all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Anyone dealt with loss of strength due to pinched nerve (cervical radiculopathy)

Hi Ceen,

Glad to hear you're improving.
In all honesty, I probably did nothing about it for the first 12 months or so, apart from the occasional painkiller, and trying to stretch as best I could. I carried on working as normal as well. A few months ago, I decided to take some time off and have some second (3rd, 4th etc) opinions. So, I was seen by a physiatrist who performed another EMG on all 4 limbs and said that my nerves are fine apart from a small residual chronic dysfunction on C6 and then diagnosed tendinopathies at the elbow and rotator cuff from overuse and had me do some physio (ice, currents and massage) every day for 4 weeks. Also started a training program with light weights to strengthen the tendons for about 3 weeks. Other orthopaedics and physios said that I don't have tendinopathy, and it has to do with the nerve.
So I've started physio under a different guy, the last 4 weeks, once a week. He also gave me a different exercise program, all body movements, no weights.
Last week he was on holiday, so I saw a sports therapist. She had a good look at me, took some measurements (hips etc) and discovered many significant muscle imbalances. So, she gave me ANOTHER program, which I started 2 days ago. It's going to be in phases, addressing the muscle imbalances and posture before moving on to strength.

When you say you couldn't cut onions, was that because your fingers wouldn't coordinate, or was it because of the pain? I find it hard to use my fingers (it's slowly getting better).
Hello SteamPunk,

Due to the pain in my shoulder and down triceps area I couldn't do it. My fingers were mostly numb and I have seen a noticeable loss of muscles even in my hand. What I did not talk about in my first post was that because I did not treat my condition properly I developed issues with my lower back and had a impingement in that area because of my disks being thin.
Then I got chronic prostatitis on top of that because of my bad posture and the nerves being pinched in the lower back.
All of this is going away slowly, and the improvements are rare but they come.

For me easy stretching is okey but if I do it to often and to hard it just creates more pain.
I also did alot of body work, combined with bands and then adding a higher lever of resistance with the bands (Different color).

I added some exercises that my fysio did not gave me. I think you have to feel what kind of state your body is in.
And then adjust and adapt to see what works.

/Ceen

Reading through a lot of these experiences I am mighty frustrated at the level of care provided to many of the respondents.

Misdiagnosis of obvious symptoms, failure to get timely referral to a neurologist, failure to get a timely MRI.
While surgery cannot guarantee a positive outcome, if you're already in either constant pain or disabled it should at least be available as an early option. And proper diagnosis can serve as a much better guide for physical therapy.

Very upsetting, I hope the best outcome for you all.

Thanks North Coast. I’ve read your posts as well and you’ve been fighting this for a very long time. And I hear what you say about the level of care. I know that Covid hit and everything but I do believe this could have been addressed sooner. There may also be a cost conscious approach in certain places.

I do admire your tenacity and courage. It’s an ongoing battle. You have more experience in this than me. Have you ever been tested by a neurologist? They’ve all sai that my power is normal, but it doesn’t feel like it. I have to put a lot more effort to produce the same power. it feels like it’s normal, at a stretch. Also, I can’t maintain it for long. And of course, the most frustrating aspect is finger control and fine motor movements.

I think I’ll take some time off again to explore surgical options. I’d just be gutted if I had the surgery and it did nothing…

Hello SteamPunk,

Due to the pain in my shoulder and down triceps area I couldn't do it. My fingers were mostly numb and I have seen a noticeable loss of muscles even in my hand. What I did not talk about in my first post was that because I did not treat my condition properly I developed issues with my lower back and had a impingement in that area because of my disks being thin.
Then I got chronic prostatitis on top of that because of my bad posture and the nerves being pinched in the lower back.
All of this is going away slowly, and the improvements are rare but they come.

For me easy stretching is okey but if I do it to often and to hard it just creates more pain.
I also did alot of body work, combined with bands and then adding a higher lever of resistance with the bands (Different color).

I added some exercises that my fysio did not gave me. I think you have to feel what kind of state your body is in.
And then adjust and adapt to see what works.

/Ceen
I hear you, Ceen. It’s a cascading effect. Once one link goes, everything starts falling apart.
Posture is huge. Try maintaining it whether sitting, standing, walking or sleeping. Keep fighting

Thanks North Coast. I’ve read your posts as well and you’ve been fighting this for a very long time. And I hear what you say about the level of care. I know that Covid hit and everything but I do believe this could have been addressed sooner. There may also be a cost conscious approach in certain places.

I do admire your tenacity and courage. It’s an ongoing battle. You have more experience in this than me. Have you ever been tested by a neurologist? They’ve all sai that my power is normal, but it doesn’t feel like it. I have to put a lot more effort to produce the same power. it feels like it’s normal, at a stretch. Also, I can’t maintain it for long. And of course, the most frustrating aspect is finger control and fine motor movements.

I think I’ll take some time off again to explore surgical options. I’d just be gutted if I had the surgery and it did nothing…
The Neuro assessment I had was basically a strength test vs the Dr, resisting various holds and pushes. When this initially happened the Dr could see a difference in muscle mass and noted some strength differences but they were failry modest. Also in the time it took to get past physio, get the MRI, get on the schedule it was perhaps 3-4 months and my acute symptoms had largely resolved. Speculation was a chunk of disk had come off and impinged on a nerve, and been resorbed over time. I still had loss of strength and to this day my right index finger has so little sensation I have to be careful not to cut or burn it inadvertently. My symptoms currently are pretty minor - pain flareups in my neck, occasional shooting pain across my right delt, right hand numbness. I am damn lucky to this point.

If I continue to have flare-ups or a larger chunk comes off and gets stuck that causes severe pain or disability then I will pursue surgical options. A heavy 2 week dose of corticosteroids did wonders for me on my last flare up. Statistically I should be in the clear, but that's what they told me the 1st time.

I did a lot of training to failure to encourage better activity and maybe firing rate. The literature doesn't really give you a clear guide, only that if you can exercise without triggering symptoms you should do so. Real heavy weight is not an option, so moderate load to failure with dropsets etc seemed to help quite a bit.

I hear you about the failed surgery. Had my right wrist partially fused at about 50% mobility, procedure has a 90% success rate and in my case the first fusion didn't take. The recovery option was to try and debride the bones one final time and try again, or if not enough bone left to debride I was going to get a plate bolted to my radius and my wrist flexion would be permanently fixed in place. But...I couldn't even pick up a gallon of milk or wipe myself without 10+ pain, was ready for a deal with the devil. And if ever there was a standard of when to seek a surgical option for a chronic problem I'd say that's the point, when you have little or nothing left to lose.

The Neuro assessment I had was basically a strength test vs the Dr, resisting various holds and pushes. When this initially happened the Dr could see a difference in muscle mass and noted some strength differences but they were failry modest. Also in the time it took to get past physio, get the MRI, get on the schedule it was perhaps 3-4 months and my acute symptoms had largely resolved. Speculation was a chunk of disk had come off and impinged on a nerve, and been resorbed over time. I still had loss of strength and to this day my right index finger has so little sensation I have to be careful not to cut or burn it inadvertently. My symptoms currently are pretty minor - pain flareups in my neck, occasional shooting pain across my right delt, right hand numbness. I am damn lucky to this point.

If I continue to have flare-ups or a larger chunk comes off and gets stuck that causes severe pain or disability then I will pursue surgical options. A heavy 2 week dose of corticosteroids did wonders for me on my last flare up. Statistically I should be in the clear, but that's what they told me the 1st time.

I did a lot of training to failure to encourage better activity and maybe firing rate. The literature doesn't really give you a clear guide, only that if you can exercise without triggering symptoms you should do so. Real heavy weight is not an option, so moderate load to failure with dropsets etc seemed to help quite a bit.

I hear you about the failed surgery. Had my right wrist partially fused at about 50% mobility, procedure has a 90% success rate and in my case the first fusion didn't take. The recovery option was to try and debride the bones one final time and try again, or if not enough bone left to debride I was going to get a plate bolted to my radius and my wrist flexion would be permanently fixed in place. But...I couldn't even pick up a gallon of milk or wipe myself without 10+ pain, was ready for a deal with the devil. And if ever there was a standard of when to seek a surgical option for a chronic problem I'd say that's the point, when you have little or nothing left to lose.
Yes, I’ve had those tests as well. It’s pretty easy to resist a middle aged lady, and again, I could only do it at a push, on my left side.
It’s weird how it affects all your muscles. My left lats are imperceptible at this point!
it just feels strange, I did some triceps work with a band this evening. I could feel the pump on my right side afterwards. Not on the left. And I still get a burning, tingling sensation when I work them out. Think I’ll just take a hiatus from working, commit to the surgery and a 6 month structured rehab program, see what I can salvage.

Sorry to hear about your wrist! Man, sometimes I wish stem cell therapy worked. Just shoot us an injection and make us brand new :)

Yes, I’ve had those tests as well. It’s pretty easy to resist a middle aged lady, and again, I could only do it at a push, on my left side.
It’s weird how it affects all your muscles. My left lats are imperceptible at this point!
it just feels strange, I did some triceps work with a band this evening. I could feel the pump on my right side afterwards. Not on the left. And I still get a burning, tingling sensation when I work them out. Think I’ll just take a hiatus from working, commit to the surgery and a 6 month structured rehab program, see what I can salvage.

Sorry to hear about your wrist! Man, sometimes I wish stem cell therapy worked. Just shoot us an injection and make us brand new :)
Its all good and best of luck on surgery and recovery. My wrist turned out OK, has very little endurance, but it works and is pain free most of the time. Took about a year and half to fully rehab it. I remember when they cut the cast off I'm looking at this withered twig on the end of my arm, the pain was still off the chart - "can we just put it back in the cast, please?" Nah, instead we're going to hand you off to the tender mercies of Linda, our (hard a$$) in house hand reconstruction PT.

Hi everyone, I hadn't visited for a while. About surgery, I remember my doctor told me it was advised if the pain or disabling effects made "normal" life impossible. Luckily in my case, the severe pain and weakness went away after 6 weeks and has never come back (fingers crossed). It's been a year and a half since that episode, and about five months since my last MRI. Last March the doctor cleared me for "normal" life and training after I completed 10 sessions of PT. According to the MRI, my hernia had diminished in size and there was plenty of space, so there was no pressure on any nerves. I still have some pain mainly in the scapula, a weird sensation as if there was a thread pulling from somewhere. I asked the doctor if I could go back to squats, deadlifts, etc, and he said there was no problem. I should just avoid exercises that cause excessive strain on the neck (boxing exercises, burpees) and things that put pressure on the head (I decided to give up my motorcycle because of the helmet). So while most - if not all- things are on the positive side, I'm still concerned about power and mass. My right side (shoulder, peck, trap and biceps) still looks like my left side's little brother. In terms of power, my right peck and and shoulder are almost equal to the left ones (they used to be stronger), but my right biceps is a lot weaker than its counterpart. I have to admit that just recently I really started paying attention to nutrition (pandemic and all), so I could say that for a month or two I've been serious about this. I have some questions for you and I'd appreciate your help:
- I'm a bit overweight and I want to lose some fat while I gain muscle. Currently I lift and then I finish every session with a 10 minute moderate HIIT routine. Am I doing it correctly?
- I'm also cutting calories to achieve my objectives (2500 instead of the 3000 I should consume daily), while I increase protein consumption. Will I still gain muscle?
- Finally, please recommend the best exercises for mass for shoulders, biceps, pecks. Should I train traps by themselves (specific exercises)?

Thanks in advance

Hello again everyone!

Just a quick question. We've all talked about muscle weakness, but do you feel any sense of fatigue because of denervation?
What I mean is, do you find your muscle gets tired earlier because you have to fire it at a higher rate to get the same force?

Hello again everyone!

Just a quick question. We've all talked about muscle weakness, but do you feel any sense of fatigue because of denervation?
What I mean is, do you find your muscle gets tired earlier because you have to fire it at a higher rate to get the same force?
Yes, absolutely.

Hi everyone, I hadn't visited for a while. About surgery, I remember my doctor told me it was advised if the pain or disabling effects made "normal" life impossible. Luckily in my case, the severe pain and weakness went away after 6 weeks and has never come back (fingers crossed). It's been a year and a half since that episode, and about five months since my last MRI. Last March the doctor cleared me for "normal" life and training after I completed 10 sessions of PT. According to the MRI, my hernia had diminished in size and there was plenty of space, so there was no pressure on any nerves. I still have some pain mainly in the scapula, a weird sensation as if there was a thread pulling from somewhere. I asked the doctor if I could go back to squats, deadlifts, etc, and he said there was no problem. I should just avoid exercises that cause excessive strain on the neck (boxing exercises, burpees) and things that put pressure on the head (I decided to give up my motorcycle because of the helmet). So while most - if not all- things are on the positive side, I'm still concerned about power and mass. My right side (shoulder, peck, trap and biceps) still looks like my left side's little brother. In terms of power, my right peck and and shoulder are almost equal to the left ones (they used to be stronger), but my right biceps is a lot weaker than its counterpart. I have to admit that just recently I really started paying attention to nutrition (pandemic and all), so I could say that for a month or two I've been serious about this. I have some questions for you and I'd appreciate your help:
- I'm a bit overweight and I want to lose some fat while I gain muscle. Currently I lift and then I finish every session with a 10 minute moderate HIIT routine. Am I doing it correctly?
- I'm also cutting calories to achieve my objectives (2500 instead of the 3000 I should consume daily), while I increase protein consumption. Will I still gain muscle?
- Finally, please recommend the best exercises for mass for shoulders, biceps, pecks. Should I train traps by themselves (specific exercises)?

Thanks in advance
It's great that you are improving and the pain is gone. I think you should stay on the higher calorie amount and just keep on training.
This process of gaining back muscles and making the muscles not fatigue is really slow for me, and will take a lot of time and effort.
I think that you have to try out exercises and there are plenty of good people on youtube that will help you with this.

I am 9 months in and I am not even close to where I want to be in strength or fatigue. But the thing that motivates me is never going back to the pain I felt when I started.

Hi everyone, I am a female with C6-C7 and C5-C6 herniated disc. The C6-C7 was severely herniated compressing the nerve.
I have been visiting this forum since the beginning of my symptoms a year ago. The information here has helped me over the past year. I’m going to share my experience.
The symptoms started after packing and unpacking boxes during moving. I was in excruciating pain for the first few days and my muscles were stiff. It was hard to even lift my head or lift a spoon with my left hand when symptoms started. After a while, the pain subsided. I remained with triceps weakness and numbness on index finger.
Two neurosurgeon recommended surgery. One recommend fusion while the other recommended disc replacement. I was looking for a minimum invasive surgery option in my area but I could not find any surgeon who could offer it. I decided to do conservative treatment and physiotherapy instead. My strength recovered slightly over the year but my finger remained numb. I took another MRI after 7-8 months and my disc was still severely herniated compressing the nerve. Two months ago I travelled to an East European country where I visited a chiropractor. He mentioned a reputable neurosurgeon who could do minimum invasive disc replacement.
The neurosurgeon suggested surgery (minimum invasive disc replacement) for C6-C7 as it was compressing the spinal cord and injections for the other disc.
The surgery was short and I felt no pain post surgery. There was no requirement to wear a cervical collar. I was discharged the next day walking. Swallowing was challenging for a few days. It is two weeks post surgery and sometimes I forget I had a surgery. I should not lift anything heavier than 2kg for a few weeks. My index finger is still numb post surgery. The neurosurgeon explained it may takes months until the nerve recovers; even sometimes the damages to the nerve is irreversible. I will try to post in the future to update on the numbness and weakness post surgery.

Hi everyone - I have found this thread really useful, going through this myself at the moment, so I thought I'd make an account and contribute my experience.

I'm also a female, age 43. For a few years now, I've experienced what I thought was a 'shoulder flare-up': For no reason that I could fathom, once every 4-6 months or so, all the muscles in my left shoulder just seemed to spasm for many seconds. When that faded, I was left with a strong dull ache just off my left shoulder blade. This would take about 7-10 days to fade. During the day, the pain wasn't too bad. At night it was really horrible, especially for the first few days. I saw a reputable acupuncturist for many weekly sessions, without any long-term improvement (in terms of reducing the incidence of this). At this point, I just thought it was some muscular thing to do with my shoulder. I didn't notice any muscle weakness.

About 2 weeks ago, I felt a slight discomfort in the usual place and thought to myself 'I hope I'm not getting that shoulder thing again'. I then did a home yoga class, which involved a lot of Downward Dog. They emphasised the importance of getting a straight line from hands to butt - even if bending at the knees. So there was a lot of upwards pressure from my shoulders. I didn't notice any injury or event during the class and finished it as usual. After the class, sitting at my computer, the pain just started to come on and got stronger and stronger until I was in agony.

My entire shoulder hurt - the shoulder blade, across the top of the shoulder, down the top of the arm, and in front where it connects to the collar bone. (That bit hurt especially, even water from the shower touching it, hurt.) I took ibuprofen, acetaminophen, put Deep Heat on it and tried to go to bed. But I couldn't sleep due to the pain and was awake all night. The meds did nothing for the pain that I could tell, neither did naproxen when I tried that.

The next day, I felt slightly better so I decided to try rest and meds and a heat pack for a few days before going to the doctor. The days were not too bad, although my left arm was pretty useless - it had no strength or power to reach out and I kept the elbow tight to my side and tried not to use it. I couldn't even touch my face or pick up my toothbrush. The nights were very painful. They got even more painful when I then pulled a muscle in my right hip by trying to turn onto my side without using my shoulders to rotate (because that hurt) - it felt like my leg was going to pop off. I just felt like my body was falling apart. I stopped using any meds because none of them worked. I can only sleep on my back now, as I can't turn onto my side due to my hip.

A week after the injury, I went to my doctor. He took some bloods for auto-immune issues and joint disorders (I think because I messed my hip up too - but it's just to be sure) and we're waiting for results. He asked me to do various moves and said I have full range of motion in my shoulder (even if it hurts a bit to move it) and I could resist him when he asked me to and pressed on my arm in various ways. So he said he doesn't think it's my shoulder.

I made an appointment with a physio who is a shoulder specialist. He was great and did a lot of tests and really listened. There was one test he did with my left arm where he held the arm bent in a certain way with me lying down and bent the wrist in one direction - which didn't hurt at all - and then he bent the wrist the other way, which did hurt the shoulder. He said that test was an indication it is in my neck, because he had moved nothing in the shoulder joint whatsoever - he'd only bent my wrist differently. Which somehow indicates the neck?!? He said he thought it was cervical radiculopathy coming from my C6 or C7 joint in my neck.

He gave me some exercises to do which sound like some of the McKenzie exercises here - looking down so my chin touches my chest. Looking right and left. Tilting ear towards shoulder on each side. He said I should stand tall always, use my full height, draw up through my skull. (He didn't actually explain how any of this was supposed to help, it was only when I came home and googled it and found this thread, that I realised we were trying to take pressure off the nerve.)

He also had me kinda polish a table with my left arm, moving it in circles - and if possible do that on a wall as well, like you are polishing a wall or car. And he had me hold this lightweight stick up over my head in both hands at the same time. This was hard work and there were a few twinges but it wasn't too painful. The takeaway points seemed to be that there is nothing functionally wrong with my shoulder muscles and I have to try to use my arm even if it feels like it takes a lot of effort. (I don't know if he was worried I was going to get frozen shoulder or something through not using it.)

So that was 5 days ago and I've been doing my exercises many times a day. I am mostly pain-free now (with the shoulder, at least!). Although there are often twinges and aches which come and go. But it's a big change from constant pain and just a few breaks in the pain, to now mostly no pain with occasional twinges.

But the shoulder still is incredibly weak. When I do my table-polishing thing or use my arm, I feel like I've been working out and pressing weights when all I've done is pick up a pencil on my desk and put it back down again. It's so exhausting, I feel like I need a little nap after reaching out for a pencil. Which is ridiculous. And I'm left-handed as well. Still, I'll take weakness over pain any day...

I am probably going to ask for an MRI, just because this has happened to a lesser degree several times in the past and it seems to be happening more frequently. And obviously worse. I'm also now afraid to do yoga again or lift things over my head, for fear of causing this again. :(

I hope you all get better soon!

I'll try and write this and get to the point as much as possible, it's been the longest 2 months of my life by far...
Started out around august 4th I had sever neck pain and pain radiating down my arm, inside index finger and thumb (just at the tips) had a numbness to them..that day the walk in dr, diagnosed it as cervical radiculopathy and said to go get an xray,...xray came back as c5-c6 mild degenerative disc disease...I will spare everyone the 2 weeks of seeing the predatory chiro , but instead will try to explain the pain...
During the day things seemed somewhat manageable, at night unbearable level 10+ pain
Couldnt move my neck, shoulder all the way down the arm felt like it was being dipped in hot grease, this pain lasted until around beginning of September, then it just became sparing referred pain throughout the day it when I would turn my head, particularly to the right side,..What I had been told by my primary care dr in the middle of august was that my muscles were spasming so bad at night that was what was bringing on the immense pain,...through the month of September (month 2) my right arm felt extremely weak and still had referred pain , so i just took it easy,...well at the end of the month I felt it was time to get some resistance bands And start rehabbing myself,...I went to a PT place early on,..super unprofessional and basically told me to do the same thing I had been doing on you tube...it was around 2 weeks ago now I noticed my tricep looked funny (dimple in it) and that I was missing part of my pec you can especially see its flattened out when I put my right hand out
It is just flatter then the left now...
I have 0 pain or sometimes have imagined pain I would say, also have full ROM back...in the last two weeks I been able to do wall pushups and can feel strength returning in my arm and even my chest,...I can flex my muscles which I was told was a good sign..
My dr is gettin me into PT and get an EMG cause he is concerned about the pec atrophy,..he says my tricep seems fine and I am getting better...
It has now been 2 and a half months, my fingers still get numb throughout the day, and my right tricep and pec have this wierd rough grainy and bubbly feeling between skin and muscle feels almost like cellulite but not quite...
Anyway this had been the worst 2 months of my life and I know this is long ,..hoping somebody will respond with something similar and encouraging...

I'll try and write this and get to the point as much as possible, it's been the longest 2 months of my life by far...
Started out around august 4th I had sever neck pain and pain radiating down my arm, inside index finger and thumb (just at the tips) had a numbness to them..that day the walk in dr, diagnosed it as cervical radiculopathy and said to go get an xray,...xray came back as c5-c6 mild degenerative disc disease...I will spare everyone the 2 weeks of seeing the predatory chiro , but instead will try to explain the pain...
During the day things seemed somewhat manageable, at night unbearable level 10+ pain
Couldnt move my neck, shoulder all the way down the arm felt like it was being dipped in hot grease, this pain lasted until around beginning of September, then it just became sparing referred pain throughout the day it when I would turn my head, particularly to the right side,..What I had been told by my primary care dr in the middle of august was that my muscles were spasming so bad at night that was what was bringing on the immense pain,...through the month of September (month 2) my right arm felt extremely weak and still had referred pain , so i just took it easy,...well at the end of the month I felt it was time to get some resistance bands And start rehabbing myself,...I went to a PT place early on,..super unprofessional and basically told me to do the same thing I had been doing on you tube...it was around 2 weeks ago now I noticed my tricep looked funny (dimple in it) and that I was missing part of my pec you can especially see its flattened out when I put my right hand out
It is just flatter then the left now...
I have 0 pain or sometimes have imagined pain I would say, also have full ROM back...in the last two weeks I been able to do wall pushups and can feel strength returning in my arm and even my chest,...I can flex my muscles which I was told was a good sign..
My dr is gettin me into PT and get an EMG cause he is concerned about the pec atrophy,..he says my tricep seems fine and I am getting better...
It has now been 2 and a half months, my fingers still get numb throughout the day, and my right tricep and pec have this wierd rough grainy and bubbly feeling between skin and muscle feels almost like cellulite but not quite...
Anyway this had been the worst 2 months of my life and I know this is long ,..hoping somebody will respond with something similar and encouraging...
Hi J and welcome. Like you, I’ve suffered from cervical radiculopathy for 19 months now. I was in intense pain for the first 7 months or so. I’ve also had weakness. My arms would just buckle trying to do a single push-up at first, and muscles felt sore and wasted. Eventually, strength returned (or muscles compensated, idk). How I feel now though, is an increased stiffness, slow reactions, decreased ROM, fatigue and weakness in the whole left side. I just wanted to say, ive also had that rough, grainy feeling between skin and muscle, on my forearm, where I think certain muscles have been paralysed, or just very weak. Anyway, I’ll have an appointment with a neurosurgeon soon because I’m developing symptoms on my right side as well.

