all posts post new thread

Barbell Anyone do light deadlifts for overall health reasons?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
I'm not into building a special floor for deadlifts, so I guess my maximum lift is kind of capped... Anyone do deadlifts at sub-maximum weight as a kind of maintenance thing - like lifting around your own bodyweight or something like that?

I think you'd be better off using a different lift at that point. There are many hinge movements other than swing that one can choose.

I use sandbag DL in place of the jump when doing burpees, but that is just for a warmup. I occasionally use light weight Good Mornings for long reps, alternating every few reps straight leg and bent leg.

I'm not into building a special floor for deadlifts, so I guess my maximum lift is kind of capped... Anyone do deadlifts at sub-maximum weight as a kind of maintenance thing - like lifting around your own bodyweight or something like that?
Buy a single 4' x 6' x either 1/2" or 3/4" rubber mat - it's all you need to deadlift and be able to drop them. For years, I lifted on a 1/2" rubber mat that was on top of handmade, irregular tiles in our basement, and no damage to the tiles ever took place.

-S-

How light are we talking about? Because I’ve been training Easy Strength style for years and it’s wonderful.

Also, you don’t really need doing conventional pulling. At all.

Being a fellow grappler, you could benefit A LOT from doing power cleans (the ones that doesn’t get dropped to the floor), hang cleans, stiff (not straight, just stiff) deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts and, my two personal favorites: snatch grip deadlift and Romanian snatch grip deadlift.

Besides, you could always use a couple of bumper plates as a base for your conventional deadlifts, so you can save your floor.

Buy a single 4' x 6' x either 1/2" or 3/4" rubber mat - it's all you need to deadlift and be able to drop them. For years, I lifted on a 1/2" rubber mat that was on top of handmade, irregular tiles in our basement, and no damage to the tiles ever took place.

-S-
Okay, I'll do that. I was getting pretty "okay" with deadlifting a few years ago. I got pretty close to 400lbs but was still placing the bar back down gently on the floor.

The other thread reminded me of the importance of at least deadlifting with a barbell. I don't think the bench press would do much for me personally even though it's an awesome move. The military press I'm kind of already doing with kettlebells. The back squat needs a rack. :) Deadlift is the best one anyhow.

I would agree that there isnt much utility to significantly sub-max deadlifts, and that there are much better ways of training the hip hinge.
That's a very interesting point. I wouldn't have thought that but it makes sense.

How light are we talking about? Because I’ve been training Easy Strength style for years and it’s wonderful.

Also, you don’t really need doing conventional pulling. At all.

Being a fellow grappler, you could benefit A LOT from doing power cleans (the ones that doesn’t get dropped to the floor), hang cleans, stiff (not straight, just stiff) deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts and, my two personal favorites: snatch grip deadlift and Romanian snatch grip deadlift.

Besides, you could always use a couple of bumper plates as a base for your conventional deadlifts, so you can save your floor.
Well the closest thing would be Romanian deadlifts I guess. What kind of weight do you use for these (and other moves listed if you feel up to letting me know)?

For light deadlifts, I like the variant that pauses at mid shin or just below the knee. It really hammers the sticking point. Pause at your sticking point. The weight will be much lower than your deadlift. Another alternative is rows from the ground up.

For squat, you can do bottom up squats. Setup some sawhorses. Not sure about your location, but in the USA these are very inexpensive. And they fold up and can be placed under the bed or in a closet (dont take up much space).

For bench press... Well, I havent done a bench press since September 2019. I've been doing floor presses. I like them better. They only require once per week training, 3 sets of 5 for example. And will really increase your upper body strength, including triceps and lats and upper back. No equipment required.

Do different deadlifts that require light weights. Picks the weights up differently every time.

Suitcase or 1 arm deadlift
Single leg DL
Zercher Deadlift
Power cleans/snatches
Zercher deadlifts are one of the most powerful lifts ever. I remember when I very first started doing them an I could barely do bodyweight and pushed it bulgarian lite style upto 160kg before I plateaued.

Fast forward to over a year later when I rotate zerchers back in and my new starting weight is 140kg and my new end weight is 200kg (that was an ugly rep). Zerchers will definitely be rotated in later this year. Hoping to end at 220kg. Would be IMMENSELY pleaser with myself if I could acheive that.

The sheer ROM forces you to become strong in positions that a regular deadlift does not. So applicable to grapplers too, especially wrestlers or MMA practitioners with an against the cage focus. No one is getting out of your double under hooks after getting good at zerchers. In addition a pick up and slam from the floor is easily done when you've gotten strong at zerchers.

What are the health benefits? Strength through a greater ROM. You are forced to enhance your flexibility and strength. Zerchers also require a lot of core stability too.

Zercher deadlifts are one of the most powerful lifts ever. I remember when I very first started doing them an I could barely do bodyweight and pushed it bulgarian lite style upto 160kg before I plateaued.

Fast forward to over a year later when I rotate zerchers back in and my new starting weight is 140kg and my new end weight is 200kg (that was an ugly rep). Zerchers will definitely be rotated in later this year. Hoping to end at 220kg. Would be IMMENSELY pleaser with myself if I could acheive that.

The sheer ROM forces you to become strong in positions that a regular deadlift does not. So applicable to grapplers too, especially wrestlers or MMA practitioners with an against the cage focus. No one is getting out of your double under hooks after getting good at zerchers. In addition a pick up and slam from the floor is easily done when you've gotten strong at zerchers.

What are the health benefits? Strength through a greater ROM. You are forced to enhance your flexibility and strength. Zerchers also require a lot of core stability too.
Sounds like I need to learn more about this!

I think in RotK Pavel mentions something like Dimel deadlifts that are done with light weights and without touching the floor for high reps. If you have the book it might be interesting to see what Pavel has to say about them.

Other than that wouldn't explosive barbell lifts be the natural evolution for you if weights are limited? As a Judo guy exercises like cleans and snatches will probably also have great carry over to the mat.

I was going to suggest cleans/clean pulls.

Also, you should be able to lower deadlifts without destroying your floor, unless you're using iron/steel plates. I wouldn't advocate power cleans/clean pulls in that case either.

I was going to suggest cleans/clean pulls.

Also, you should be able to lower deadlifts without destroying your floor, unless you're using iron/steel plates. I wouldn't advocate power cleans/clean pulls in that case either.
Thank you. I was pulling almost 400lbs for a while and still able to lower the barbell down smoothly. The plates are plastic so you know what, I'm probably okay to keep at the deadlifts in the basement. This is exciting! :)
It's funny how knowledge-based all of this is. People outside the exercise community would have no idea! :) This is not caveman grunt stuff, hahaha!

I think in RotK Pavel mentions something like Dimel deadlifts that are done with light weights and without touching the floor for high reps. If you have the book it might be interesting to see what Pavel has to say about them.

Other than that wouldn't explosive barbell lifts be the natural evolution for you if weights are limited? As a Judo guy exercises like cleans and snatches will probably also have great carry over to the mat.
Dimel DLs are great too - I had forgotten about these (and I need to re-add them to the exercise rotation). Thank you.

Thank you. I was pulling almost 400lbs for a while and still able to lower the barbell down smoothly. The plates are plastic so you know what, I'm probably okay to keep at the deadlifts in the basement. This is exciting! :)
It's funny how knowledge-based all of this is. People outside the exercise community would have no idea! :) This is not caveman grunt stuff, hahaha!
To the one part of your question, I use steel Oly. plates, and lift on my concrete garage floor. I use a sheet of 1/2" plywood on the floor, with a dense 1/2" thick rubber mat over top. I set my bar down hard, sometimes, but don't drop it ever. It's held up well. I also use 3/4-1" dense playground style rubber mat under my reg. bbell. Rubber mats are cheaper than bumper plates. At my age, I've adopted Jack LaLanne's credo, of using lighter weights for more reps. At the moment I'm lifting 5-8 reps off a 2" high platform and only up to 225 lbs. But a few years ago, I was testing my grip and repaired shoulder and did 2-3 reps with 370. But I didn't drop that hard either. I'm planning on raising my platform to 3" in a couple months.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom