all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Benefits of Walking for Health

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
A "heart rate while walking" data point.

Yesterday I walked to the local grocery store: flat, 0.8 miles according to the computer. I checked my pulse when I got there - said 115. My walk was relaxed but not particularly slow, just focused on relaxing and enjoying it.

For my 179 max HR, my Polar app says Zone 2 for me is between 107 and 127, so I hit about the middle of that.

If we were to use my age-predicted max HR, it's conceivable I'd be at the top. MAF numbers for me would be: 180 - 67 = 113. 113 + 5 for my exercise history is 118 - that's his prediction for the top of Zone 2, so I was close to the top of Zone 2 figured that way.

-S-

This tells me that "walking as Zone 2" is heavily age dependent.

My average walk HR bpm over my usual route (moderate hill up and down in a circular route) is 113.

But at age 53, that's not Zone 2 for me using any calculation I've used.

Peter Attia seems to prefer cycling, walking or run/walk for zone 2 training for most people "unless you're a competitive runner of a significantly high level already". He talks about how heart rate can be misleading and he's seen a lot of people who say they can run in zone 2 but when you start taking measurements they're really in zone 3 or higher. He talks about this at about the 49 minute mark.

Peter Attia seems to prefer cycling, walking or run/walk for zone 2 training for most people "unless you're a competitive runner of a significantly high level already". He talks about how heart rate can be misleading and he's seen a lot of people who say they can run in zone 2 but when you start taking measurements they're really in zone 3 or higher. He talks about this at about the 49 minute mark.

I guess i don’t see how it can be misleading if your HR has been correlated to metabolic markers such as AeT via a blood lactate test (or similar) for the given activity.

But I do agree about people that are somewhat guessing at their HR…

I guess i don’t see how it can be misleading if your HR has been correlated to metabolic markers such as AeT via a blood lactate test (or similar) for the given activity.

But I do agree about people that are somewhat guessing at their HR…
If I remember right, the actual target heart rate could vary by as much as 20bpm from the calculated target heart rate. And the target heart rate also varies with the activity.

If I remember right, the actual target heart rate could vary by as much as 20bpm from the calculated target heart rate. And the target heart rate also varies with the activity.
yes correct, hence why I wrote what I did. If target HR is calculated you will see this. If you base your target HR on a blood lactate test then it is measured and not calculated, and will not be misleading at all, and as I said it needs to be measured by activity. (if one really wants accuracy)

I remember a video released here in Scotland back in the 90s. I've tried to find it but well, it was before the Internet, couldn't.
It was a health promotional ad with Gavin Hastings, Scotland Rugby Union captain, on the health benefits of walking. In searching, I found this, quoting:

(30 years on, still the unhealthiest nation in Europe but anyway....)

Health Education Board for Scotland (HEBS): Gavin Hastings really does walk on water
Increasing adult involvement in exercise was a key priority for the HEBS in 1995. Featuring Gavin Hastings a Scottish sportsman, the campaign changed the perception of walking as exercise, (56% felt it was valuable against 20% feeling that way before the campaign) and changed behaviour, (50% respondents 10 weeks after said they were now more physically active). Consumers were also aware of the advertising and the proposition. Financial return on investment appeared to be in the region of over 500%

I feel your pain. :) I have size 7.5, wide feet, which my wife describes as "shovels, as wide as they are long." :)

This is the shoe I was talking about:

-S-
those are a good looking shoe. I may have to give them a try. I wouldn't be able to wear them to work but outside of that they look like they would work. I wonder how they would work with orthotics...

those are a good looking shoe. I may have to give them a try. I wouldn't be able to wear them to work but outside of that they look like they would work. I wonder how they would work with orthotics...

For work approved boots, you may want to try these as well. They are on sale, come with a lifetime warranty, and I have been wearing them daily for a month now and have had no problems so far.

I like disc golf for the walking and outdoor component. Nine holes is decent. Eighteen holes is pretty good.

I like simple and sinister, "Best all-around training method ever" as well as easy strength for their high yield, minimum effective dose, enabling the time to do things like walk for 90 minutes a day and/or practice a martial art.

High time commitment programs are a no for me. Too much time in the gym.

My work is my service, and much of that is indoors, seated, in front of a screen. I choose hobbies that have me upright, moving, inverting and connecting with nature or other people.

for me, I'm covering 1.25 miles in 18 minutes.
That puts me at about 14:24 pace and a relatively steady 130 HR.
very comfortable tempo for Stars and Stripes.

Back
Top Bottom