all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Arm tired doing kettlebell swing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Michael D

Level 1 Valued Member
I am doing two hand kettlebell swing with a 16kg bell. I think I have a proper hinging technique, and swing the bell in a fluid way. I make a point to emphasize hip action, and also let the bell float on top (around eye level) for a bit before letting it go down. One thing that I noticed is that my arms get tired fairly quickly... not sure if there is something else in technique that I am missing, or the weight is just too heavy for me... I am 36, desk bound, and I haven't exercised regularly for several years now.

You are building strength and endurance. It will come with time.

I would seek out a qualified Strongfirst instructor.

+1 what @Mark Kidd said.

In the meantime, if your forearms or back side of your shoulder -- sort of where the back of your arm (triceps) and back (lats) meet up and a little above that -- are the parts of your arm that are getting tired, you're probably doing OK. If it's the front of your shoulders, DEFINITELY what @Mark Kidd said (specifically, about seeking out an instructor).

@Ryan Toshner

The thing about Bells is there really isn't anything like it that I have came across. I quickly found the big six moves of SFG 1 will expose where you are weak, but the nice thing is, the exercise that exposes it corrects it. At least that it was I have found after coming back from two rather serious injuries.

@Michael D, welcome to StrongFirst.

Best to see an instructor in person or, in lieu of that, post a video of your swing here - camera at about a 45 degree angle to the front is usually good.

-S-

@Michael D
As the others have said... Instructor or One Day SFG course.

Also did you post somewhere about your training reasons/objectives/goals?

Hello,

As the other said...see an instructor or post a video.

However, may be you are just simply building strength ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

doubtful that the weight is too heavy - if you get a good float at the top the weight is probably fine if not too light. often arms get tired because grip is too tight. make sure you are hooking the bell with the fingers and not squeezing with a tight grip - though your forearms will definitely get worked as you are building strength at the beginning, if you arms get tired, simply back off and rest then start again. you should be stopping BEFORE your arms get tired, you should not be working to the point that your arms are totally cooked. stick with it, the kettlebell is a great tool for combating being desk bound and not working out for years. best of luck.

Two hand swings at 16kg seems awful light. Maybe you are swinging with the arms. Have you tried heavier bells?

Hello,

@Michael D
Otherwise, you can add some specific grip training (coc gripper..)

make sure you are hooking the bell with the fingers and not squeezing with a tight grip
+1

Be also careful with the bell weight. Light is a good thing to begin, however too light can mask some feeling

Kind regards,

Pet'

That's funny, I didn't receive any email notifications for this thread... Just decided to stop by and see if anyone answered. Now need to catch up with all the questions.

@offwidth, this is my first post here, so I didn't post anything about my goals yet. Like I said I am desk bound, so introducing some activity is my primary goal. I found kettlebell to be a fun piece of equipment to work with (probably because of my Russian roots).

@Mark Kidd, I don't have access to a certified instructor, so I did my best to watch the instruction videos about the swing before even attempting it.

@Ryan Toshner, my arms and shoulder were getting tired in the front, not the back, but today I did couple sets of swings, and they weren't tired at all. I am also working out in a gym 3x a week, so it might have been a collection of things: being out of shape, fatigue from the gym workout, etc.

@Geoff Chafe, I actually started swinging with 12kg in the gym, and it seemed too light, so I switched to 16kg. I immediately sensed more burning in the lower back, and also in the wrists. I actually purchased a 16kg kettlebell, so I can use it at home.

To give you a better idea of my strength level now, I can press a 16kg overhead couple times only, so I think I am way below average...

@Steve Freides, great idea about the video. I will definitely try to shoot one, and upload it here for evaluation!

@Keep Lifting, I never thought about grip being a problem. I will try and watch for it.

@Michael D

Average what? The average of someone who has spent a decade doing kettlebells?

The average of a guy who thinks exercise is bringing chips with dip to his mouth while trying to get all episodes of his favourite Netflix TV show in?

The fat person yesterday who pushed her way onto the elevator and held her hot coffee over my infant son (till apparently they caught my look of death) in his stroller, because she didn't want to walk down a flight of steps?

We all get here in different ways. We all have different starting points. For all we know Pavel could have been the weakest kid in school when he started. Please don't kill me Pavel.

My point is, do your best, and forget others. They could be using a bigger bell, but be on the verge of blowing a disc, or a shoulder, or a knee...

Have you checked the instructior directory. Even in my dinky town we have 6 SFG1 instructors (actually one is level two I think).

Have a good day.

@Steve Freides, not sure what is going on with notifications. I made sure they are on, but still didn't receive any emails...

Here is the video of my swing. Pardon office attire... I filmed this during my lunch brake:

@Mark Kidd, it does look like there are 2 instructors in my town.

@Michael D, you can elect to be notified but those notices could just be forum alerts and not emails - please check that, and thanks.

-S-

I got every possible checkbox checked. Just got an email notification from Anna C, not sure where others went.

@Anna C I can see it now by looking at the video. It's funny that it doesn't really feel that I was using my arms to swing it, but I can see how my hip action is not very strong.

@Michael D, one thing you may be experiencing is that, if you miss the first email notifying you of changes in a thread, you won't receive any further emails until you logon to the forum. It doesn't send you notice of every new post, just one notice as soon as something has changed since your last visit and then it's up to you to visit that thread to reset the notification process.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom