all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Benefits of Walking for Health

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I should probably make sure my walking falls into Liss. Last time I checked was 6 months ago.
Wellness work should probably be it’s own category of fitness. I like it!

bike riding you are sitting on your butt.
You should most definitely listen to your cardiologists regarding training and your heart…

I ride with a couple of guys that have had heart attacks and one has a pacemaker. They do have to take precautions for sure. (I also ride with a heart surgeon.)

But I wouldn’t be going around telling Tadej Pogačar, or any other TDF rider that they are sitting on their butt… just sayin’ :cool:

You should most definitely listen to your cardiologists regarding training and your heart…

I ride with a couple of guys that have had heart attacks and one has a pacemaker. They do have to take precautions for sure. (I also ride with a heart surgeon.)

But I wouldn’t be going around telling Tadej Pogačar, or any other TDF rider that they are sitting on their butt… just sayin’ :cool:

It's pretty amazing how high I can get my heart rate during rowing while sitting on my butt.

Yesterday I was told by a friend that, her wife had two back surgery due to a herniation, she was about to have her third surgery, but they started to walk just for the feeling of well being, nothing fancy like 30 minutes around the block walking. And in 1.5 months her back was pain free and she did not have surgery but she keeps walking a few times a week to keep healthy.

Ps: My friend does not exercise or he does not have any interest in fitness related stuff, he has no point of view on these matters or nothing to prove. It was an anecdote for him so there is no exaggeration in this story. Of course it might be useful for very small number of audience, I don’t know.
There are studies backing up your anecdote.

Walking has been studied extensively as a key player in mitigating or eliminating back pain. It’s not a magic pill, but it can help a lot.

Walking while carrying a child is even better. You can begin by placing the child in a rucksack, then graduate to a hip/arm carry, but I prefer waiter walks, of course starting on the floor with a perfect get up.
I plan on doing this soon, i have two older kids that I never did this with because I wasn’t in to this type of fitness back then. I was into gym bro science. I got a third surprise baby coming and I’m planning on taking him with me on my days off to go hike.

I get a lot of steps in at work through the week. The bad thing is that it basically all concrete and it takes a toll on my feet and ankles. This past Thursday I had 14,171 steps from the time I left home until I walked through the door.
Jeff, have you explored work shoe options? I've gone with zero-drop shoes for the last few years and I believe - no evidence - that it's changed my gait for the better. I think I land with my feet more underneath me. I own three different pairs: one are really minimalist and I use them pretty much only as my DL shoes in competition now; the second are a little more padded and they're my usual shoes; the third pair are the most padded but still pretty minimalist. That third pair are the Prio from xeroshoes.com - they also seem to last forever.

Goal from the Stu mcgill reference was for back health and staying overall functional as we age-
I remember reading that he said walking is the right kind of challenge for one's lower back, IOW, it will loosen up your back in a good way without the risks that can be associated with trying to stretch it. It feels that way for me, for sure. I know that often the first few minutes of a walk feel pretty crappy, but as long as I focus on trying to relax and enjoy my walk and "right" my posture, it always feels better after a bit.

-S-

Jeff, have you explored work shoe options? I've gone with zero-drop shoes for the last few years and I believe - no evidence - that it's changed my gait for the better. I think I land with my feet more underneath me. I own three different pairs: one are really minimalist and I use them pretty much only as my DL shoes in competition now; the second are a little more padded and they're my usual shoes; the third pair are the most padded but still pretty minimalist. That third pair are the Prio from xeroshoes.com - they also seem to last forever.

I remember reading that he said walking is the right kind of challenge for one's lower back, IOW, it will loosen up your back in a good way without the risks that can be associated with trying to stretch it. It feels that way for me, for sure. I know that often the first few minutes of a walk feel pretty crappy, but as long as I focus on trying to relax and enjoy my walk and "right" my posture, it always feels better after a bit.

-S-
Steve- I work in a prison so I have to have a certain type of shoe. I have special orthopedic inserts for my shoes. I got my new ones around 2 weeks ago and they have helped so much in relieving my foot pain. The best boot that I have found for my feet is made by Keen. The one I wear is called the Targhee II. I love them. Yeah they look like I should be carrying a bag of trail mix with me everywhere I go, but man they are so comfortable for me and give my feet and ankles as good of support that I've been able to find.
Men's Targhee II Waterproof Mid

It does add up quickly- grand scheme of things for very basic movement as medicine so to speak nearly all professionals suggest 10 minute outside walk 3 times a day. That’s 30 minutes daily for very low level function and movement.
So mcgill saying 90 a day seems quite reasonable for a higher level of back health and movement throughout the day.

It does add up quickly- grand scheme of things for very basic movement as medicine so to speak nearly all professionals suggest 10 minute outside walk 3 times a day. That’s 30 minutes daily for very low level function and movement.
So mcgill saying 90 a day seems quite reasonable for a higher level of back health and movement throughout the day.

It's reasonable, but it has an opportunity cost vs other training at that point.

90 min of walking is 90 min of a low level stimulus.

For that same time, I can get in 60 min of resistance training and 30 min of cardio.

Steve- I work in a prison so I have to have a certain type of shoe. I have special orthopedic inserts for my shoes. I got my new ones around 2 weeks ago and they have helped so much in relieving my foot pain. The best boot that I have found for my feet is made by Keen. The one I wear is called the Targhee II. I love them. Yeah they look like I should be carrying a bag of trail mix with me everywhere I go, but man they are so comfortable for me and give my feet and ankles as good of support that I've been able to find.
Men's Targhee II Waterproof Mid
I don’t know what the job requirements are for you, of course, but I do know that the “healthy“ shoe movement, with zero drop, and a wider toebox, has over the last few years had more and more offerings in things like all black work shoes.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom