all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Artificial knee and back squatting

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Molly

Level 4 Valued Member
i had a successful weekend at the Dome a couple of weeks ago and earned my SFG 1. Squatting is a work in progress and wanting to work with more weight than I get with double Kb front squats or a Goblet squat.

Does anyone have experience working with someone who has an artificial knee? Are there special considerations I should be thinking about? Currently all my work is done barefoot but would lifting shoes help? I have this fear in my head of "breaking" the knee.

Any advice or words of wisdom?

Molly

Reactions: Rif
Check with your Dr. first. A buddy of mine got his replaced and goes skiing and lifts without much issue. I believe the big things to avoid are impact from running or jumping.

I think there are at least one or two form members who have 'bionic knees'
Maybe Boosh?

I don't know about artificial knees. I know of two lifters who continue to back squat with artificial hips; one is Ed Coan.

Squatting from a monorack would probably help. It would eliminate the torque on the knee from the walk out.

I had my TKR four years ago this coming August. I've had quite a successful result and although I don't load the knee heavy in my squats or lunges I do squat in some way almost everyday. I have 145 degrees + ROM that I achieved through a LOT of self myofascial release, stretching and squat patterning work
I gave a talk about my journey last year and here's the video

Attachments

• seiza full.JPG
    seiza full.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 5
Check with your Dr. first. A buddy of mine got his replaced and goes skiing and lifts without much issue. I believe the big things to avoid are impact from running or jumping.
exactly. my surgeon told me that those are the two things to absolutely avoid

as far as "breaking" the knee, what is usually restricting ROM is muscular, not the device.Release the muscle tension in the quads and calves and the knee should be very well. Of course, that's no easy task :) but it can be done.

I had my TKR four years ago this coming August. I've had quite a successful result and although I don't load the knee heavy in my squats or lunges I do squat in some way almost everyday. I have 145 degrees + ROM that I achieved through a LOT of self myofascial release, stretching and squat patterning work
I gave a talk about my journey last year and here's the video

Mark, thank you for sharing the video. Great stuff...oh how I can relate. In 2012 I rode my bicycle from Seattle to Washington DC but couldn't walk a block then in Dec 2012 I got the TRK. I don't have your range of motion AND thanks to your video I think it may be to tight quads. They haven't gotten the attention like my feet and ankles get.

MY major focus has been FULL range of motion in the knee and the quads, especially the rectus femoris. A lot of self myofascial release, rolling, stretching and, as you saw, lots of supported squat stretching. Made all the difference. Also, the calves, especially posterior tibialis is very important for knee flexion

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom