all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bent press as mobility drill

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oscar

Level 7 Valued Member
Hi all,

I've been having some shoulder issues, and my physical therapist found that I have limited shoulder rotation (dont know how the describe it so I posted a photo below). I basically can't open my forearm to the side if my elbow is next to the ribs.

I have noted that this is an intermediate stage of the bent press, so I figured that if I gain mobility and learn to bent press, my shoulder will be happier.

Does anybody know any drill to this particular shoulder limitation? Today I tried bent arm bars and was able to do them with a 6kg KB. The 16 was a no-go. I also did a few reps of the kneeling bent press with the 6 kg.

Also, any source to learn how to bent press?

Thanks all!

bentpress.jpg 20191214_182622.jpg

Last edited:

Oscar

Level 7 Valued Member
Thanks all for your comments!

I havent completed "Taming the Bent Press" nor Asorge´s book, so I dont know if they address my particular shoulder limitation.

In any case, I started practicing with a 6 kg and a 16 kg kettlebells and my shoulder is moving better already. I manage to complete the lift with my right hand (the healthy one), but I´m not able to complete with my left. I can bend only so much and dont reach the point of fully extending my elbow.

@Steve Freides thanks, I have been using the windmill as a warm up before I practice the bent press. However, for some reason, my shoulder moves well when my elbow is extended. The limitation appears when my elbow is bent and next to the ribs.

@Pavel Macek thanks, that looks like a great resource. I couldnt find anything in particular regarding mobility in there though. Any particular recommendation? I´d love to go to a course as suggested by @Tobias Wissmueller, but living in Argentina its too far away.

Brett Jones

StrongFirst Director of Education
Master Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Beast Tamer
Oscar
Since you are being treated by a Physical Therapist please run anything "new" by them.

Pavel Macek

Level 9 Valued Member
Master Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
Thanks all for your comments!

I havent completed "Taming the Bent Press" nor Asorge´s book, so I dont know if they address my particular shoulder limitation.

In any case, I started practicing with a 6 kg and a 16 kg kettlebells and my shoulder is moving better already. I manage to complete the lift with my right hand (the healthy one), but I´m not able to complete with my left. I can bend only so much and dont reach the point of fully extending my elbow.

@Steve Freides thanks, I have been using the windmill as a warm up before I practice the bent press. However, for some reason, my shoulder moves well when my elbow is extended. The limitation appears when my elbow is bent and next to the ribs.

@Pavel Macek thanks, that looks like a great resource. I couldnt find anything in particular regarding mobility in there though. Any particular recommendation? I´d love to go to a course as suggested by @Tobias Wissmueller, but living in Argentina its too far away.

Suggested road to bent press:

- physio
- FMS
- armbar, bent armbar, Brettzel, Brettzel armbar
- get-up with presses in each of the phases
- kneeling get-up to bent press drills
- bent press (bent press rack, bottom position, bent press)

I have a bigger work in progress, please stay tuned.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Top Bottom