all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Anyone Running Kettlebell Burn Extreme Right Now?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Following this as someone who recently ran it. There are absolutely days where I thought I was cooked before I even started. Then, hitting the bells woke my whole body up. I really learned a lot about how fatigue feels for me through this program and was able to find a sweet spot where I could continue with 6 days a week work outs (obviously not all out every day, but steady progress across the board) and plugging in deloads when a..."thicker" wall starts looming.

I'm at the end of week 2 and about 9.5lbs down (194.5 -> 185#). So far 100% strict with the diet and the cold showers. Honestly, the hardest part has been how much I'm cooking.

I think I must have a slightly different version than you as my workout B is double swings and double cleans. I bought it a few months back when Geoff had a sale.

Any thoughts on what you'll do after? I can't wait to do this program again but Geoff says only to do it twice a year. When I bought it, I got some hybrid options too for doing it with barbell and bodyweight so I'll probably do one of those next time through.

I'm at the end of week 2 and about 9.5lbs down (194.5 -> 185#). So far 100% strict with the diet and the cold showers. Honestly, the hardest part has been how much I'm cooking.

I think I must have a slightly different version than you as my workout B is double swings and double cleans. I bought it a few months back when Geoff had a sale.

Any thoughts on what you'll do after? I can't wait to do this program again but Geoff says only to do it twice a year. When I bought it, I got some hybrid options too for doing it with barbell and bodyweight so I'll probably do one of those next time through.
Nice result. For me, I'm guessing because of all the full body tension from the doubles, Kettlebell Burn Extreme unlocked my one arm push up, which got me excited to pursue that, so I've been on a bodyweight focus for the last three months. I also added swings with some waviness. I'm 2 weeks away from going back to doubles and finally jumping on board The Giant.

Not an instructor, but for me, six days a week of doubles for a month is a lot of doubles, so looking at bodyweight or single bell programs depending on your goals isn't the worst idea.

Great work Matt! Yes that is the old program. I was tempted to do that again, but decided to try this.
In regard to the what to do after, if you haven't hit your goal weight is run the same principles but adjust a little.
For example,
If the cold showers work for you, keep them, or do contrast hot and cold showers, or shelve them. Make sure you recover hard. Foam roll, sleep, etc.

Workout, plenty of options. Geoff's Kettlebell Burn is an excellent one and it is singles 3 days a week or one of his More Kettlebell Muscle programs like the Wolf. I've never found the Burn Extreme workouts to be too intense, they're actually manageable.

Most important, diet. It's a hard diet for 28 days. But how about stick to the same foods and instead of having the two low carb days and a 36 hour fast after a cheat day, try this:

One cheat Meal per week. Also eat fruit only on that day.
One 24 hour fast the day after cheat meal
The other 5 days, eat the same as you would on the grind days of Burn Extreme:
3-4 meals of protein, green vegetable and complex carbs. Carbs should be 100 g or less for the day.

If you eat green vegetables with every meal, keep your blood sugar low by eating complex carbs, and eat a lot of protein, you will get leaner. Guaranteed.

I think you'll have to change your handle after this. ;-)

Nice work. Looking forward to hearing your final results.

Weigh-in update this AM 180.6. -6.6 from 3 weeks ago. Cheat day Saturday, went out to breakfast and dinner. Didn't pig out but had hash, eggs and toast for breakfast and a veal parm sub, with fries and a salad for dessert. Easy day workout Saturday, was meh. Quit after 23 minutes. The snatch workout, instead of doing sets of 20 with the 35, I did sets of 10,10 with the 45 then rested. Got to 200 and stopped
4th fast in the books 40 hours, no issues whatsoever. Had a busy afternoon on conference calls that dragged me through the witching hour.

Yesterday it was rainy and I was bored went to the gym to do some pullups and a walk. First time I've gone since starting the program just after Easter. Amazing how easier pullups are when you lose weight. I did about 30 in sets of 3. Then on the treadmill, decided to run. Hadn't done it 4 weeks. 30 minutes, 3.37 miles and honestly wasn't that much of a challenge.

Waist measurement around navel 35.75. One more week to go.

That was a great pitcher's duel last night. Richards in the previous outing couldn't find the strike zone with Google maps. They simplified his motion to a stretch with just, "pick your leg up slowly". He was truly simple and sinister last night.

Ending week 3. 183 now but bigger in the right places. Been a tough 3 weeks. I'm in residency so I work about 2 overnights a week + high stress and still haven't burnt out though. Next week I will get much better sleep and am looking forward to the extra days off. Only non-compliance so far as been eating only 2 meals on protein sparing modified day on accident.

Day 28 in the books. Final weight 181.4, a loss of 10-11 lb. Navel measurement 35.5 inches. I love this measurement. Was 38 a couple of months ago.

Notes:
Workouts: I didn't follow the workouts all the time to a T, but did something similar. For heavy day of swings, I grabbed a 70 and did two hand swings. 350 in 20 minutes. For snatches, instead of the one arm snatches of 20-25 with a 35. I used a 45 and did 200 snatches.
On the grinds day, the last 2 workouts, instead of doing sets of 3 and 4 with 55's I did 10 sets of 5,5,5 with a complex of Press, Squat, Row with 45s, 60-75 seconds rest between sets.

