all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Army Preparation programing (3 months left)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

songjun94

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi,

I have posted a question on the forum few weeks ago.
I realized that the enlistment date is in October as I said but the Physical Test is on August !

Therefore I need some help with programming until then.
Currently, my training consists of S&S (3-5 times a week) transitioning smoothly towards the 24kg. (6 rounds with 24kg for one arm swings and 4 rounds with 24kg on TGU).

I wanted to reach the Simple goals and then transit to a twice a week barbell strength program with one set of high rep squats for hypertrophy (cf T-Nation article).

I also started incorporating OAPU progression by coach Karen twice a week. (Instead of 3 times a week)
My goal was to gain some strength during 6-8 weeks of OAPU progression and then start working on Pushup numbers from then.

I go rucking every 2 weeks but I guess it is not a priority anymore as I will have time after the Physical Test until Enlistment for that.

How should I re-organize my training?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Seongjun

EDIT
Test consists of :
1) Pushups (2min) : Max points >80
2) Sit ups (2min) : Max points >90
3) 1.5 Km Run : Max points <4min38s

Last edited:
You have some very specific goals so in my book you can train very specifically to achieve them. I would do the push-ups and sit-ups every single day GTG style. I would test total progress every week and work on increasing rep count every day until I would be comfortably above the maximum reps, so that I know that I can achieve them even if things aren't 100% like I planned or would want them to be.

The running practice is something that I do not know well enough to give advice about.

I wouldn't put a big emphasis on other ways of practice until I was comfortable in meeting all the goals. Only afterwards would I try to get myself in a better shape in general, or try to add lean body mass, or such.

You have some very specific goals so in my book you can train very specifically to achieve them. I would do the push-ups and sit-ups every single day GTG style. I would test total progress every week and work on increasing rep count every day until I would be comfortably above the maximum reps, so that I know that I can achieve them even if things aren't 100% like I planned or would want them to be.

The running practice is something that I do not know well enough to give advice about.

I wouldn't put a big emphasis on other ways of practice until I was comfortable in meeting all the goals. Only afterwards would I try to get myself in a better shape in general, or try to add lean body mass, or such.
Thanks for your input. Pavel recommends to get a strong core and does not advice on performing high reps sit ups for army prep. I think I will do low rep sets for core strength and do some high rep sit ups test once every two weeks !

Thanks for your input. Pavel recommends to get a strong core and does not advice on performing high reps sit ups for army prep. I think I will do low rep sets for core strength and do some high rep sit ups test once every two weeks !

High-rep situps are not recommended here but they are vital for scoring high-points in tests. My suggestion is to focus on acing those tests with daily, or almost daily practice of the movements you will be tested on.

@songjun94
S&S is a good foundation, and I would keep at it.
However as mentioned by @apa you probably need to practice what you will be tested on. (S.A.I.D)

I noticed that you didn't mention running in your current programme, yet you are being tested on it. It's been my experience that running and the army go together like gin and tonic.

I would recommend that you add some good amount of long MAF style running. From time to time do some hill work, and tempo runs at test pace.

@songjun94- I would toss out the high rep Squats, big legs are neat to have but can work against your running. I would DL instead. Run S&S Mon,Wed,Fri and do a basic DL plan on Saturday of reps of 5,3,2. Later in the day you practice S&S look to do your running. Mon do 400m repeats, Wed do maybe a couple 1200 meter repeats and Fri do a 5k. Push ups, pull ups and ab roll outs in a GTG way, every day. Don't sweat high rep sit ups. Also some farmers if you can fit them in but don't kill yourself, they are a nice to have.

@songjun94
S&S is a good foundation, and I would keep at it.
However as mentioned by @apa you probably need to practice what you will be tested on. (S.A.I.D)

I noticed that you didn't mention running in your current programme, yet you are being tested on it. It's been my experience that running and the army go together like gin and tonic.

I would recommend that you add some good amount of long MAF style running. From time to time do some hill work, and tempo runs at test pace.

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.
I did not include running first as I was told (and have previously experienced) that Swings cover the running part.
I wanted to include it a bit later to work the test but I guess it is now time to do it!
Thank you !

Seongjun

@songjun94- I would toss out the high rep Squats, big legs are neat to have but can work against your running. I would DL instead. Run S&S Mon,Wed,Fri and do a basic DL plan on Saturday of reps of 5,3,2. Later in the day you practice S&S look to do your running. Mon do 400m repeats, Wed do maybe a couple 1200 meter repeats and Fri do a 5k. Push ups, pull ups and ab roll outs in a GTG way, every day. Don't sweat high rep sit ups. Also some farmers if you can fit them in but don't kill yourself, they are a nice to have.

Hello,

What do you think about having a bit more muscle volume to build endurance and also strength?
I have quite thin legs for my strength that is why I wanted to do a cycle of hypertrophy prior to the army.
For the running, I unfortunately don't have time for now to train twice a day.

It is kind of frustrating to have so many aspects to work on but not enough time.

I have incorporated farmers after S&S. It is amazing!

Seongjun

Maybe wait until after Basic Training for leg size. If I were to go for size I would probably look at one of @DanJohn's programs on his site. He does a remarkable job of combining strength, size and conditioning. A lot of his programs would have what your looking for. He has a two day a week stregth/size program that can easily be worked around S&S. One day is bench and Squats and the 2nd day is bench and DL's.

Maybe wait until after Basic Training for leg size. If I were to go for size I would probably look at one of @DanJohn's programs on his site. He does a remarkable job of combining strength, size and conditioning. A lot of his programs would have what your looking for. He has a two day a week stregth/size program that can easily be worked around S&S. One day is bench and Squats and the 2nd day is bench and DL's.

Yes ! That is exactly what I was going to do once I get the simple goals. But I thought I would have the physical test in October.
Thanks for your advice. I think about working on muscle endurance (GTG pushups), core strength (and endurance) and running to get the physical test points and also do S&S 2-3 times a week to keep the benefits.

If you want to spend the money Military Athlete has programs foe exactly what you need. I think it's 25.00 a month. Sucks to pay but it gives you access to dozens of military programs.

If you want to spend the money Military Athlete has programs foe exactly what you need. I think it's 25.00 a month. Sucks to pay but it gives you access to dozens of military programs.

I will definitely check it out :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom