all posts post new thread

Best of Both Worlds

Moving this over to the active training log

I have, though not recently, but I agree it's good stuff. I don't really have any power work in my current schedule, but in a previous block I was rotating between snatches, burpees, sprinting and heavy clean & push-press - that was fun. You can do a lot of power training and never repeat the same day in a week.

Well, clearly, anything you do with your feet planted on the ground is going to transfer some amount of loading through the knees - I don't think anybody who spends as much time thinking about training as folks around here do is at any risk of having weak tendons, per se. I do think the squat has more direct translation into jumping power than hinging movements.

But realistically, the best thing I could do for my tendons or my jumping power is drop 30 pounds of blubber...
Well heck, I've missed all the fun over here. I thought your training was top secret or something.. guess I don't get out much ROFL

Losing weight certainly helps jumping ability. I sometimes think I've done too much fast twitch leg work in my past life.. and not enough purposeful slow twitch work. It shows in running, this year I aim to make some progress along those lines. I want the wheels to better match up with the engine.

A friend ran 044 for several months on a randomized schedule, the results he reported were pretty phenomenal. I've though about doing it but I'm enjoying ad-hoc, box check type training too much. I like the flexibility for when work heats up, that puts a damper on my training much more than it used to.

12/19

AM
Easy walk
Mobility work

PM
Agile 8
63min treadmill run/walk 5.1m
- 50min jog 5.1mph
- Strides 8.7x3, 8.8x3
Pushups W1D3 x11,11,11,5
HLR 3x5 +1 plank

The mindset for this run was "why am I doing this to myself" - just was not enjoyable. No so much because of joint pain or anything, more from pushing pace more than what is comfortable. However... about 30 minutes after I was done, and I was cooking dinner, I got the sort of "afterburn" feeling. Felt like my chest was full of hot coals, but in a good way. Lasted maybe 30 minutes. Totally worth it.

Hey there, StrongFirst. Friendly neighborhood Hulk here.

By way of re-introduction: 47 yo male from the US, ex college discuss thrower, proud dad to a couple of teenagers... who I may yet decide to eat if things go sideways, who knows.

Took some time off from logging/reading here since life got a little hectic. But I ain't been slack, I've still been training regularly. I got into a rhythm for a while where I was doing pretty much every strength move I could think of roughly once a week - barbells, kettlebells, bodyweight, you name it. It was great - a lot of fun, and I felt very strong and "put together", so to speak.

But, cramming so many different movements into limited time (and recovery), something had to fall by the wayside... and it was running. In the pre-COVID days, I would run 4 10k races + an OCR or two every year, now I'm really not in shape for any of that. I got bigger and stronger - but really, I don't want to be bigger anymore. Time for this extra 20# I'm lugging around to go.

So, over the last couple months, I've been refocusing. Figure it's time to start logging again, since some of the other demands on my time eased up - and I find myself forgetting what I did last session from time to time. Priorities right now:

#1: Get back into 60-minute 10k shape.
I just finished up a couch-to-10k program based on time, which I got here: Couch To 10K | No Problem!
My mileage for that last week was just under 11 (I'm really slow), goal now is to slowly work my weekly mileage up to 15.

#2: TSC strength
I don't know if I'll ever get to do a TSC again, since there don't seem to be any host gyms nearby, but it's still a fun set of movements. At this point, just trying to maintain some deadlift strength - I swear it felt like 50 lbs just disappeared from my deadlift as soon as I started running again. Mixing weighted pull-ups with ROP-style ladders. And getting in some swings/snatches where there's room.

#3: Overhead press
For whatever reason, this has always been a weakness for me, and I've been in the mood to address it. Plus, it feels like the lift that seems to interfere the least with running recovery. Mixing barbell press with ROP-style ladders.

Let's get to work.

View attachment 22781
Funny thing, Endgame is playing in my background as we speak.

Good to have you back, Hulkster.

12/20

Woke up with an odd ache in my foot. Wasn't bad, but elected to take the morning off.

PM
Agile 8
Burpees 20x2
KB snatch 32 10x5
Mobility & balance practice

... then, when I woke up next morning, the foot ache had returned with a vengeance - really hurt. Based on the symptoms and my wife's assessment (she's a PT), look like textbook plantar fasciitis. First time I've ever had this. Guess running has to be put on hold for a while... and who knows what else.

Definitely time to look into that rowing machine.

12/20

Woke up with an odd ache in my foot. Wasn't bad, but elected to take the morning off.

PM
Agile 8
Burpees 20x2
KB snatch 32 10x5

... then, when I woke up next morning, the foot ache had returned with a vengeance - really hurt. Based on the symptoms and my wife's assessment (she's a PT), look like textbook plantar fasciitis. First time I've ever had this. Guess running has to be put on hold for a while... and who knows what else.

Whoo man, sorry to hear.. had it about 7 yrs ago, took awhile to shake it.

Based on the symptoms and my wife's assessment (she's a PT), look like textbook plantar fasciitis. First time I've ever had this. Guess running has to be put on hold for a while... and who knows what else.

Nice to have a PT in the family.

When I had plantar fasciitis years ago, it responded well to the rest and stretches my physiatrist friend recommended for me.

Missed logging a few days, lets get caught up

12/22

EYFS+
Wheel rebuild

12/23

Agile 8
25min row
25min stationary bike
Pushups W2D1 x14,14,5,5
HLR 3x5

Well, if nothing else, switching to these other modalities keeps my HR more solidly in Z2, rather than Z3. But... I don't have the sitting tolerance yet. My legs went to sleep at the end of both intervals.

12/25

WGS sequence
DL 285#x5, 325#x5, 370#x8
OP 110#x5, 125#x5, 140#x7
Pullups W7D1 30# 3x2, BW x4,3,2,2,1
TGU 24 10x10
Chop wood, carry water x4

To paraphrase Sigmarsson, "there is no reason to have xmas if you can't deadlift"

12/26

AM
Agile 8
30min stationary bike (20min, walk till my legs wake up, 10min)
Pushups W2D2 x14,14,11
HLR 3x5
Calf work

PM
WGS sequence
KB snatch 28 20x5
Hangboard

I've been wary of doing much snatch volume along with barbell + running... with running temporarily backing off, figure I might be able to pick some of this up again. But I did feel an little creaky next day... have to keep an eye on back fatigue.

12/27

Agile 8
30min row
Easy heavy bag work

12/28

WGS sequence
SQT 220#x5, 250#x5, 285#x8
BP 150#x5, 175#x5, 195#x8
Pullups W7D2 30# 2x2, BW x4,3,2,2,1
TGU 24 10x10
Chop wood, carry water x5

... a few days later, hopped on a big boat with the family, for a week of eating, drinking and visiting mini malls in foreign countries. It was a good time. Also had one of the nicest "hotel" gyms I've even used, complete with a set of kettlebells that went up to 80#. Doing snatches on a boat at sea is kind of interesting... the ground isn't supposed to be shifting around under you like that.

Reason #817 to be strong: you never know when you might be touring around an old Spanish fort, and come across a 100# cannonball that needs liftin'.

IMG_3771.jpg

I know, I really should have shouldered it... but it was really dirty and rusty, and I didn't particularly want that on my face/neck.

So, 2023 has come and gone. I know I'm a few days late, but I like to put a year recap in my log, so it's time to do so.

In 2023, most of my personal training/competition goals got sidelined to chase a coaching goal; I tried to get a competitive baseball team off the ground with my son. I knew it was going to be tough; a lot of kids in the competitive game have been playing at a higher level since they were very young, and I was assembling a group of kids who just didn't have that level of talent, to try to give them a chance. I knew it was going to be tough for us to eke out any wins, I just wanted them to compete. We put in a lot of time - winter practices, as much spring practice as I could fit in between league play and tournaments. In the end... it just wasn't enough. We put together a few competitive innings, but our games were almost without exception error-filled slaughter-fests. Just hard to watch. It's really hard to keep everyone's spirits up during a season like that, and a few of the kids definitely checked out on me by the end. A lot of it simply has to do with the talent & commitment level of the kids I got... but I can't help blaming myself. I had a lot of kids who were half of a good player (strong bat but lousy glove, or vice versa)... and I just couldn't find a way to shore up the weakness. Honestly, it still gnaws at me now, half a year later.

So, that dream is over (particular since my poor son has spent the last 3 months injured in one way or another). At this point, I don't really have any big dreams for 2024... going to play it by ear a little. But I do have some concrete goals:
  • Drop the 20# of blubber I picked up in 2022/2023. I've started to whittle away at it, but it's going to be a long road.
  • Get the 10k run time down to 66 minutes... assuming I don't get put down by plantar fasciitis
  • Maintain strength while I do those
Figure I'll keep my eyes open for a new goal along the way. Happy new year, StrongFirst.

1/8

AM
20min row 3.9km
15min treadmill walk 0.8m

Got my rowing machine (concept2) - nice, and stores upright so it doesn't take a bunch of space. While I'm waiting out the plantar fasciitis, plan is to row, bike & walk a lot.

PM
WGS sequence
DL 305#x3, 350#x3, 390#x6
OP 115#x3, 130#x3, 150#x4
Pullups W8D1 25# 3x3, BW x4,3,3,2
TGU 24 10x10
Random acts of metcon

Tried for a 5th rep on the last press, but it just wasn't in there. Pullups were a little rough too - first two reps were solid, but faded out on the 3rd every set.

I managed to get some kind of tendon strain in my wrist (probably lifting that cannonball on vacation) - it doesn't bother most things, but it doesn't like snatching, and it doesn't like the slamball I normally do for metcon. Gotta come up with alternatives for a while.

1/9

AM
20min row 4.1km
18min treadmill ruck 25# 1.0m

Back on the coaching horse in the evening - basketball is starting up. First time I've missed an evening training session in a while... but it was a hectic day at work, and after practice I was just exhausted.

1/10

AM
20min row 4.1km
20min treadmill ruck 25# 1.1m

PM
WGS sequence
KB1HS 36 30x5

12/28

WGS sequence
SQT 220#x5, 250#x5, 285#x8
BP 150#x5, 175#x5, 195#x8
Pullups W7D2 30# 2x2, BW x4,3,2,2,1
TGU 24 10x10
Chop wood, carry water x5

... a few days later, hopped on a big boat with the family, for a week of eating, drinking and visiting mini malls in foreign countries. It was a good time. Also had one of the nicest "hotel" gyms I've even used, complete with a set of kettlebells that went up to 80#. Doing snatches on a boat at sea is kind of interesting... the ground isn't supposed to be shifting around under you like that.

Reason #817 to be strong: you never know when you might be touring around an old Spanish fort, and come across a 100# cannonball that needs liftin'.

View attachment 23730

I know, I really should have shouldered it... but it was really dirty and rusty, and I didn't particularly want that on my face/neck.
Wow! It’s nice to put finally put a face to that gargantuan, green frame!

1/11

AM
20min row 4.1km
20min treadmill ruck 25# 1.1m

PM
Trifecta+
WGS sequence
SQT 235#x3, 270#x3, 300#x6
BP 160#x3, 185#x3, 205#x6
Pullups 30# 1x2, BW x4,3,3,2

Had to cut it short for dad stuff... and to sit on one of the most boring HOA Zoom calls I've ever had the misfortune to be a part of.

1/12

40min treadmill easy walk

Lazy weekend otherwise. Got to watch my boy play in a volleyball tournament, he got a few good blocks in.

1/15

AM
20min row 4.2km
20min stationary bike 5.6m
Mobility

PM
WGS sequence
DL 325#x5, 370#x3, 415#x4
OP 125#x5, 140#x3, 155#x3
Pullups 5x3
TGU 24 10x10
Ab wheel 3x5

This was a little bit of a rough session -felt a little worn down in general, and something I did early in the day irritated my wrist tendonitis. Deadlift was OK though it felt heavy. But I feel like the wrist threw off my pressing & pullups a little. Gutted through it.

1/12

40min treadmill easy walk

Lazy weekend otherwise. Got to watch my boy play in a volleyball tournament, he got a few good blocks in.

1/15

AM
20min row 4.2km
20min stationary bike 5.6m
Mobility

PM
WGS sequence
DL 325#x5, 370#x3, 415#x4
OP 125#x5, 140#x3, 155#x3
Pullups 5x3
TGU 24 10x10
Ab wheel 3x5

This was a little bit of a rough session -felt a little worn down in general, and something I did early in the day irritated my wrist tendonitis. Deadlift was OK though it felt heavy. But I feel like the wrist threw off my pressing & pullups a little. Gutted through it.
Well…that because 415 lbs. IS heavy!!! Keep up the good work! (y)

1/16

AM
20min row 4.1km
20min treadmill ruck #25 1.1m
Mobility sequence

I finally got around to reading AXE... meh. Didn't feel like any new ideas in there. Maybe that's the problem (or one of the many problems) with being an older trainee; no fancy new program sounds like the magic answer to all your goals anymore.

The one idea I did pick out of AXE was applying AGT concepts to things besides lifting weights. I was feeling really run-down today, back and shoulders were tired, abs were sore, wrist was grumpy, didn't seem like a great idea to touch the weights today... so, AGT heavy bag it was.

PM
Random acts of warmup
Heavy bag 15s x 20 OTM
Jump rope 15s x 15 OTM
Hangboard

Heavy bag felt surprisingly good for not having done any significant amount of work with it lately. I wasn't striking for max force, more just trying to keep moving continuously during the intervals. Was fun. I switched to the jump rope when it felt like my knuckles were getting a little bit raw - need to redevelop some callouses.

Back
Top Bottom