such as by sitting on your heels. See below.

You can also do this single leg and hit both the shin muscle and the calf muscle at the same time. See below picture. You can turn the knee out to about 90 degrees, sitting on that heel, while driving the knee of the other leg over the foot stretching the calf.

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 11.23.54 AM.png

What the others have said plus…
Sit on the floor with legs in front of you, toes pointing up. Loop a band over the affected foot and anchor the other end of the band to something solid. Pull the top of the foot towards you against the tension of the band.

Hi, Friends! Just a major update here. Since Thursday I've cut all of my running program. And I've decided to rest until I recovery from this pain. And I'll change my training regimen too, doing a easy run on Mondays, speed runs ( fartlek) on Wednesdays, and a long run on Fridays.

But I think that my shin splits aren't 100% yet, I think that I'll rest one week more. Maybe I'll start running when April start!!

When I was running track as a high schooler I had shin splints so bad that it even hurt to walk. Nothing would help—stretching, ibuprofen, etc. One day I took plain old aspirin an hour before practice and poof, no shin pain. Give aspirin a try.

hi man, I advise you to follow the running protocols of coach Blaise Dubois on his site "the running clinic" I am military and this is the only protocol that worked for me, I had to run every day alternating walking and running with a pain threshold of 2/10 and since then I have had nothing, it's been 6 years now

Back
Top Bottom