all posts post new thread

Best of Both Worlds

Took Wednesday mostly off, given how run-down I felt on Tuesday. Played volleyball for the first time since the holidays that night, went well enough. I had one hit where it felt like I buried the ball 2 feet down in the sand, good stuff.

1/18

20min stationary bike 5.3m
20min treadmill ruck 25# 1.1m

Later in the morning, my back started to hurt. Not terrible, but felt like I couldn't quite stand up straight. Some combination of fatigue from training and wrenching it in volleyball, I suppose... I don't really know. But between that, and the sore wrist, I'm feeling kind of brittle at the moment. Ups and downs of life, I guess.

Ok, time to get back on the horse.

1/20

WGS sequence
SQT 250#x5, 285#x3, 320#x4
BP 175#x5, 195#x3, 220#x4
Assorted grip pullups 12x2
TGU 24 10x1
Kneeling ab wheel 3x5

When I first headed down to the gym, I wasn't sure lifting was a good idea today. But, after warmups the back seemed to release, and it was go time. Being old & brittle sucks, but bouncing back big is awesome.

It's deload week, so I'm trying to go super-deload... well, just lazy, really. I don't have much hope that a week of avoiding the weights will be enough to bring my wrist back in line... these tendonitis things seem to take months, not days/weeks. But still probably a good idea to lay off.

Did do much of anything on Monday except an easy walk.

1/23

Heavy bag 15s x20 OTM
Pushups x3 + Chinup x1 x20 OTM

1/26

AM
20min stationary bike 5.4m
20min treadmill ruck #25 1.1m

PM
WGS sequence
BB thrusters 95# 25x2 OTM
Deck squats 15x2 OTM

Wanted to throw a little weight around, but still take it easy on the wrist. After a little experimentation on what I could do, settled on the light thruster. Wasn't able to get all the way into the rack because of the wrist, but with that weight I didn't really need to. Elbows were what ended up tiring out first with those. And then, after the deck squats, my abs were really barking at me - wow.

Lazy weekend after that. During breakfast on Sunday, my daughter asked me when I'm going to do another lifting competition. Then my wife asked when I'm going to do another OCR. Guess old Dad needs to get back on the do-awesome-stuff horse.

1/29

AM
20min row 4.1km
20min stationary bike 5.4m

PM
WGS sequence
DL 290#x5, 335#x5, 380#x7
OP 110#x5, 125#x5, 140#x6
TGU 24 10x1
Hangboard
Ab wheel 3x5

Not a great session. My hands felt very raw after deadlift, and my should felt a little bit off. Just gutted through it.

1/30

AM
20min row 4.1km

PM
WGS sequence
Wander around the gym aimlessly trying to figure out what to do x10 minutes
Circuit x4
- KB switch 32 2x5
- Pushups x5
- Chin-ups x2

Bit of a rough day... when I went down to the gym for the PM session, I felt like I had zero energy, and was definitely not recovered from yesterday - hands still raw, some lat soreness, grumpy shoulder. Feels like the body is throwing up a lot of red flags - maybe I'm mildly sick or something. Plan to take Wednesday largely off, and see how things feel on Thursday, maybe time for a programming reboot.

1/30

AM
20min row 4.1km

PM
WGS sequence
Wander around the gym aimlessly trying to figure out what to do x10 minutes
Circuit x4
- KB switch 32 2x5
- Pushups x5
- Chin-ups x2

Bit of a rough day... when I went down to the gym for the PM session, I felt like I had zero energy, and was definitely not recovered from yesterday - hands still raw, some lat soreness, grumpy shoulder. Feels like the body is throwing up a lot of red flags - maybe I'm mildly sick or something. Plan to take Wednesday largely off, and see how things feel on Thursday, maybe time for a programming reboot.
What are you thinking for the next step?

Took Wednesday off, but went out to play volleyball, which went fine... but, there was one point during warmups when I was just palming a ball, and my wrist twinged. That just put me in a bad mental state (now I'm too hurt to pick up a volleyball?!) that took me a while to work out of.

So, currently nursing 3 injuries:
  • Plantar fasciitis: I haven't had any actual pain for weeks, but periodically I just become aware of it feeling fatigued, so I'm still cautious about doing anything with much sharp impact on the feet.
  • Wrist sprain: randomly feels fine, randomly twinges. Doesn't seem to be that much rhyme of reason to it - but it definitely doesn't allow for any sort of swings (I think that's why it twinged at volleyball - some swings the day before)
  • Sore shoulder: this was improving, but I suspect that the wrist sprain caused some kind of press technique failure that re-irritated it.
Between all that, feels like I can't give anything full effort. So, focus for the next few weeks will be accumulating low-impact cardio, light barbell work to keep the groove, and more focus on rehab.

Here's what I've done the last few days:

2/1

20min row 4.3km
20min stationary bike 5.7m

2/3

Agile 8
20min row 4.3km
Making repairs

"Making repairs" is the name I'm using for a rehab sequence of light plyometrics, isometrics & hypertrophy movements I worked out with a PT (my wife) for my aches. It's a lot of stuff - takes about 30 minutes to get through it all, without much rest in there. To give me something to focus on while everything else is at 50% intensity, the goal is to do it at least 20 times this month. So... start the counter:

Repair invoice: 1

2/5

AM
Agile 8
23min row 5km

PM
WGS sequence
EZ strength D1
Making repairs

As suggested by brother @Spartan Agoge , will take a stab at easy strength for a while. Normally I like to reserve a couple days to work on power/ballistics, but given my current limitations this seems like a good fit. Here's what I'm doing:
- DL 290# 2x5
- OP 110# 2x5
- SQT 225# 2x5
- Chinups 2x3
- BP 155# 2x5
- Ab wheel 2x5

Went with ~2 minutes rest between sets, took about 35 minutes to get through it all, including changing the weights and the like. Skipped any sort of loaded carry since I'm planning for a lot of rucks.

Writing it all out like that highlights how my bench is weak relative to my other lifts, if you think about the 5/4/3/2 DL/SQT/BP/OP ratio. That's always been true for me. I could probably do more now, but at the same time it feels like there's some support muscular in there that needs to be shored up first.

EDIT: fixed OP weight

Repair invoice: 2

Last edited:
2/6

AM

PM
WGS sequence
EZ strength D2

Day 1 of easy strength, I'm thinking "is this really enough to even maintain?" Day 2, I'm thinking "I'm already tired and 40 days sounds like a lot!" It's still "easy", but I'm surprised how much fatigue I felt at even just doing it two days in a row.

2/6

AM

PM
WGS sequence
EZ strength D2

Day 1 of easy strength, I'm thinking "is this really enough to even maintain?" Day 2, I'm thinking "I'm already tired and 40 days sounds like a lot!" It's still "easy", but I'm surprised how much fatigue I felt at even just doing it two days in a row.

It’s definitely enough. You are basically doing a 5x5 stretched across 5 days instead of just one day. Easy Strength is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom