all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Are HEAVY swings worth it?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Fair enough.

Given the context of the Westside approach, I was contemplating attacking the timed standards this way

One lighter day where rests are shorter and reps are higher

A heavier day where you use 2 or more bell sizes up and keep rest longer, reps lower to really develop that explosive drive..

Don't see why that wouldn't work. Basically the same approach with a different implement.
the idea behind the speed days' short rest period was to be able to keep muscle tension high with a lighter weight and maximize force at the same time ( 100% force out put for, say, 30 reps on the bench ( 10 sets of 3) which would be impossible with a true max weight

Don't see why that wouldn't work. Basically the same approach with a different implement.
the idea behind the speed days' short rest period was to be able to keep muscle tension high with a lighter weight and maximize force at the same time ( 100% force out put for, say, 30 reps on the bench ( 10 sets of 3) which would be impossible with a true max weight

Much appreciated. I wanted to run it by you as you have a great understanding of how certain individuals (like me) do better at sprints for certain activities

Reactions: Rif
Much appreciated. I wanted to run it by you as you have a great understanding of how certain individuals (like me) do better at sprints for certain activities
No problem. Even if one is not strong at specific rep or time range training it will make it better. Strengthening all the components, especially the weak ones, help the overall package

To paraphrase some of the points made: the issue may be that you have not developed a high enough "strength reserve" to apply against the 60kg without causing a big hit to recovery. It's all relative to what is "heavy" for the individual . Secondly, recall the rule that the more "heavy" days you have, the more "light" days you need. Alone, a single day of hitting higher intensities in itself is not an issue, but as one accrues more of those days, one must temper them with light days. Such is the ebb and flow of all training!

Why would you get rid of the bell? You might miss it later on.

There are people swinging very heavy kettlebells and they see the worth in it.

64kg is too much for my own taste but if you're swinging something safely that is heavy, you're developing heavy swinging strength so you're getting something out of it.

Fair enough.

Given the context of the Westside approach, I was contemplating attacking the timed standards this way

One lighter day where rests are shorter and reps are higher

A heavier day where you use 2 or more bell sizes up and keep rest longer, reps lower to really develop that explosive drive..

I understand that this is exactly what the updated S&S recommends.

That being said I wonder if same approach should be used for KB presses?

Anything that makes you stronger/faster is worth it, as long as you don't get injured.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom