all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Any opinions on kettle bell design/modification?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kettlebelltesting

Level 1 Valued Member
kb vs.jpg
Hi everyone! I'm new to kettlebell training and hoping to get some feedback from those with experience. I've been visualizing the above designs to make kettlebells more appealing and comfortable to beginners. So these wouldn't be for the hardcore, no pain no gain type of user. Also, I respect the history of kettlebell and the traditional form and sport. I haven't found much info on kettlebell ergonomics or alternatives with sound reasoning. Like I said I'm a beginner so I'm looking to hear basic reasoning from experiences users. Any inherent problems with changing the bell shape too much?

In terms of function 1,2, or none? And why? What is accepted as the proper grip for the rack position leaves the wrist/forearm aligned similar to the 2 groove version. I could of course change the shape/size/position of the grooves. Also the bell shape and handle could be more traditional but still use the same ideas of padded grooves. It seems having a ball shaped weight pressing into the wrist and forearms when in rack position is not ideal. It also seems like the rack position is just a result of the ball shaped kettle bell and I’m wondering if it could be more comfortable to adjust the shape of the bell like in #1?

I'm only suggesting these designs for new users and people who would otherwise find kettlebells uncomfortable or difficult to handle. More of an offshoot of traditional kettle bells and I'm not suggesting changes to them for any serious competition/training/sport etc. More of a way to start a home gym with as little as possible and I love the versatility of kettlebells!

Of course there could be elements of function and various movements performed I'm overlooking, so that's why I'm looking to everyone here for input. I know something this ergonomically focused would be best to hold to test but any info helps.

Thank you all for your time and feedback!

View attachment 12849
Hi everyone! I'm new to kettlebell training and hoping to get some feedback from those with experience. I've been visualizing the above designs to make kettlebells more appealing and comfortable to beginners. So these wouldn't be for the hardcore, no pain no gain type of user. Also, I respect the history of kettlebell and the traditional form and sport. I haven't found much info on kettlebell ergonomics or alternatives with sound reasoning. Like I said I'm a beginner so I'm looking to hear basic reasoning from experiences users. Any inherent problems with changing the bell shape too much?

In terms of function 1,2, or none? And why? What is accepted as the proper grip for the rack position leaves the wrist/forearm aligned similar to the 2 groove version. I could of course change the shape/size/position of the grooves. Also the bell shape and handle could be more traditional but still use the same ideas of padded grooves. It seems having a ball shaped weight pressing into the wrist and forearms when in rack position is not ideal. It also seems like the rack position is just a result of the ball shaped kettle bell and I’m wondering if it could be more comfortable to adjust the shape of the bell like in #1?

I'm only suggesting these designs for new users and people who would otherwise find kettlebells uncomfortable or difficult to handle. More of an offshoot of traditional kettle bells and I'm not suggesting changes to them for any serious competition/training/sport etc. More of a way to start a home gym with as little as possible and I love the versatility of kettlebells!

Of course there could be elements of function and various movements performed I'm overlooking, so that's why I'm looking to everyone here for input. I know something this ergonomically focused would be best to hold to test but any info helps.

Thank you all for your time and feedback!

I think there might be some value in the idea, to make it more appealing to beginners. Kettlebells can be somewhat intimidating and hurt the forearms in the beginning.

That said, I dont like in particular those two designs. They have sharp edges that can hurt your forearm if you miss the recess in the bell. The bells have to be forgiving because the movements dont always go exactly as planned.

I think there might be some value in the idea, to make it more appealing to beginners. Kettlebells can be somewhat intimidating and hurt the forearms in the beginning.

That said, I dont like in particular those two designs. They have sharp edges that can hurt your forearm if you miss the recess in the bell. The bells have to be forgiving because the movements dont always go exactly as planned.
Many sports and activities can be intimidating (and be uncomfortable on various body parts) in the beginning; but that is all a part of the experience. Learning the proper techniques. Hardening the body and spirit. Sometimes the very essence and magic of it all.

Enlightenment never happens with a soft pillow and a full belly...

About the only tweak I'd like to try would be making the body shaped more like a vertical rugby ball than a sphere.

It wouldn't effect balance or handling but would put the center of mass closer to the arm and have a larger curve resting on the arm in the rack or press. Would also give a better handhold when gripping by the horns.

The grooves take away the big advantage of the kettlebell, namely conforming to everyone. With the grooves it will put the bell into a predetermined position which will be less then ideal for most people (much the same like a weight machine).

And what happens on a clean or a snatch when you don’t hit a groove perfectly, now you’re banging into a sharp edge

I think honestly it is a terrible idea (no offense)

@kettlebelltesting, for me - no disrespect intended - this is a solution in search of a problem. People have been using kettlebells for hundreds of years, and anything new always runs the risk of being "uncomfortable or difficult to handle."

Those are always the risks of product design and development, I agree. That is why I do research on the problem and proposed solutions, to better understand the user. I have read, been told, and felt that the convex surface applying pressure to the arm is uncomfortable at times, especially during long sets with the bell in the rack position constantly like double bell squats. like I said I respect the tradition and history but because something has worked for hundreds of years doesn't mean it can't be improved i.e, shoes, farming implements, fishing/hunting equipment etc. Also if the user doesn't have to think about holding the weight as much due to improved comfort in some form it could allow them to improve performance by doing more reps, lifting more etc.

Even if I find one small element to improve for user comfort/improved performance it could make a successful design. Like another user mentioned, simply elongating the bell slightly could increase surface area contact on arm and improve grip when grabbing the horns. Maybe just a small change. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Thanks for the contribution. Yeah i'll eliminate the rough edges for sure. Maybe the form itself can be more forgiving by only slightly altering the shape as well as through material selection for the cast iron coating. Maybe one side could have smoothed grooves of some sort and the other side traditional. Just brainstorming. Thanks again.

About the only tweak I'd like to try would be making the body shaped more like a vertical rugby ball than a sphere.

It wouldn't effect balance or handling but would put the center of mass closer to the arm and have a larger curve resting on the arm in the rack or press. Would also give a better handhold when gripping by the horns.
Great observation! I truly appreciate the feedback. A larger curve and more surface area totally makes sense. Definitely worth exploring. I like the added benefit of a better grip on the horns, could help people of different body types get a better grip too.

It wouldn't effect balance or handling but would put the center of mass closer to the arm and have a larger curve resting on the arm in the rack or press. Would also give a better handhold when gripping by the horns.front new copy.jpgDid a quick revision tonight. Based on dimensions of competition kettle bell, would be same height. Would also bring center of gravity around 1.5-2 inches closer to the body. Solid version about 65lbs and hollow for lighter versions for the beginners like competition bells.

Did a quick revision tonight. Based on dimensions of competition kettle bell, would be same height. Would also bring center of gravity around 1.5-2 inches closer to the body. Solid version about 65lbs and hollow for lighter versions for the beginners like competition bells.

@kettlebelltesting

I appreciate your efforts to bring more people into the fold of kettlebell training. Thank you.

I have been coaching kettlebells for the past 10 years and the #1 issue I see with the average "fitness enthusiast" is when they look at a kettlebell they have no clue what it is or what to do with it! I see this being a problem with your design. People will look at it and the confusion may only get amplified.

I would echo Steve's comment of providing a solution in search of a problem. Your target market wouldn't be anyone who has already embraced the RKC or StrongFirst as that person probably wouldn't see any need for an alternative bell design. Now, if you can make inroads with an established fitness company to market it properly then you may have something that people unfamiliar with the traditional kettlebell can embrace and start training with.

Could also bring the top of the bell a little past the bottom of the horns, it won't interfere with anything.
I get what you're saying on the high spots, essential rotating the handle on the bell 90 degrees or just smoothing out. I played with the bell entering into the handle area a little bit and I'll explore some more too. Have to agree on the aesthetics unfortunately, maybe I can improve them with some texture on the bell coating or only partially covering the bell in the softer material, and other ways. I'll have to do some sketching to work on it. Form definitely has to follow the function on this one though, so I'll have to see what's reasonable. Thanks a lot for the continued input!

@kettlebelltesting

I appreciate your efforts to bring more people into the fold of kettlebell training. Thank you.

I have been coaching kettlebells for the past 10 years and the #1 issue I see with the average "fitness enthusiast" is when they look at a kettlebell they have no clue what it is or what to do with it! I see this being a problem with your design. People will look at it and the confusion may only get amplified.

I would echo Steve's comment of providing a solution in search of a problem. Your target market wouldn't be anyone who has already embraced the RKC or StrongFirst as that person probably wouldn't see any need for an alternative bell design. Now, if you can make inroads with an established fitness company to market it properly then you may have something that people unfamiliar with the traditional kettlebell can embrace and start training with.
Thank you, and thanks for sharing your observation based on so many years of experience! I've wondered about that, and I haven't thought of any ways to make the use more intuitive. It seems kettle bell use is just one of those things that needs to be learned. Maybe instructions of some sort(diagrams of core movements) on the wall in a gym next to the equipment or on a point of sale display in a retail store(would be very difficult to make successful because of the importance of form and the complexity of movements, well I would guess anyways) . However I know that could never compare to valuable in person training or video content.

That's what I had in mind for the target market, focusing on new users. Good call on the established fitness company. Would probably be best to change the name of the bell too. It would be interesting to see how new users would respond to the different pieces of equipment.

This project just started out from my love for health/fitness in order to work on design skills. I've worked on consumer electronics, furniture, outdoor gear etc and just wanted to explore something new and learn more about kettle bells.

Thanks for your advice!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom