all posts post new thread

Beginning S & S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DCM

Level 6 Valued Member
Background: 41 years old. 69.5 inches. 190 pounds. Good basic fitness with consistent pullups, pushups, running but limited to about three times per week during 30s. Played rugby between ages 18 and 25. Set back with right shoulder labral tear two years ago and now recovered mostly but still with mild soreness and/or click if overtraining (for example pullups limited to sets of 5). Discovered S&S and plan to use to rebuild foundation and gain functional strength.

Week 1 Jan 23-27:
Mon- circuit 5x5 pullups, 5x5 ring pushups, 5x5 pistol squat to chair
Tues- S&S with 30 lb dumbbell. 5x10 two arm swings, 5x1 TGU each side
Weds- S&S with 30 lb dumbbell. 5x10 two arm swings, 5x1 TGU each side
Thurs- S&S with 30 lb dumbbell. 5x10 two arm swings, 5x1 TGU each side
Fri- circuit 5x5 pullups, 5x5 ring pushups, 5x5 pistol squat to chair

Week 2 Jan 30 - Feb 3:
Mon- circuit 5x5 pullups, 5x5 ring pushups, 5x3 pistol squat to kid's chair
Tues- S&S with 16 kg kettlebell. 5x10 two arm swings, 5x1 TGU each side
Weds- S&S with 16 kg kettlebell. 5x10 two arm swings, 5x1 TGU each side
Thurs- S&S with 16 kg kettlebell. 5x10 two arm swings, 5x1 TGU each side
Fri- circuit 5x5 pullups, 5x5 ring pushups, 5x3 pistol squat to kid's chair

Week 3 Feb 6-10:
Mon- circuit 5x5 pullups, 5x5 ring pushups, 5x3 pistol squat to kid's chair
Tues- S&S with 16 kg kettlebell. 6x10 two arm swings, 5x1 TGU each side
Weds- S&S with 16 kg kettlebell. 6x10 two arm swings, 5x1 TGU each side

Thurs- S&S with 16 kg kettlebell. 6x10 two arm swings, 5x1 TGU each side
Fri- S&S warm up only with 16 kg, 2 mile run

Sat - S&S with 16 kg, 5x10 TA swings, 5x1 TGU each side

*Decided to stop other work-outs including pull-ups to focus on S&S other than a run once per week
*3 days ago added scapular wall slides throughout the day GTG method to help shoulders

Week 4 Feb 13-19:

Hello,

*Decided to stop other work-outs including pull-ups to focus on S&S other than a run once per week
*3 days ago added scapular wall slides throughout the day GTG method to help shoulders
That is prety wise actually ! Good choice ! Indeed, S&S and pull ups can tax a little the grip, at least at the beginning. Within a few weeks, you'd be able to hit some pull ups without troubles, while doing S&S. Naturally, you can do some easy pull up on a GTG frame while doing S&S if you feel that your grip recovers well.

Besides, the swings will at least maintain you pull up level.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@DCM
Thurs - S&S with 16 kg, 5x10 TA swings, 5x1 TGU each side
An option you may have is to split swings and GUs. For instance, GUs in the morning, swings the evening (or the reverse of course). If your schedule permits you to do it, and if you can recover from it, it can be an idea to add a little volume ;)

Of course, if you feel perfectly good with your current frame, then do not consider what I said ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks @pet' , 5 am to 6 am is my only window at this point in life but the good part is I can pretty reliably get that time 5-6 days per week. Right now doing the whole S&S program (warm-up goblet squats, hip bridges, halos, swings, getups) takes about 40 minutes. I feel like the books says - the workout gives me more than it takes. I feel like I could add more volume but am trying to be disciplined about holding back a bit to avoid injury and build a good base in terms of stabilizers, cartilage, tendons etc. I can't believe how much better my right shoulder feels while feeling like I am gaining strength at the same time. I haven't decided yet but am thinking about moving up to 7 or 8 x 10 swings volume at around week 6 to 8. I am currently in week 4 of S&S. I've decided to hold off on bodyweight exercises like pullups until much later, maybe even after achieving simple. Thanks again.

Hello,

@DCM
A good thing about S&S are progressions methods.

If you want to be very smooth, and add very progressively volume, you can go to 60 or 70, but only a few times a week at the beginning. It would guarantee you good rest and good progressoin too.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Reactions: DCM
Week 5 Feb 20-26:
*16 kg feels a bit lighter
*swing volume feels easy
*TGU technique improved. Shoulder packing better. Elbow transitions up and down better. Still lots of sloppiness that I wouldn't get away with a higher weight.
*Plan to increase swing volume to 70-80 swings next week
*Probably a good time to find and meet with a SFG
*on the road for the next two weeks. will complete kb work in hotel room or gym

Mon - S&S with 16 kg, 5x10 TA swings, 5x1 TGU each side

Mon - Training session with SFG II. 45 minutes focused on swing only. Made major changes in technique by breaking down the movement and grooving each movement. Hinge, deadlift, and plank. In addition to technique, my intensity was poor and improved with the session. She ran through a few drills to improve technique and intensity and recommended pausing S&S for the rest of this week to focus on drills only and then return to it next week. Overall a great session, very helpful and much appreciated. I'll see how I feel tomorrow and either do drills only or drill a bit and then do the S&S workout. Plan to return to the SFG for another session in about a month.

Tues -
S&S warm-up with 16kg
Drills circuit x3
-BW deadlift x5
-16 kg deadlift x5
-plank x10s
-16 kg hike x5
-thigh-slap swing x5
-16 kg swing x5 ("fast up/slow down")
TGU with sneaker x3

*focusing on body tension yesterday and today makes a more intense workout and helps groove movements
*surely needs much more work but swing is significantly improved

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom