all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Am I doing the right thing? - S&S for Fat Loss and Strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

I don't need pie charts and graphs and heart rate monitors and complex weekly schedules and other things
As Antoine de Saint Exupéry said (a french pilote and writer, so it is difficult for me to translate) "Perfection is not reached when there is nothing to add anymore, but when there is nothing to get back anymore". I think it sums up well Pavel's S&S philosophy.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

As Antoine de Saint Exupéry said (a french pilote and writer, so it is difficult for me to translate) "Perfection is not reached when there is nothing to add anymore, but when there is nothing to get back anymore". I think it sums up well Pavel's S&S philosophy.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Ca serait mieux de le lire en francais car ca ne se traduit pas tres facilement en anglais. Honnetement je ne peux pas le comprendre comme c'est ecrit en anglais. La langue fraincaise est beaucoup plus precise je pense avec tous les accordes entre noms et adjectifs en consideration des genres et nombres et cetera.

Hello,

Hey ! You speak french !!! :)

"La perfection est atteinte, non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter, mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer"

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Tobias Wissmueller your plan above ("Have decided on the following") looks great, IMO.

My thoughts on the breathing and other parameters:

Daily swing practice:
  • Recovery - Plenty! Starting your sets of 10 EMOM is good guide.
  • Breathing - Good biomechanical breathing during swings. Deep nasal breathing if possible between sets.
  • Talk test - Yes
  • Ready for powerful next set - Yes
  • Heart rate - Reasonable HR range and some recovery between sets is good, but not necessary to be concerned with at this point.
5-min swing test - occasional, and when you feel ready for it:
  • Recovery - Only as much as will allow you to complete 10 x 10 in 5 min (normally about 15 sec between sets; starting each set on the :30)
  • Breathing - Good biomechanical breathing during swings. Breathe as needed between sets; may be mouth breathing.
  • Talk test - Not required (you probably won't pass :) )
  • Ready for powerful next set - Yes! Still required!!
  • Heart rate - Probably will go high - expected and fine. Just don't give yourself a heart attack ;)
Again, just another opinion here. There's no one "right" way. But if in doubt, I always listen to @aciampa , he has never steered me wrong and he's been effectively steering my training for almost 4 years now.

@Anna C Thank you so much, your post has answered all of my questions! You especially cleared up my confusion about the talk test during the 5-min swing test, because I can't ever imagine myself doing 100 swings in 5 minutes with being able to talk and also being aerobic. Won't give myself a heart attack, I promise :) Since I always had a high pulse am kind of used to it, especially from my time with Freeletics. Some of those workouts were more like doing 20 swing tests during one training.

I've only been doing S&S for 5 weeks (kettlebells for some years), but I do use a heart rate monitor and have been experimenting with some of the things that you have been playing around with.
(1) It seems to work best to ignore the heart rate during the work out, but I use it to track my progress. For example, over time, the same work out leads to lower heart rate peaks.
(2) I use the talk test and my subjective recovery between sets to judge my rest periods during the work out, but when the heart rate peaks get lower, it encourages me to push a little harder next time.
(3) I'm not doing EMOM right now because I like watching the total swing time and judging my progress that way. I've gone from swinging the 32kg in 15 or so minutes at the beginning of November to swinging it in 9 to 11 minutes now. My experience from previous programs has been than when I can complete 10 x 10 swings in 7 minutes or so with ease then it is time to start testing. Usually when my swing workout lasts about 7 minutes then I am getting in the range of passing the 5 minute test.

@jhpowers I also ignore the heart rate during training. I mainly use it for analysis after training. I like your idea of subjective recovery and mainly tracking the overall swing time. I will try that out for a week as well.

Hello,

Trust your body and learn from it. If you are pushing too hard, it will tell you (failure, out of breath, pain / injury)

A workout is always more comfortable and instinctive that way. You just do your reps, and reap all the benefits (ease stress, good health, you "do not think", etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Anna C Thank you so much, your post has answered all of my questions!

I owe you a "thanks" as well, because you pointed out a feature in Polar that somehow I hadn't noticed all this time I had been using it -- the slide bar where you can highlight a portion of the track for analysis. Good to know!

I didn't know that French folks know we speak French here. :) I'm sorry too.
I'm in Ontario by the way, which is the province west of Quebec. About 10% of Ontarians speak French at home, and the language is dominant in a huge part of the geography of the province. We even have a franco-ontarian TV channel and news programme. French came to my province in 1615 when Champlain (thought of as Canada's founder, maybe like how you guys see Vercingetorix or Julius Caesar or Charles Martel?) visited, bringing French fur traders and settlers, and the language has been here ever since.

Hello,

@Kozushi
Very interesting :)! From my "old" History classes, Champlain is also the Québec city founder, right ?

maybe like how you guys see Vercingetorix or Julius Caesar or Charles Martel?
For us (at least me because I enjoy History) these 3 men have a precise role:
Vercingétorix unified some provinces (which later will become France) to fight against Caesar. Before, they had different cultures, moneys, there were territory wars...
Caesar is one of the most important European conqueror of this time (with A. The Great). He fought against Vercingétorix and won in Alesia. He brought us latin (then French language).
Charles Martel won a battle in Poitier against Moorish people in early 8 century.

In France it is a pity but English is not taught very well (both speaking and reading / writing)...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Kozushi
Very interesting :)! From my "old" History classes, Champlain is also the Québec city founder, right ?

For us (at least me because I enjoy History) these 3 men have a precise role:
Vercingétorix unified some provinces (which later will become France) to fight against Caesar. Before, they had different cultures, moneys, there were territory wars...
Caesar is one of the most important European conqueror of this time (with A. The Great). He fought against Vercingétorix and won in Alesia. He brought us latin (then French language).
Charles Martel won a battle in Poitier against Moorish people in early 8 century.

In France it is a pity but English is not taught very well (both speaking and reading / writing)...

Kind regards,

Pet'
So you guys don't really have one particular founding father of France. In Canada it's simply Champlain for most people, in the USA it's George Washington.

I noticed that English skills are very weak in France when I visited France last year. That's fine because I speak French no problem.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom