all posts post new thread

Barbell Back Squats after 6 years away from the lift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

El Cid

Level 3 Valued Member
I'm about to have regular access to a rack for the first time in over 6 years. I'm planning to get back to the Back Squat to build my 1RM.

I have mostly been Deadlifting for lower body limit strength. I'd call myself an Intermediate DL'er. What I'm looking for are some thoughts regarding a strength cycle of DL and Back Squat given my circumstances. I did a lot of squatting in the past, but it was mostly 8-15 rep work as I was using a bodybuilding/hypertrophy based system for most of my squatting career. I also followed the 20 rep program found in "Super Squats" at one point. I'm thinking that I should probably consider myself a "Late-stage Novice" with the Squat at this point. My technique is pretty solid, but obviously rusty and my training base is low.

My weekly plan is:

Monday - Squat
Wednesday - Deadlift
Thursday - Squat

I'll be swinging Steel Clubs and Maces after my barbell work, and doing 2-3 days of S&S on off days.

Can anyone point me to a program that can work for someone who is considerably ahead with their Deadlift compared to where their Squat is at? I know the two lifts play by different rules and I don't want to make the mistake of plugging my Squat into training as though it's a DL, nor do I want to "reinvent the wheel" here.

Advice or a proven program that fits my situation is highly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Not familiar with a specific protocol and am interested in others' input as well.

If you're making squat a priority and ok with maintaining the deadlift, I might keep the DL on a simple 5x5 linear cycle while taking the SQ sessions on a Low/Med/High undulating intensity rotation.

Wendler program. You can even get an app for your phone.
This is what I thought as well.
Wendler's 531 for Squat and Deadlift, and since you are working to bring up your Squats, do back off sets (even just 2-3 sets of 5 if you didn't want to do the full BBB protocol) of Squats on BOTH days, but after the main lift of the day.

This is what I thought as well.
Wendler's 531 for Squat and Deadlift, and since you are working to bring up your Squats, do back off sets (even just 2-3 sets of 5 if you didn't want to do the full BBB protocol) of Squats on BOTH days, but after the main lift of the day.

Good input :). So back-off sets, I'm assuming in the 60-75% 1RM range then?

Good input :). So back-off sets, I'm assuming in the 60-75% 1RM range then?
If you do BBB, then he recommends the percentage. I don't remember exactly what. If just 3 x 5, yeah... I'd say 60-75% would probably be good.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom