Easy walk
Mobility & balance practice

PM
Agile 8
56min treadmill run/walk 4.2m
- 45min jog
Pushups W4D3 x18,13
HLR 3x5

I had a running analysis done by a PT this afternoon, mostly to see if there's anything I ought to be doing about my fatigue-induced knee pain. Her primary recommendation was to increase my cadence so that I heel strike less (got some good pictures of what my current stride looks like - and yes, I definitely heel strike). So, I tried to do so tonight - and it caused my HR to shoot up pretty badly. I recall that happening the last time I tried an increase-cadence experiment, so I gave it up... guess I'll try to stick with it for a while (I have kind of given up on MAF as I'm trying to get back into running shape).
Going from being a heel striker to someone who runs on their forefoot is a long process. I also lost a pot of speed when i did. Now it is pretty natural for me but i still dont have the same speed. Could also be from me breaking my foot which made me re-learn to run.

Long weekend in Las Vegas for a kid's softball tournament. Ate too much, drank too much, watched a few good softball games.

10/26

AM
37min treadmill run/walk 2.7m
Pushups W5D1 x20,7,4
HLR 3x5

PM
WGS sequence
KB press 28 + pullups L3x5
KB1HS 10x10 32,40,32,40,32
TGU 10x1 24

Normally I have +8 hours between the morning run and evening lifting - today I only had about 4, and I definitely felt the difference in recovery.

10/27

AM
EYFS+

The little hotel gym had no yoga mats or the like, so I had to get a little creative on the tac frog to save my knees - did most of the movement with one knee up on a bench.

10/28

AM
68min treadmill run/walk 5.25m
- 60min jog
Pushups W5D2 x20,11

10/31

AM
Easy walk

PM
Agile 8
59min treadmill run/walk 4.6m
- 45min jog
- Strides 8.5x6
Pushups W5D3 x20,11
HLR 3x5

Well... after spending just a week working on increasing cadence, was able to do this run knee-pain-free. Who knows if it's a direct result... but, don't mess with a win streak.

11/2

AM
- 20min jog
- Strides 8.5x6
Pushups x22
HLR 3x5

Today was a pseudo-test day for pushups (22 was the target peak for this cycle). Man, I really hate high-rep pushups... the burn in the triceps, the feeling like my core muscles are going to fail and my spine is going to collapse... just unpleasant. That's why I somewhat masochistically figure I need to do it more.

PM
WGS sequence
KB press 28 + pullups L4x2, L3x3
TGU 10x1 24,28,24x3

I was peeking at these training logs from time to time during my absence. I saw that you resurrected your training log and it encouraged me to resurrect mine.

Keep up the good work!

11/3

AM
Easy walk

PM
EYFS+
Wheel rebuild

The story of wheel rebuild: 15+ years ago I tore my Achilles tendon. After the repair, the calf muscle never quite came back - even today my two calves are visibly different size (my wife likes to say that I have one calf, and one cow). After the initial rehab ended, I tried for a while to restore the weakened calf, but it never seemed to be effective. Since the weakened calf didn't seem to prevent me from doing anything I wanted to do, I sort of just gave up on focusing on it.

After my PT recently analyzed my running gait, she's convinced that restoring some strength in the bad wheel would take a lot of running stress off my knees and hips. Hence, what I'm calling the "wheel rebuild" sequence:
  • Single leg heel lift (opposite foot on top of a box) 2x15
  • 2-foot heel lift with single-leg eccentric
    • Knees straight (focus on gastroc) 2x10
    • Knees bent (focus on soleus) 2x10
  • Band walks
  • Tempo hops 3x 30s (155 BPM)
  • Single-leg decline partial-ROM squat 45# 3x10 (only as deep as I can go, which isn't very deep - this is to focus on muscles supporting the patellar tendon)
  • SLDL 3x10 (added by me, at the advice of brother @offwidth )
The problem is, despite not involving a lot of weight, this takes a surprising amount of juice out of my legs. For the last few months I had been avoiding any sort of targeted leg work to leave gas in the tank for running. My target jog for Saturday was supposed to be 65 minutes, but sure enough my legs felt so fatigued after doing the wheel rebuild on Friday, I had to cut it short.

11/4

AM
60min treadmill run/walk 4.5m
- 48min jog
Pushups W1D1 x10,10,7,7
HLR 3x5

Maybe this is a case where I take 1 step backward to take 2 steps forward later... figure I'll give it a couple months and see what happens.

11/6

AM
37min treadmill run 2.7m
- 20min jog
- Strides 8.5x6

PM
WGS sequence
DL 300#x3, 340#x3, 385#x6
OP 110#x3, 130#x3, 145#x6
Pullups W2D1 30# 1x2
Chinups x1,2,3,3,2,1
Wheel rebuild

Last rep on presses wasn't clean - I got tired, and there was some leg push. Red light.

11/7

AM
Easy Peloton ride

I kind of hopped on the bike on a whim, I haven't ridden a bike for any significant amount of time in longer than a year... meaning I don't have any bike seat butt tolerance right now... ouch.

PM
Agile 8
56min treadmill run/walk 4.3m
- 45min jog
- No strides due to knee pain
Pushups x10,10,10,5
HLR 3x5

11/9

AM
- 20min jog
- Strides 8.5x6
Pushups W1D3 x10,10,10,5
HLR 3x5

PM
WGS sequence
KB press 28 + pullups L4x3,L3,L2
TGU 10x1 24,28,24x3

The 30th pullup (last rung off the 3rd L4) was a miss - just too fatigued. Shoulder didn't feel great after presses too. Thinking about maybe spending focusing on rehabing the rotator cuff for a while - it's getting better, just very slowly.

11/10

AM
Easy walk

PM
EYFS+

No wheel rebuilding on Friday, because:

11/11

AM
10k turkey trot 71:05
- Ave HR 155, max 185

First 10k race since returning to the road (so to speak). Not a bad day - maintained better than my current training pace, and no knee pain. Plenty of chest/lung pain to make up for it, though - at the start of the race it was around 28 F, actually kind of painful to breath through the nose. Long way to go to get back under 1 hour... but, step 1 is actually running another 10k.

At the risk of oversimplifying, there always seem to be 3 kinds of people at these races:
  1. Actual runners who are under a 10min/mile pace. They take off at the start and I never see them again.
  2. Actual runners who are slower than 10min/mile. Me.
  3. Folks who start off way faster than they can maintain and then end up walking a bunch.
This was a pretty small race, about 300 people. At the start, groups 1 and 3 took off... for a while I literally felt like I was in dead last place. At mile 1 the group 3 folks started to drop into walking, and I gradually chased a bunch of them down - if you can call my plodding pace "chasing," of course. Fun stuff.

11/13

PM
Hard court volleyball

Here's a little tip I'm going to throw out into the universe: if you are a man playing co-ed volleyball, blocking a girl a foot shorter than you is what we in the sport consider a "dick move". Had a guy on the other team block my 5-foot-tall teammate twice. I got kind of mad, though I didn't say anything... but every chance I got, I was trying to hit it at him as hard as I could. I nailed him once. My wife approved.

11/13

AM
- 20min jog
- Strides 8.5x6

PM
WGS sequence
DL 320#x5, 360#x3, 405#x4
OP 120#x5, 135#x3, 150#x4
Pullups 16 3x1
Chinups x1,2,3,3,2,1
KB snatch 24 8x10

Good session - mostly in terms of just being able to get it done despite still being in recovery from the race. Was some definitely groaning from the hips, but the weight moved anyway.

EDIT: I had goofed up the snatch sets/reps

Last edited:
11/14

AM
Easy walk

PM
Agile 8
60min treadmill run/walk 4.1m
- 45min jog, recovery pace
Pushups W2D1 x12,12,5,5
HLR 3x5

Almost all of the jog was below MAF HR - something I was never really able to achieve back when trying to do all my running at MAF (I'd usually have to drop to a walk at some point to keep HR down). Which I think just goes to show that one size never does fit all. I'm not at the point where doing nothing but MAF suits my needs/goals.

Back
Top Bottom