It’s very good that your doctor got right on it and referred you for EMG as well (I was referred more than a year later). Get an MRI as well if you can, and consult a neurosurgeon too, depending on EMG findings

I'm going to put this up here as a general FYI, it may or may not be good advice depending om the individual. If the Dr cannot or will not take any action to reduce the pain then go to the ED. You will receive zero diagnostic treatment but they are well versed in palliative care for people in acute pain from this condition.

My last flare-up the Neurologist couldn't see me for a week, my GP wouldn't return my call, was unable to sleep for more than a few minutes and couldn't sit up straight or use my left arm at all. My left shoulder blade felt as though it had been smashed with a sledge hammer.

ED put me on a course of corticosteroids and gave me a shot of Toradol. It required all of 10 minutes of a nurse's time.

By the end of the day my pain had gone from 10+ to a manageable 3-7 and was able to sit up straight and get some solid sleep. The reduction in inflammation also improved numbness, tingling, lack of motor control etc. Coming off of the corticosteroids was rough, but well worth it.

Hi J and welcome. Like you, I’ve suffered from cervical radiculopathy for 19 months now. I was in intense pain for the first 7 months or so. I’ve also had weakness. My arms would just buckle trying to do a single push-up at first, and muscles felt sore and wasted. Eventually, strength returned (or muscles compensated, idk). How I feel now though, is an increased stiffness, slow reactions, decreased ROM, fatigue and weakness in the whole left side. I just wanted to say, ive also had that rough, grainy feeling between skin and muscle, on my forearm, where I think certain muscles have been paralysed, or just very weak. Anyway, I’ll have an appointment with a neurosurgeon soon because I’m developing symptoms on my right side as well.

It’s very good that your doctor got right on it and referred you for EMG as well (I was referred more than a year later). Get an MRI as well if you can, and consult a neurosurgeon too, depending on EMG findings
Thanks
I'm going to put this up here as a general FYI, it may or may not be good advice depending om the individual. If the Dr cannot or will not take any action to reduce the pain then go to the ED. You will receive zero diagnostic treatment but they are well versed in palliative care for people in acute pain from this condition.

My last flare-up the Neurologist couldn't see me for a week, my GP wouldn't return my call, was unable to sleep for more than a few minutes and couldn't sit up straight or use my left arm at all. My left shoulder blade felt as though it had been smashed with a sledge hammer.

ED put me on a course of corticosteroids and gave me a shot of Toradol. It required all of 10 minutes of a nurse's time.

By the end of the day my pain had gone from 10+ to a manageable 3-7 and was able to sit up straight and get some solid sleep. The reduction in inflammation also improved numbness, tingling, lack of motor control etc. Coming off of the corticosteroids was rough, but well worth

By the end of the day my pain had gone from 10+ to a manageable 3-7 and was able to sit up straight and get some solid sleep. The reduction in inflammation also improved numbness, tingling, lack of motor control etc. Coming off of the corticosteroids was rough, but

By the end of the day my pain had gone from 10+ to a manageable 3-7 and was able to sit up straight and get some solid sleep. The reduction in inflammation also improved numbness, tingling, lack of motor control etc. Coming off of the corticosteroids was rough, but well worth it.
It is impossible to get answers while waiting to see the professionals...worst part was when I thought I had it beat and the pain had subsided around the four week mark, I figured the weakness was just left over from all the muscle spasms and immpbilization,.. was devastated when one day I noticed a dent in my upper pec, that then sent me back through a rabbit hole of anxiety that I cant seem to get my head out of...I try to be grateful I'm not in the pain I was in, but the consequences of this injury never seem to end!
Also strange are the symptoms, index and thumb tips numb, but no bicep weakness, ...had tricep weakness but it affected my pec more so.
Anybody who's reading I highly reccomend getting a massage gun,...I use it to loosen up my traps and neck area every morning, makes morning neck stretches much easier

Back
Top Bottom