all posts post new thread

Best of Both Worlds

2/7

Making repairs

Volleyball in the evening. The difficulty with the rehab stuff is that my calves in particular always feel completely wrecked afterwards. Which is fine if it's the last physical thing I do in the day. But, there were a good 4 hours between rehab and volleyball, and my calves didn't feel anywhere near recovered. We played well enough, went 3-0, but my achilles (the good one, rather than the bad one) is a little grumpy with me this morning.

Repair invoice: 3

2/11

Agile 8
25:50 row 5km (slow)
Making repairs

After a week of focused rehab:
  • Shoulder is feeling much better. That was the least severe of the 3, but definitely a positive.
  • Weak-side PF feels about the same - no pain, but every so often I still just feel "aware" of it. Strong-side achilles is recovering well from the mild strain last week - not 100% normal today, but close.
  • Wrist remains hit-or-miss. Sometimes doesn't hurt at all, sometimes randomly sore. Definitely not ready to try swinging at this point.

Repair invoice: 7

2/14

Making repairs

Volleyball in the evening - a good 12 hours after the rehab work. Started off slow, but found our footing in the second game, went 2-1. Unfortunately, the strong-side post-volleyball achilles soreness that I got last week returned with a vengeance the next day. That's all I need - an injury caused by rehab :confused:. I think per-fatiguing my calves before volleyball exposed me to some tendonitis. Maybe it was just bound to happen, who knows. Looking into getting a good foot brace.

Repair invoice: 9

Took Thursday off to rest the achilles. Felt better on Friday, so I tried to get back to work.

2/16

AM
Agile 8
24:22 row 5km
Making repairs

PM
WGS sequence
EZ strength D8
22min treadmill ruck 1.1m

Woke up the next morning with a knot in my back. I'm guessing the achilles tendonitis messed up my walking form enough to tweak it. So I spent the day pouting and doing nothing.

2/18

Hard court volleyball

I really should not have played given the tendonitis... but the team was already down several players, and my son was subbing for us, so I jumped at the chance to play with him - first time we've ever really played together, it was a lot of fun. Definitely paying for it a little next day.

Trying to figure out now what, if anything, I should be doing until the achilles feels better. I'm not even 100% sure all the PT is a good thing for it at the moment. This getting old stuff sucks.

Repair invoice: 10

The PT is probably not the culprit here….
Just sayin…
Yeah, I know... if anything, it's the cheeseburgers.

Took it pretty easy on Monday

2/19

Agile 8
Circuit x3
- Pushups x10
- Kneeling ab wheel x5
- GSQT 16 x10
- Chinups x3
- KB good morning 16 x10
- KB pullover 16 x10
23:11 row 3km
Making repairs

Knot in the back is nearly gone, but the achilles is still messing with the way I walk. Plan to take it easy at least until I can walk normally.

On the plus side - shoulder feels generally good, my wrist is steadily improving (though still has limitations), and the weak-side plantar fascia seems to be back to normal.

Repair invoice: 11

2/20

Agile 8
Making repairs

Hectic day between being up too late the night before, work & coaching - just didn't have time/energy for much training. We're in the last week of my son's basketball season... and I realized that, depending on what he decides to do in the spring, it's possible this might actually be the last team of his I'll ever coach.
Sadness - Sadness (Inside Out) foto (38695257) - fanpop

Repair invoice: 12

2/20

Agile 8
Making repairs

Hectic day between being up too late the night before, work & coaching - just didn't have time/energy for much training. We're in the last week of my son's basketball season... and I realized that, depending on what he decides to do in the spring, it's possible this might actually be the last team of his I'll ever coach.
Sadness - Sadness (Inside Out) foto (38695257) - fanpop

Repair invoice: 12
Coaching your son's team is a great example of excellent parenting imo, my friend.

2/21

Agile 8
Making repairs

Took the day off from volleyball to rest the achilles. Continues to feel better - next day, felt like I was walking normally, though I can still feel some ROM restriction in it. But I was itching to get back to training, so:

2/22

WGS sequence
EZ strength D9
24:24 row 5km
Making repairs

All felt good. I did notice during deadlifts that, if I really focused on balancing weight between both feet, the injured achilles let me know - not pain, but that kind of "don't hit me too hard" warning signal. Which probably means that last time I lifted, I was favoring off that foot, which likely contributed to the back knot the next day.

Feeling good today - good sign.

Repair invoice: 14

2/23

AM
Agile 8
Making repairs

PM
WGS sequence
EZ strength D10
25min stationary bike 7.3m

2/24

WGS sequence
EZ strength D11
23:45 row 5km
Making repairs

2/25

Hard court volleyball
Making repairs

Achilles is feeling pretty good, but not quite good enough to start running again - hopefully just another week or two. the first 10k of the year is going to be here before I know it. Doesn't seem to have be irritated by playing volleyball, but I could also tell a few times that I'm not moving at full speed yet.

Wrist is able to tolerate more and more force, but based on the random tweaks I feel here or there it still feels like I'm a ways from being able to swing a KB again.

Repair invoice: 17

2/27

AM
Agile 8
Making repairs

PM
WGS sequence
EZ strength D13

Second day in a row I just ran out of time for LISS - just a hectic week, driving my son around for basketball tryouts. I've been focusing on the rehab stuff for the last few weeks - I'm thinking next week I'll reduce the volume there to make sure I can get in some dedicated LISS sessions.

Repair invoice: 19

2/28

Volleyball

The achilles slowed me down a little bit (I wore a brace), but still played pretty well, went 1-2. A handful of positive developments:
  • The volleyball warmup drill I normally do that was bothering my wrist for a while didn't hurt yesterday
  • Typically my shoulder tires out towards the end of the match and I can't serve as hard - yesterday I was still serving hard even at the end. Seems like the rotator cuff stuff I've been doing for the sore shoulder may have done good things for the other shoulder too.
  • No achilles pain the next day
Making good progress.

Not so positive: my best spike of the night hit one of the opposing players square in the chest. She was standing near the back line, but it bounced off her so hard, it came back over the net, and landed right in the back corner - their point. My teammates just kind of watched it happen. Ugh. o_O

Repair invoice: 19

Back
Top Bottom