all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Benefits of Walking for Health

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
for me, I'm covering 1.25 miles in 18 minutes.
That puts me at about 14:24 pace and a relatively steady 130 HR.
very comfortable tempo for Stars and Stripes.
Is that a walking pace? That is much faster than I can walk.

Is that a walking pace? That is much faster than I can walk.
Yes. I have had to walk as an aerobic alternate for my PT test for years(ankle injury precludes running).
the max score was 2.5 miles in 30min. My personal best was 30:30 or so.
never broke max - cuz... you get 60/100 for the event no matter what. (translates to promotion points for boards(which is fair))

Benefits of walking that I have noticed include just feeling better. One of those things that’s harder to describe- and harder yet to measure. You can measure many other things- speed, strength etc.
I feel better after a 30 minute or 60 minute walk compared to any other activity.
Other activities most of the time zap my energy.
I did read that walking is the most functional movement one can do. Training movement patters and not muscles I believe waking should be number 1 on the list.

A few months ago, I experimented with replacing my morning calisthenics (Great Gama Protocol) with walking. I enjoyed the pleasant feeling I got from walking a half hour around the neighborhood. And it did help my back, to an extent.

But walking wasn't sufficient to keep my back and knees feeling their best, so I went back to my AM calisthenics. Just gotta get up a little earlier to get that little walk in before work, I suppose.

If you have the option, terrain walking (in contrast to pavement) is phenomenal for the joints: Since you are often on non-flat surfaces, so you get more robust muscle/tendon etc. strength.

Back
Top Bottom