Food: I did a 40 hour fast all 4 times. But I started day 1 with it. Cheat days were Sunday, Saturday, Saturday, Friday, due to social obligations. I added almonds and walnuts to the diet, especially on no carb days. On non-cheat days, I DID NOT eat, any type of bread, pasta, cheese, fruit or dairy. 90% compliant. The diet is not hard, once you get through the first week. Fasting can be a grind, but if you stuff yourself enough the day before, it can be done. In reality, you're not going to eat after dinner so 3 hours there, 8 hours sleep, 8 hours the next night, so it's in reality getting through 17 waking hours without food. Drink a lot of water on this day and no carb days and have a small glass of apple cider vinegar lemon juice 2 tbs. apiece with water to take the edge off. It blunts hunger for some reason.

Recovery: I foam rolled and did deep breathing with my feet up. Quit on the cold therapy after week 1

Anything else added: Stomach vacuums, planks and ab roller 3x a week. Band pull aparts 100/day. Walking the puppy 5 x / week

Where do we go from here? Probably the most important question everyone asks after finishing a program. Going on vacation in 5 weeks down to Florida, so here's what I plan on doing.

Keep the principles of the diet without being extreme.
Days 1-5, same food choices, except have complex carbs every day instead of no/low carb 2x/week
Day 6, cheat meal. I love doughnuts but I'd rather eat a big meal with dessert which happens to be Mother's Day this Sunday.
Day 7, fast from cheat meal to dinner next day (22-23 hour fast), have a normal dinner like days 1-5

Workouts: Back to the 102 workouts 3/week and going to the gym to do some dips, pullups and a run.

Lesson learned again. It's 85% diet. You do not need to kill yourself physically. I ran ONCE on a treadmill for 30 minutes and wasn't breathing heavy. 30 minute workouts are long enough. Walking is a great way to move calories around, especially with the weather getting nice.

Nice work! I just started up Burn Extreme today (after fasting yesterday). Question, when you moved your cheat days where did you put in your fasting day? I will wind up having a Sunday and Friday cheat day as well and was wondering where to schedule the fast in? Did @Geoff Neupert give you advice?

I put it in the day after.
First week it went as scheduled. Cheat Day Sunday Day7 , Fast Monday.

Weeks 2 and 3 The cheat day was on a Saturday, so I fasted on Sunday after.

The 3rd Carb Day or what is supposed to be day 5 (Saturday), I shuffled to the following Monday

So it looked like this
Fast Sunday
Carbs Monday (Third carbs day from previous week which is Day 5)
Carbs Tuesday (First carbs day, following week)
No Carbs Wednesday
Carbs Thursday
No Carbs Friday
Cheat day Saturday
Fast Sunday
Same as above on Monday Tuesday, etc.

In final week, cheat day was Friday 4/30
5/1 I did the no carb which was supposed to be Friday's plan

and 5/2 yesterday did carbs, but fasted for 23 hours before eating.

I shuffled it around on my own. It's not going to throw much off. Just make sure you eat carbs on grind days and no carbs on ballistic days. I did not work out other than walk on fast days.

Finished at 181.5 (from 194.5). 13lbs in 28 days. Very happy with the mirror test. 28kg for A workouts. 24kg for B (hadn't swung in 4 months so played it safe).

Weeks 1-3, was 100% compliant with diet, exercise, and recovery with 2 overnight shifts a week. Progressed with every work out in terms of # of sets.

Week 4 I ended up moving so I got 8 hours of sleep every night but there was a lot of the labor that comes with moving. On moving day (Tuesday) we had no cookware and I didn't have anything premade (my mistake) so I fasted all day and ate Chinese food for dinner. That was the only noncompliance for the month. Didn't get burned out on the workouts or the recovery but was really grumpy about the diet near the end. I also think my heavy days were sub par because of the amount of other exercise I was doing all week in the new place. Still great progress though.

I'm heading to a beach vacation in 2 weeks so I'm going to keep the diet going (despite the grumpy feelings) until we leave. It's just two weeks. No idea what work outs to do for the next two weeks or what to do when I get back so I'm super stoked to read a bunch of programs and see what inspires me.

Thanks Geoff!

Congratulations, Mattisthin. Great work. Just pick some workouts from Geoff's 102 Kettlebell Workouts. Do single bell stuff for a change of pace.

Hey I’m just wondering if I Could benefit from using extreme diet plan while running the Giant progra, right now I’m doing keto but not really feeling it anymore. kinda wanna add complex carbs back into the diet..

Yes you sure can. It's 85% the diet. Make sure you do the fasts. That's the gamechanger. Do the Giant on Carb days/cheat day. Walk on days off.

Happy to see the good results listed here!

This is day 2 for me, so I’m hoping for something similar. I was getting lazy and inconsistent doing S&S and wanted to give myself a shock/wake-up.

I am starting out doing evening workouts due to my schedule and the fact that I generally do not enjoy eating during the day (I normally don’t eat anything until 6:30-7). The only problem is that it’s easy to get distracted with home/family stuff when I get home from work, but I’m determined to keep after it and if it becomes a problem then I’ll adapt to a different schedule.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom