all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Best abs/core exercises?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
A lot of good suggestions above. I will mention a few of my favourites and why.
1, ab Wheel - a complete ab builder and great for structural integrity.

Ab rollouts are the only non-rotational linear ab exercise that can leave me with ab DOMS for 2 days and a fear that 'OMG...did I pull my rectus?'

Oblique, work, on the other hand can do this to me rather quickly, especially unilateral carries and odd object work, like macebells.

A friend and fellow lifter who is bad at / doesn't like isometrics liked the lift gains I was seeing from the core routine I use, but wanted something with fewer static holds and more minimalist.

This is what we came up with, and has been used for the last 4 months, with good results:

Circuit: 3x

ab rollout progression / leg raise progression (alternating days): 8-12 reps

Palloff press progression*: 8-12 reps

Bird dog progression: 8-12 reps

Side plank progression: 30-60 second hold

(*Olympic weightlifters can do this with a split stance to mimic the split jerk)

Note:

By design, every move on here, except the rollout and leg raises, has a unilateral element to the base movement.

But when you get more advanced in the progression, you can and should add twists to both the rollout and the leg raises.

Last edited:
Hello,

I do not know how @Pavel Macek trains his core alongside his S&S practice, but he is very ripped (you can check out his Instagram), strong and functional

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
Nice philosophy ! You are not a tofu eater then !

I am jealous. You do not even hit an additional core routine and look as a model

Kind regards,

Pet'

I know a great tofu recipe, but let's save it for some other time ;-)

As a pilates teaching meat head I have one true love exercise that always gets my entire trunk working (outside of ab roll outs, plank variations) - teaser. Typically I do teaser on a reformer but the mat based one is good too

Last edited:
As a pilates teaching meat head I have one true love exercise that always gets my entire trunk working (outside of ab roll outs, plank variations) - teaser. Typically I do teaser on a reformer but the mat based one is good too

"There is no modification to this...you can either do it, or you can't."

I can't.

I can do a half-a#@ yoga boat pose with less-than-straight legs, with external shoulder rotation.

navasana_3_yoga_variations_for_practicing_boat_pose.png

If you can, I'm impressed! ??

Admittedly, the more gymnastics-oriented end of the bodyweight spectrum are things I have never practiced (or at least not since I child when I was horsing around on monkeybars).

V-ups, L-sits, manna....all outside my repertoire.

Hollow and arch body holds, ring rows and ring push ups are about as gymnastic-like as I get.

Nothing against them, but I've only got so many hours a week to train, and anything that is high-skill will subtract from my sports-specific skill practice to some degree. At some point, I have to choose if I want to keep getting better at clean & jerk for competition, or start learning the planche push-up from the newbie level....

Which brings up an interesting point:

Bodyweight training for GPP vs bodyweight training as prep for gymnastic moves.

One of the things I'm less than personally enamored with about some of the most popular bodyweight routines (Reddit bodyweight, Gymnastic bodies, etc) is that everything is prep for going gymnastic moves.

Which is great if you want bodyweight to be your main or only modality.

But it's harder to integrate them with other modalities, as the the emphasis on static holds doesn't transfer as well to dynamic sports, the equipment goes in a different direction that makes it harder to do at home (e.g. parallel bars), and (like Olympic lifting) the skill component is no joke amount of practice at higher levels.

Last edited:
Hello,

@North Coast Miller
In general, do you go for high repetition crunches (as Pacquiao or "traditional" boxers) or do you load them ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I tend to not load them much anymore, but when younger, yes. Anything to keep the working period down to a minute or two.

I don't know how Pacquiao does the crunch routine he manages. Probably being lean and light weight has to help!

For me, if my rep count is under 20-25 I won't load them up.

When doing a lot of resistance training with load outside my center of gravity I don't do anything else for core/abs.

Hello,

Below is what Dave Durante (former US Olympian gymnast) does. I guess, there are other things, but sounds quite well rounded as far as stability and safety goes.

Sure most of the other gymnastic moves he perform tax the core as well.

I thought crunches were banished as "bad" by McGill and Cook...
McGill's curl ups are a little bit different. Below is a video regarding them (among the 2 others to get the "McGill's Big 3)

Kind regards,

Pet'

but sounds quite well rounded as far as stability and safety goes.

The above Durante routine is a perfect example of what I was referring to in the previous post #33: great if you want to be a gymnast or bodyweight training is your main modality.

But I wouldn't say it is well-designed for either dynamic sports athletes or strength athletes.

So I wouldn't call it well-rounded at all.

Some notable things are missing:

--No anti-rotation training:

Pretty important for sports that involve cutting (soccer, rugby, football, basketball, hockey) and important for martial arts.

--No anti-lateral flexion training

Any sport that involves putting something overhead, swinging an implement, overhead throwing or blocking, or carrying heavy objects benefits from anti-lateral flexion strengthening.

--Lack of contra-lateral core work

Having the ability to have contra-lateral distal members in positions of extension, while the core resists cross-body flexion, is a feature of both dynamic ball sports (e.g. plant with left leg to push off for right-handed basketball shot), martial arts (throwing a punch, thrusting a foil), and strength and strongman sports (e.g. weightlifting split jerk).

Dancers, also, need all of the above.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom