all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Benefits of Walking for Health

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

John K

Level 8 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hey y'all,

Listened to this podcast this morning while roasting coffee (because yes, yes I am awesome like that). I know we had a thread recently on cardio, whether weight training (e.g. kettlebells) was enough "cardio," and if walking was "cardio" or not (and, nuanced, maybe when it would be versus wouldn't be). I don't want to rehash all that again. This podcast is JUST about some of the benefits of walking!

Here are a couple highlights:

- 10,000 steps a day subtracts 8 years from your age for all cause mortality (ACM), which is similar but opposite to smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, which adds 8 years to your ACM. We're not looking at trying to "add" years, but about incremental improvement - more steps were seen to be more better for "reducing" your ACM.

- Can also increase life expectancy - up to 450 minutes of walking per week "added" 4.5 years to life.

- "Habit stacking" - it is very easy to add a little walking into your life, and even a little can improve your health, and this can start "stacking" benefits with other healthy habits (e.g. lifting, nutrition) without directly impacting training you may be taking "more seriously."

- 10,000 steps can look like, practically, 2x 30 minute walks + moderate active day.

- 10,000 is kind of arbitrary and is more of a goal to shoot for versus "I must hit 10,000." It is about changing lifestyle to be more active.

- In addition to be very accessible, you can do a lot of things while you walk - listen to a podcast, talk with someone, phone calls, or even meditating and practicing mindfulness.

- Inactivity can negatively changes in body composition even if you are already lifting and minding diet. 6,500 steps per day seems to be the threshold for this. It is easier to manage bodyweight when walking a lot!

- Prioritizing walking helps you align your day in accordance with your goals.

- Practical Tips: DO something while walking, find "easy" ways to add walking, have layers to allow you out in any weather (including shoes), splitting it up so you don't have to do more than 20-30 minutes, take some time to build up multiple routes for variety

- Practical Tips: DO something while walking, find "easy" ways to add walking, have layers to allow you out in any weather (including shoes), splitting it up so you don't have to do more than 20-30 minutes, take some time to build up multiple routes for variety
Phone calls, audiobooks and Podcasts for me.
Although less phone calls nowadays because my new walking route goes out of service for a bit.
Recently been quite enjoying the "Dungeons and Daddies (not a BDSM podcast)" podcast a lot. If you ever play D&D it is pretty hilarious. Highly recommended.

I suffered a serious back injury over 20yrs ago & as part of my ongoing maintenance barefoot walking was suggested.
Must say that when life gets in the way & I miss anything over 3/4 days of walking I can definitely feel the difference. Also noticed a big difference in benefits from barefoot walking & wearing shoes.

Walking while carrying a child is even better. You can begin by placing the child in a rucksack, then graduate to a hip/arm carry, but I prefer waiter walks, of course starting on the floor with a perfect get up.
Lol my dad had a back pain in the past after carry me while having a walk in a park

I aim for 2-2.5 miles per day of scheduled walking. With all of the other walking through the course of a day, my daily average is 3.7 miles.

I make it a point to use the stairs at work (4th floor). I can feel the improvement over time (in my lungs and legs).

Overall, It’s good for the brain and seems to reduce my gut size.

Thats a great option as well that I like to use on night walks.

The only unacceptable thing is using a Bluetooth speaker.
Gotta go classic
NDUzLmpwZw

I can't find the source anymore, but I remember watching a YouTube video that discussed how some of the benefits of walking are greatly diminished when you use a treadmill.

(that isn't to say that treadmill is worse than not walking)

Especially when compared to surfaces that are slightly uneven and variable.

Treadmill walking apparently involves far less use of various stabilizing muscles all through your body and, on top of that, is apparently less stimulative of the CNS.

I can't find the source anymore, but I remember watching a YouTube video that discussed how some of the benefits of walking are greatly diminished when you use a treadmill.

(that isn't to say that treadmill is worse than not walking)

Especially when compared to surfaces that are slightly uneven and variable.

Treadmill walking apparently involves far less use of various stabilizing muscles all through your body and, on top of that, is apparently less stimulative of the CNS.
The “feeling” of a treadmill is different for me than walking. And I have a sand track near my house, I feel that walking on sand is really very good for everything stabilizer in my body.

Yesterday I was told by a friend that, her wife had two back surgery due to a herniation, she was about to have her third surgery, but they started to walk just for the feeling of well being, nothing fancy like 30 minutes around the block walking. And in 1.5 months her back was pain free and she did not have surgery but she keeps walking a few times a week to keep healthy.

Ps: My friend does not exercise or he does not have any interest in fitness related stuff, he has no point of view on these matters or nothing to prove. It was a anecdote for him so there is no exaggeration in this story. Of course it might be useful for very small number of audience, I don’t know.

Back
Top Bottom