Joint maintenance

3/2

WGS sequence
EZ strength D16
25min stationary bike 7.3m
Joint maintenance

3/3

Hard court volleyball

My son subbed with us again. He's getting better - one great spike (which I set for him), and one monster block. Fun to watch.

3/4

AM
Agile 8
30min easy walk

This was sort of testing the waters, trying to see if I can start jogging again. The walk itself felt fine, but afterwards there was a little knot in my back - which tells me the achilles is still messing up my stride, not time to return yet.

PM
WGS sequence
EZ strength D17
20min row 4.2km
Joint maintenance

This easy strength / S&S style of do-the-same-thing-everyday training is great for when life gets too hectic to predict how many training days you're going to get, or when you just aren't in condition to handle any high-intensity stuff (as I am right now)... but I gotta admit, I am missing having some intensity in there. That's what I've come to like about the 5/3/1 system, there's the option for a "challenge" every training session. People talk about training to "feel good", which I imagine to most people just means being pain-free. To me, feeling good has to also include feeling ready to do something strenuous/aggressive/awesome.

Swung a 16 KB a couple times today, just to test out the wrist. No pain there. But I did feel a slight twinge earlier in the day when I caught a ball at a weird angle - still not 100%.

3/6

Volleyball

Played well, went 2-1... but had some achilles pain the next day. Seems like sand might actually be tougher on the achilles than hard court - the impact from jumping is less, but the uneven surface may be stressing it.

3/7

AM
Agile 8
Joint maintenance

PM
WGS sequence
EZ strength D19
25min row 5.1km

3/8

AM
Agile 8
Joint maintenance

PM
WGS sequence
EZ strength D20
25min stationary bike 7.2m

Halfway through my first run of easy strength. I'm kinda proud of myself for picking weights that actually made sense right off the bat - it's enough that I feel some accumulated fatigue on back-to-back days, but feel pretty good after one rest day.

3/9

WGS sequence
EZ strength D21
25min row 5.2km

3/10

Hard-court volleyball

3/12

WGS sequence
EZ strength D23
C210K (couch to 10k) D1W1 27min 1.6m

I can jog again! ... if you can call moving this slowly jogging. I'm restarting the coach-to-10K program I did before, even slower than before as I rebuild volume. No pain from either foot/ankle next day, that's a good sign.

3/13

Volleyball - good night, went 2-1. Ankles continue to improve, no pain. I had a ton of blocks - which partially speaks to playing a less experienced team that just weren't that good at hitting around a block.

3/14

WGS sequence
EZ strength D24
C210k W1D2 21min 1.2m

3/15

WGS sequence
EZ strength D25
25min row 5.1km

3/16

WGS sequence
EZ strength D26
C210k W1D3 33min 2.0m

That afternoon I played ~10 minutes of 1v1 basketball against my son, in which I discovered:
* I am currently not in shape for doing that kind of repeated quick bursts of intense activity
* It's really hard to shoot over a kid who is 34 years younger and 2 inches taller than you are

3/17

Hard-court volleyball

+ multiple rounds of Guinness curls

3/19

WGS sequence
EZ strength D28
C210k W2D1 31min 2.0m

Felt good to nudge the run volume up a little further - body felt warm and loose at the end. But then tightened up and felt under-recovered about an hour later - back a little stiff, and surprising grumpiness from the elbows. Might skip the weights on Thursday to rest.

3/20

Volleyball - played OK, went 1-2. No achilles pain the next day, good sign.

Took Thursday off completely, just wasn't feeling 100%.

3/22

WGS sequence
EZ strength D29
C210k W2D2 27min 1.7m

Felt OK starting the session, but pretty quickly in I started to feel lousy - back in particular felt weakened. I finished the lifts, but it felt like I was going to be in pain the next day. Luckily, I was not, but I opted to stay off the weights for the weekend.

3/23

C210k W2D3 35min 2.2m

3/24

Hard court volleyball - we played terrible, lost the first two games by 10+ points. For this league, I hadn't been spiking, just to avoid stressing my achilles, but after those first couple games I decided I needed to hammer a few to make up for the embarrassing losses - we won the third game.

3/26

WGS sequence
EZ strength D31
C210k W3D1 33min 2.2m

In a commercial gym, will have a few sessions here as I am driving my boy to his basketball practices (which, for the first time since he was in kindergarten, I am not coaching). Nice enough space, had everything I needed. The only problem was a sign saying "please be quiet, yoga in session!" Maybe don't put a yoga studio right next to the squat racks & bumper weights? :rolleyes: I rattled the floor with some deadlifts anyway... we'll see how long it takes them to kick me out.

3/26

WGS sequence
EZ strength D31
C210k W3D1 33min 2.2m

In a commercial gym, will have a few sessions here as I am driving my boy to his basketball practices (which, for the first time since he was in kindergarten, I am not coaching). Nice enough space, had everything I needed. The only problem was a sign saying "please be quiet, yoga in session!" Maybe don't put a yoga studio right next to the squat racks & bumper weights? :rolleyes: I rattled the floor with some deadlifts anyway... we'll see how long it takes them to kick me out.
It must be great to coach your own son. As it is to coach youngsters.
In my country there is a "pandemic" of youth coaches trying to prove themselves and teaching the kids, even 10 years old kids, complex tactics like pick n roll etc and not teaching them how to improve their shooting or how to dribble.
So, we have a plethora of 15-25 years old players who know how to play pick n roll perfectly, but have terrible 3point percentages.

Last edited:
It must be great to coach your own son. As it is to coach youngsters.
Coaching really has been one of my great joys in life, and I'm sad that the phase where I can do that for my own son is ending now. I'll spend the next few years just being a fan, but once he's off to college, I plan look into coaching at the high school level.

In my country there is a "pandemic" of youth coaches trying to prove themselves and teaching the kids, even 10 years old kids, complex tactics like pick n roll etc and not teaching them how to improve their shooting or how to dribble.
So, we have a plethora of 15-25 years old players who know how to play pick n roll perfectly, but have terrible 3point percentages.
Ha, I'm exactly the opposite - the primary two sports I've coached for my son were baseball and basketball, and I've never actually played either competitively, so I just don't really know the advanced tactics! But I have a reasonable understanding of biomechanics & sports psychology, so I'm all about basics, basics, and more basics.

3/27

AM
Agile 8
Joint maintenance

PM
Volleyball. Played well, went 2-1. Next day, my achilles felt fine, but actually found that my plantar fasciitis (opposite foot) was throwing up some warning signs. Moving around in the sand is just a lot of stress on the feel & ankles.

Ha, I'm exactly the opposite - the primary two sports I've coached for my son were baseball and basketball, and I've never actually played either competitively, so I just don't really know the advanced tactics! But I have a reasonable understanding of biomechanics & sports psychology, so I'm all about basics, basics, and more basics.

This is exactly what a youth coach should do. Helping the kids become better, as athletes and as humans. Much more important than winning the under 14 league.

3/28

WGS sequence
EZ strength D32
C210k W3D2 28min 1.9m

Sad commercial gym story for today: I watched a kid (late teens, early twenties) doing squats with a range of motion of around 6 inches. Not even deep enough to call them quarter squats, I'd say. I so wanted to go discuss squat depth with him... but, in my old age, I have learned that nobody wants unsolicited gym advice.

Back
Top Bottom