all posts post new thread

Barbell Belt squat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hung

Level 8 Valued Member
I have a few buck to spare. I heard a lot of good things about the belt squat machine. Well, I cannot afford a machine - butt I can afford the belt.
Had anyone do belt squat that way (hang weight under the belt and squat on chairs)? Is it worth the time and effort? And how heavy you usually go?

PS: I plan to invest equipment for the future - right now I don't plan to use it for the next few weeks

Its great to build strong quads, especially if you have a problem of strong back and weaker legs.
Helps training legs easier around an upper body injury or lower back problems ( the belt should be very low on your hips).
And it is great to use mainly for hypertrophy training, so you go at around 50-60% RM or just use a weight to allow you to do 6-12 reps for 3-4 sets.

I heard a lot of good things about the belt squat machine.
Belt Squats

This is definitely one of the best Squat/Leg Exercises there is.

I have used Belt Squats for years as a mean of increasing my Powerlifting Squat.

The Limiting Factor In Squats

One of the limiting factors in developing the legs in a Squat the lower back. The lower back often fatigues long before he legs are complete overload, completely trained.

Belt Squats take the lower back out of the equation.

My reason for doing Belt Squat is...

Weak Legs, Strong Back

In a Squat, my legs give out before my back. When that happens, my leg drive stops, the load is shifted to my back.

That means I end up performing a "Squat-Morning"; my Squat ends up being a Good Morning at some point.

Performing Belt Squat allows me to place more of the workload on my weak point, my legs; which increased my Squat.

The Issue With Powerlifters

One of the main issues with Powerlifters is they use the Competition Lifts as a means of increasing Maximum Strength.

To reiterate what I have stated in previous post, using the Competition Powerlifts does increase Maximum Strength.

However, it come at the expense of promoting and developing poor Technique.

Muscle Fatigue

With each repetition in a movement, Muscle Fatigue begins to occur. That means with each repetition, Technique is slightly altered.

For that reason, Technique needs to be trained while you are fresh.

Developing Strength

Developing Strength for the Powerlifts, any sport, occurs with Auxiliary Exercises that that work the muscle in the sports movement and have a similar movement pattern.

Belt Squat fit that profile for increasing your Back Squat.

Well, I cannot afford a machine -

Few can.

Had anyone do belt squat that way (hang weight under the belt and squat on chairs)? Is it worth the time and effort?
Definitely

As I stated, I have used Belt Squat for years. They dramatically increase my Powerlifting Squat.

And how heavy you usually go?

As Heavy As You Want

Taking the lower back out of the equation in a Belt Squat means you are not going to Squat as much as you will in a Traditional Back Squat, especially a Low Bar Powerlifting Squat.

However, the workload is completely place on the legs.

With that said, I have performed Partial Quarter Belt Squats with up to 540 lbs/245 kg.

Belt Squat On Chairs

That is more like a disaster waiting to happen.

Here Is What You Need for Belt Squats

1) Two Sturdy Boxes to stand on; you want something solid.

2) 'Spud Belt Squat Belt

I have the Women's Belt. It has a shorter length, which means the boxes you stand on don't need to be so high.

3) Loading Pin

I have the IronMind 15 inch Loading Pin.

4) Chain

You many need some chain to hook the Belt Squat Belt to the Loading Pin.

If you need chain or not is dependent on how tall the Loading Pin is, how high the Boxes are and the length of the Belt Squat Belt.

5) Carabiners: To hook the Belt Squat Belt up to the Loading Pin.

The strength on the Carabiner is dependent on the load you use. A few cheap Carabiners have bent with some of my heavy loads.

The Pro of The Belt Squat

1) The workload is place on the legs.

2) If you cannot get the weight up, just unhook the Belt Squat Belt. No being pinned to the floor, as you would in a Back Squat.

3) Concentric Assisted Overloading/Forced Reps

Performing the Belt Squat by holding on to the side of a Power Rack or something else, allows you to perform Assisted Concentric Overloads.

If you cannot drive the weight up with your legs, pull on your Power Rack or whatever you are holding on to. Doing so, allows to Concentric Overload the legs a little more.

4) Eccentric Belt Squats

Eccentric Belt Squat with heavier load can be performed by pulling yourself up the Power Rack, whatever you are holding onto and then lowering the weight.

Straddle Squat Option

Another option to Belt Squat is...

1) Hungarian Core Blaster

This is the Home Made Core Blaster. The cost is around $20.00 of pipe. It take less than 5 minutes to put it together.

I've had mine for around 5 years. I used it for Heavy Kettlebell Swing with up to 170 lbs.

I began using it for Straddle Squat about 6 months ago. It really overloads the legs.

It doesn't take a lot of weight with the Straddle Squat to overload the legs.

I just got the...

2)T-Bell Straddle Squat

Dr Bret Contreras demonstrates the Straddle Squat with his T-Bell. I just got mine and began using it.

The T-Bell allows you, to some degree, adjust your Straddle Squat, Squatting Depth.

Last edited:
Belt Squats

This is definitely one of the best Squat/Leg Exercises there is.

I have used Belt Squats for years as a mean of increasing my Powerlifting Squat.

The Limiting Factor In Squats

One of the limiting factors in developing the legs in a Squat the lower back. The lower back often fatigues long before he legs are complete overload, completely trained.

Belt Squats take the lower back out of the equation.

My reason for doing Belt Squat is...

Weak Legs, Strong Back

In a Squat, my legs give out before my back. When that happens, my leg drive stops, the load is shifted to my back.

That means I end up performing a "Squat-Morning"; my Squat ends up being a Good Morning at some point.

Performing Belt Squat allows me to place more of the workload on my weak point, my legs; which increased my Squat.

The Issue With Powerlifters

One of the main issues with Powerlifters is they use the Competition Lifts as a means of increasing Maximum Strength.

To reiterate what I have stated in previous post, using the Competition Powerlifts does increase Maximum Strength.

However, it come at the expense of promoting and developing poor Technique.

Muscle Fatigue

With each repetition in a movement, Muscle Fatigue begins to occur. That means with each repetition, Technique is slightly altered.

For that reason, Technique needs to be trained while you are fresh.

Developing Strength

Developing Strength for the Powerlifts, any sport, occurs with Auxiliary Exercises that that work the muscle in the sports movement and have a similar movement pattern.

Belt Squat fit that profile for increasing your Back Squat.

Few can.

Definitely

As I stated, I have used Belt Squat for years. They dramatically increase my Powerlifting Squat.

As Heavy As You Want

Taking the lower back out of the equation in a Belt Squat means you are not going to Squat as much as you will in a Traditional Back Squat, especially a Low Bar Powerlifting Squat.

However, the workload is completely place on the legs.

With that said, I have performed Partial Quarter Belt Squats with up to 540 lbs/245 kg.

Belt Squat On Chairs

That is more like a disaster waiting to happen.

Here Is What You Need for Belt Squats

1) Two Sturdy Boxes to stand on; you want something solid.

2) 'Spud Belt Squat Belt

I have the Women's Belt. It has a shorter length, which means the boxes you stand on don't need to be so high.

3) Loading Pin

I have the IronMind 15 inch Loading Pin.

4) Chain

You many need some chain to hook the Belt Squat Belt to the Loading Pin.

If you need chain or not is dependent on how tall the Loading Pin is, how high the Boxes are and the length of the Belt Squat Belt.

5) Carabiners: To hook the Belt Squat Belt up to the Loading Pin.

The strength on the Carabiner is dependent on the load you use. A few cheap Carabiners have bent with some of my heavy loads.

The Pro of The Belt Squat

1) The workload is place on the legs.

2) If you cannot get the weight up, just unhook the Belt Squat Belt. No being pinned to the floor, as you would in a Back Squat.

3) Concentric Assisted Overloading/Forced Reps

Performing the Belt Squat by holding on to the side of a Power Rack or something else, allows you to perform Assisted Concentric Overloads.

If you cannot drive the weight up with your legs, pull on your Power Rack or whatever you are holding on to. Doing so, allows to Concentric Overload the legs a little more.

4) Eccentric Belt Squats

Eccentric Belt Squat with heavier load can be performed by pulling yourself up the Power Rack, whatever you are holding onto and then lowering the weight.

Straddle Squat Option

Another option to Belt Squat is...

1) Hungarian Core Blaster

This is the Home Made Core Blaster. The cost is around $20.00 of pipe. It take less than 5 minutes to put it together.

I've had mine for around 5 years. I used it for Heavy Kettlebell Swing with up to 170 lbs.

I began using it for Straddle Squat about 6 months ago. It really overloads the legs.

It doesn't take a lot of weight with the Straddle Squat to overload the legs.

I just got the...

2)T-Bell Straddle Squat

Dr Bret Contreras demonstrates the Straddle Squat with his T-Bell. I just got mine and began using it.

