all posts post new thread

Best of Both Worlds

WhatWouldHulkDo

Level 8 Valued Member
Hey there, StrongFirst. Friendly neighborhood Hulk here.

By way of re-introduction: 47 yo male from the US, ex college discuss thrower, proud dad to a couple of teenagers... who I may yet decide to eat if things go sideways, who knows.

Took some time off from logging/reading here since life got a little hectic. But I ain't been slack, I've still been training regularly. I got into a rhythm for a while where I was doing pretty much every strength move I could think of roughly once a week - barbells, kettlebells, bodyweight, you name it. It was great - a lot of fun, and I felt very strong and "put together", so to speak.

But, cramming so many different movements into limited time (and recovery), something had to fall by the wayside... and it was running. In the pre-COVID days, I would run 4 10k races + an OCR or two every year, now I'm really not in shape for any of that. I got bigger and stronger - but really, I don't want to be bigger anymore. Time for this extra 20# I'm lugging around to go.

So, over the last couple months, I've been refocusing. Figure it's time to start logging again, since some of the other demands on my time eased up - and I find myself forgetting what I did last session from time to time. Priorities right now:

#1: Get back into 60-minute 10k shape.
I just finished up a couch-to-10k program based on time, which I got here: Couch To 10K | No Problem!
My mileage for that last week was just under 11 (I'm really slow), goal now is to slowly work my weekly mileage up to 15.

#2: TSC strength
I don't know if I'll ever get to do a TSC again, since there don't seem to be any host gyms nearby, but it's still a fun set of movements. At this point, just trying to maintain some deadlift strength - I swear it felt like 50 lbs just disappeared from my deadlift as soon as I started running again. Mixing weighted pull-ups with ROP-style ladders. And getting in some swings/snatches where there's room.

#3: Overhead press
For whatever reason, this has always been a weakness for me, and I've been in the mood to address it. Plus, it feels like the lift that seems to interfere the least with running recovery. Mixing barbell press with ROP-style ladders.

Let's get to work.

1696886516469.jpeg

10/9

AM
31min treadmill run/walk 2.2m
- 15 minutes jog
- Strides 8.5x6
Mobility & balance practice

PM
WGS sequence
DL 300#x3, 340#x3, 385#x5
OP 110#x3, 130#x3, 145#x6
Pullups 20# x3,3,3,2,1
KB snatch 24 6x10
Crawling

That's actually the first time in a long while that I've lifted and run on the same day. Even with that short run, felt it in the calves and groin during DL.

10/12

AM
37min treadmill run/walk 2.7m
- 20min jog
- Strides 8.5x6
Pushups W3D1 x13,9,9
HLR 3x5

PM
WGS sequence
KB press 28 + pullups L4x2, L3x3
KB1HS 10x10 32,40,32,40,32
TGU 10x1 24

That's about the limit of what I can tolerate right now in terms of press/pullup volume - the last few pullups weren't as crisp as I'd like.

I've had to keep the TGU weight pretty light for the last month or so due to rehabbing a rotator cuff strain. It doesn't bother me in most movements, but the TGU - the great weakness exposer - bothers it at little. Has been improving, but slowly.

10/13

AM
Easy walk

I've programmed Friday as a flex day... this particular day was spent at happy hour with the neighbors, rather than training.

10/14

AM
Agile 8
71min treadmill run/walk 5.5m
- 60min jog
Pushups W3D2 x16,9,7
HLR 3x5

Long runs are sometimes a bit of a psychological battle. This was a recap of my mental state today:
  • Mile 1: All right, this feels pretty good
  • Mile 2: OMG this hurts, no way I'm going to make it 3 more
  • Mile 3: OK, that hurt, but it wasn't so bad
  • Mile 4: All right, this feels pretty good
  • Mile 5: OMG this hurts, please just be done already
... so, maybe if I had kept going to mile 7, I would have come back around to feeling good again! Though, I suspect my knees would have blown out before I got there.

10/16

AM
37min treadmill run/walk 2.7m
- 20min jog
- Strides 8.5x6

PM
WGS sequence
DL 320#x5, 360#x3, 405#x4
OP 120#x5, 135#x3, 150#x4
Pullups 20# x3(miss 1),3,2(miss 1),2,1
KB snatch 24 6x10

Not sure if the pullup misses were because I'm really at my limit, or fatigue from the other heavy stuff. Figure I might try a variation of the Steve House plan after deload next week.

10/17

AM
Easy walk

PM
Agile 8
50min treadmill run/walk 3.6m
- 40min jog
Pushups W3D3 x13,11,7
HLR 3x5

No strides tonight - I'm developing some knee pain that kicks in after my longer runs, and it makes it so I can't stride right. Doesn't bother me any other time, just when I'm fatigued. A lot of the running websites / blogs talk about ankle and hip strengthening to address knee pain, I've been doing a lot of that in my mobility & balance practice. Of course, the best medicine is always rest...

10/18

After the knee pain yesterday, I elected to take the morning off and sleep in.

PM
Sand volleyball
Good night, we went 2-1. I felt pretty "springy" - not so much that I was getting way out of the sand, but felt like I was moving around well, covering a lot of court.

rest maybe… inactivity no…
True enough... but I don't think you'll find many folks around this forum who suffer from not doing enough... most of us have the opposite problem.

10/19

AM
37min treadmill run/walk
- 20min jog
- Strides 8.5x6
Pushups W4D1 x18,9,4
HLR 3x5

PM
WGS sequence
KB press 28 + pullups L4, L3x4
KB1HS 10x10 32,40,32,40,32
TGU 10x1 24

Presses were a little creaky - definitely some fatigue from the near-max effort on Monday. Still tuning how to balance the barbell & KB work.

10/24

AM
Easy walk

PM
Agile 8
56min treadmill run/walk 4.2m
- 45min jog
Pushups W4D3 x18,13
HLR 3x5

I had a running analysis done by a PT this afternoon, mostly to see if there's anything I ought to be doing about my fatigue-induced knee pain. Her primary recommendation was to increase my cadence so that I heel strike less (got some good pictures of what my current stride looks like - and yes, I definitely heel strike). So, I tried to do so tonight - and it caused my HR to shoot up pretty badly. I recall that happening the last time I tried an increase-cadence experiment, so I gave it up... guess I'll try to stick with it for a while (I have kind of given up on MAF as I'm trying to get back into running shape).

Back
Top Bottom