The T-Bell allows you, to some degree, adjust your Straddle Squat, Squatting Depth.

Did I get it right that you start with dead weight in the bottom? How big a range of motion are you using?

I have a few buck to spare. I heard a lot of good things about the belt squat machine. Well, I cannot afford a machine - butt I can afford the belt.
Had anyone do belt squat that way (hang weight under the belt and squat on chairs)? Is it worth the time and effort? And how heavy you usually go?

PS: I plan to invest equipment for the future - right now I don't plan to use it for the next few weeks
I did them for a while because of Covid and no gym access. Off of concrete blocks, chairs would be too fragile for this. I found that very quickly you are maxed out on the weight that can go on a bar and doing a million reps is counter-productive for lifting goals. I don't get the thrill, they did somewhere between very little and nothing for me. Barbell Hack Squats do more even though they are awkward as hell.

Did I get it right that you start with dead weight in the bottom
I perform them from from aDead Stop.

How big a range of motion are you using?

Post Activation Potentiation Training/PAP

My training revolves around PAP.

PAP involves combining a Heavy Movement, with a rest period, then performing a Power Movement.

Performing a Heavy Movement followed by a Power Movement has been shown to increase Power Output in the Power Movement.

PAP essentially falls into two categories...

1) Contrast Training

This involves using the same exercise for the Heavy and Power Movement. An example is a fairly Heavy Squat and then performing a Power Squat. A rest period occurs between each movement.

2) Complex Training

This involves using an different exercise that have a similar movement.

As an example, a Belt Squat followed by a Low Bar Powerlifting Squat; rest period are taken between each exercise before performing the next one.

My program utilizes Complex (PAP) Training; the Heavy Quarter Squat is implemented to increase Power in my "Power Squat".

PAP Training Loads

1) Heavy Partial Belt Squats

It needs be heavy enough to elicit the PAP response. However, not so heavy that it taxes your system.

2) "Power Squat": In Traditional Strength Movements; Squats, Bench Press, Deadlift, etc. Power is optimally displayed and developed wtih loads of 48 - 62% of 1 Repetition Max. "Power Squats" are referred to as "Speed Training".

"Speed Training" with load of 48 - 62% is a misnomer. Load in this range develop Power, not Speed.

Speed Training Percentages

Speed Training involves load of 10- 40% of 1 Repetition Max; with around 30% being the sweet spot.

I have a bad back so I have wanted to try belt squats for some time. However, it can be kind of awkward in a home gym. You definitely want to stand on something, and a few weight plates won't do it. You want to get at least 18 inches from the floor. Otherwise your range of motion will be too short. I have never used a belt squat machine but it seems like that would be the best option. But as you said they are pricey and take up room. The cheapest I've seen is the Titan Fitness belt squat for $600. There are plenty of videos on how to make a DIY belt squat machine involving pulleys and such. If you're handy and you already have a squat rack these are an option. But what I've learned is that if you want to get a belt squat belt you'll end up needing to buy other stuff whether it is sturdy boxes/platforms to stand on or raw materials to build something.

In my various attempts to make the belt squat work I tried the Ironmind belt and the Spud belt. I liked the Spud belt better because having the weight attached only to the front of the belt just felt better for me.

My compromise solution to get more volume in a squat pattern without killing my back is to do the Bulgarian split squat. I bought one of these gizmos and for me it was worth the cost, but this is not required:

Obviously this is a single-leg exercise, so there's that issue of whether it's better to use more weight in a two-legged squat movement or get the stability component of single-leg work. The Bulgarian split squat does have a stability demand and it may take some getting used to. For me this is a good solution because I like to ski and single leg strength and stability is important. However, in terms of pure strength work it may be a compromise.

One more idea for setup (do not use chairs!):

Dig a hole. I dug a hole in my backyard and put a plastic bucket inside so my weights didn't get too messy. I do live in Australia so the weather is nice and it doesn't rain much. May not be an option for you but just in case!

If you're handy and you already have a squat rack these are an option.
Ski's For Power Rack

I had a friend make me what resembles a pair or skis that are attached to the Safety Pin that go into a Wide Power Rack.

I can slide the Skis out wide or in; allowing me to use a Wide, Narrow or Medium Belt Squat Stance.

I can place the pin at one side of the Power Rack at lower pin setting and the other side of the pin at a higher level. That provides and Uphill or Downhill Squat Movement depend which side you stand on.

Performing Belt Squats on the Uphill Setting shift more of the load to the posterior chain; you sit back more into the movement.

Performing Belt Squat on the Downhill Setting, amount to Squatting with with some elevated heel or placing your heels on a board that is raises you heels about two inches. The place you in a more upright position, more of the workload on the Quads.

But what I've learned is that if you want to get a belt squat belt you'll end up needing to buy other stuff

That True With Most Equipment

If you buy an Olympic Bar and Olympic Weights, you usually need to buy more stuff. Power Rack or Squat Rack, Bench, Olympic Plate Tree Racks, a Mat to protect the floor, etc.

My compromise solution to get more volume in a squat pattern without killing my back is to do the Bulgarian split squat. I bought one of these gizmos and for me it was worth the cost,
Single Leg Squat Roller

As you said, this works and it was worth the cost.

...this is a single-leg exercise, so there's that issue of whether it's better to use more weight in a two-legged squat movement or get the stability component of single-leg work.

Bilateral Belt Squat

There is usually going to be more carry over from a Bilateral Belt Squat to Traditional Bilateral Back Squats.

With that said, I an advocate of...

Unilateral Squats

Personally, I prefer Dumbbell Step Up (holding Dumbbells) rather than a Barbell Step Up (barbell on back).

Step Up with Dumbbells is one of the Auxiliary Squat Exercise that I sometimes use.

Bulgarian Squats are a good exercise, as well.

Stability Muscles

These do involve and place more of the workload on the Stabilizer Muscle that the Prime Muscle Groups.

Less Stability Involvement

To increase the loading on the Prime Muscle Groups and minimize the Stabilizer Muscles, hold on to the side of a Power Rack or something else.

Doing so, allows you to use a greater load and engage the Prime Mover to a greater extent than the Stabilizer Muscles.

Last edited:
A shorter ROM but heavier weight version of a belt squat is the AWA hip lift. All you’re trying to do is get both ends of the bar off the ground.

-S-

Personally, I prefer Dumbbell Step Up (holding Dumbbells) rather than a Barbell Step Up (barbell on back).
I'm torn as to which I like better: step ups or Bulgarian split squats. Currently I give a slight edge to Bulgarian split squats but they seem to work my quads a bit more.

To increase the loading on the Prime Muscle Groups and minimize the Stabilizer Muscles, hold on to the side of a Power Rack or something else.

Doing so, allows you to use a greater load and engage the Prime Mover to a greater extent than the Stabilizer Muscles.

Oh I usually end up grabbing onto something during a set. ? But this is a good suggestion - just grab the rack from the start and focus on working the muscles.

As always, I appreciate your input Kenny.

Many great answers (as always).
I did them for a while because of Covid and no gym access.
I remember reading your log and you did like bunch of belt squat.
I don't get the thrill, they did somewhere between very little and nothing for me.
Tell us more.

To all other members:
So the overall theme is:
- Do not stand on chairs!
- It takes the back out of the equation, which leads to more leg works/more volume could be done
- Can be loaded very heavy.
- Another option is one leg squat (step-up, split squat).

My other question is:
- Seems like it's best for someone back strength is far greater than quad strength. Can you confirm that?
- If so, how can someone know that his/her back is stronger/weaker than quads?
- What is the lightest weight can be use? I ask this one because currently the only weights I have is kettlebell and I'm not sure my lower body is wide enough for fews of them hanging.

A shorter ROM but heavier weight version of a belt squat is the AWA hip lift. All you’re trying to do is get both ends of the bar off the ground.

-S-

Steve, you take shallow squat to another level :p

Kidding aside, how do it transfer to daily activity/normal lift (conv/sumo dead, squat...)?

Can be loaded very heavy.
Provided you have a good set up. Whenever you go heavy the belt will start to sag a bit, thus reducing the ROM. Looking back on my " belt squat experiments" I would've used two 24" boxes to stand on to get decent ROM with a heavy weight.
What is the lightest weight can be use? I ask this one because currently the only weights I have is kettlebell and I'm not sure my lower body is wide enough for fews of them hanging.
If this is the case you may want to ask yourself whether doing kettlebell front squats would be a better option. Do enough reps with a light weight and you'll build some strength but it obviously takes much longer this way.

Do enough reps with a light weight and you'll build some strength but it obviously takes much longer this way
I have done double 36 kg squat in the pass and based on my memory, it's more trunk work (upper back and abs) than leg work.

Seems like it's best for someone back strength is far greater than quad strength. Can you confirm that?
Or someone like me with a bad back. :D Seriously don't get too concerned about who this exercise is good for. It is a good exercise for anybody if you can get a good set up. It's also good for people who have no room for a squat rack or if a squat rack is not in the budget. Even if you had to buy or build boxes to stand on, your total cost will be less than a squat rack and will likely take up less space. It's a very good exercise and using something like a Spud belt where the weight is only front-loaded provides traction on my lower back and my back felt better after doing them, even with light weight. I've toyed with the idea of trying the belt squat again and just using it for very high rep sets, but at this stage I have some better options.

I'd like to see what kind of setups people have for use with a pulley machine. Especially what would help one start from the top and have full Olympic squat range of motion.

My other question is:
- Seems like it's best for someone back strength is far greater than quad strength. Can you confirm that?
- If so, how can someone know that his/her back is stronger/weaker than quads?
Right or Left Handed

How do you know if you are Right or Left Handed?

You have a dominates and gravitate toward using one hand/arm over the other.

To a certain degree, that applies with Back and Leg Strength.

If you have more Leg Strength, you are going to involve them to a greater degree and usually perform more Leg Exercise. Most of us perform exercise and thing we are good at and don't like thing we suck at.

If you have more Back Strength, you are going to engage the Back to a greater degree. Most in this category prefer pulling movements.

The "Morning-Squat" Example

This term refers to when someone's Squat ends up turning it into a Good Morning. This is usually due to the Legs being the weak link in the chain (which is my issue) and the Back being being the stronger link.

Once the Legs give out, the load is shifted to the stronger muscles; the Back in this case.

The irony is the many individual...

Misread the Signs

They view the shifting of the load from the Legs to the Back to mean that the Back is the weak link.

They then compound the problem by performing more Back Exercises to strengthen the Back; which compounds the issue.

What ends up occurring is Back become even stronger. You become even more reliant on shifting the load to the Lower Back even sooner.

Abdominal Factor

Another factor that contributes to the Good Morning Squat is Abdominal Strength.

Part of the job of the Abs is to maintain the body in an upright position.

If you Abs are not as strong as they should be, it is likely the are going to literally fold under the load of a Good Morning Squat.

A Long Bridge Need More Support

Your Core is the Bridge between you Legs and Upper Body.

When Squatting and Deadlifting, you need to maintain a tight stiff Core; "Stay tight" is one of the things lifter say for a reason.

Individuals with long torso usually need more Ab work. That because the bridge between there Legs to their Upper Body is longer.

As with any long bridge, it needs more support so that it doesn't buckle and crash under the load.

Dr Stuart McGill (Core Expert) has stated that "Leakage" occurs with a weak core. That means a loss of force production (strength and power) is lost when the Core is weak.

Personal Leg/Back Issue

I have a strong back and weaker legs. In the past, I did a lot of Good Morning Squats.

In training for a Powerlifting Meet, years ago, I ask one if my lifting buddies if I broke parallel after performing a 1 Repetition Squat in training.

My buddy replied that I had broken parallel twice in 1 Rep. My Leg and Upper Back (from bending so far forward) both broke parallel.

Personal Ab Issue

At a meet, I folded forward and missed my Squat. Another lifting buddy told me that I must have a weak back.

I replied that my back was made of steel. I then suddenly realized that my issue was that my Abs were strong enough.

Sumo or Conventional Deadlift

Your Deadlift Strength is another indicator of where you strength lies.

1) Sumo Deadlift

This is a Leg Dominate Lift.

2) Conventional Deadlift

This is a Back Dominate Lift.

- What is the lightest weight can be use?

Reference To...

Is this in reference to Belt Squats?

Regardless, in an exercise some experimentation in load/weight selection is necessary.

It's better to start too light that too heavy.

Straddle Squats

This is now one of my Training Exercises. I began performing it about 6 months ago.

Performed correctly, the Straddle Squat place the workload on the Legs and minimizes the Lower Back involvement.

The Straddle Lifts is similar to a Sumo Deadlift.

However, in the Straddle Squat, the weight is more directly under you, as in a Belt Squat; placing the workload on the Legs rather the Lower Back.

You are able to overload the Legs with less weight in the Straddle Squat.

The Straddle Squat can be performed with a Kettlebells or Hungarian Core Blaster.

To increase you Straddle Squat range of movement, you need some boxes.

Last edited:
This is interesting - use the belt for an isometric contraction. This guy is a HIT Jedi but isometrics work (Steve Justa likes isometrics) and this is a simple set up that gets good ROM.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom