4/22

WGS sequence
DL 320#x3, 370#x3, 415#x3
OP 115#x3, 130#x3, 150#x3
Pullups x4,3,2,1
Glute & shoulder circuit x3
Hangboard
Ab wheel 10x2

Historically, my hamstring flexibility has always been pretty poor. Some time in the last couple months I rediscovered the KB good morning as a stretch - most days I spend around a minute in it, and while I wouldn't say my hamstring flexibility is "good" yet, it's better than it's been in a long while, particularly when I'm warm. Today, I really felt the top set of deadlifts in the hamstrings - a lot more than usual. I'm hoping that's a sign of some technique improvement coming from more mobility, though I can't prove it without before & after videos.

Nice to get the hangboard out again, has been a while since I did that. Had to keep it relatively light (toes still on the floor most of the time) to protect the wrist, but still felt it plenty in the forearms. I shuffled the ab wheel in between hangs.

4/23

WGS sequence
KB1HS 10x10 24
TGU 8x1 24, 2x1 80#
C210k W7D1 47min 3.4m
- strides x5

Felt like doing something fun, so the last round of TGUs I grabbed the heaviest KB they had (still in the commercial gym for a while). Was a little bit of a shock to the system making the jump from the 24, but felt pretty stable.

Hit "cruising" speed during the second jog interval today, felt good. HR didn't get into Z4 until late in the 3rd interval, vs most of the 3rd interval being in Z4 on Sunday. Little signs of progress.

Still really struggling on the aspect of dropping weight. It's not a surprise, though - I've been tracking my calories consistently for a couple months, and my intake has stayed pretty constant, so my weight has stayed pretty constant too. I just really suck at being hungry.

Still really struggling on the aspect of dropping weight. It's not a surprise, though - I've been tracking my calories consistently for a couple months, and my intake has stayed pretty constant, so my weight has stayed pretty constant too. I just really suck at being hungry.
My N=1. Since starting carnivore 8 mos ago I don't get hungry, a dozen eggs and a pound of 75% Wagyu beef daily, split into two meals with minimum 16 hr fast. Last longish fast was 42 hrs without any sign of hunger.

My N=1. Since starting carnivore 8 mos ago I don't get hungry, a dozen eggs and a pound of 75% Wagyu beef daily, split into two meals with minimum 16 hr fast. Last longish fast was 42 hrs without any sign of hunger.
One thing I've read on the general psychology of hunger is that variety is a trigger - when you have multiple food options, your cravings can shift around and always stay strong. If you acclimate to a low-variety diet - whatever it is - then eventually eating becomes just something you do, as opposed to something you take joy from. Sounds like you might be in that space.

One thing I've read on the general psychology of hunger is that variety is a trigger - when you have multiple food options, your cravings can shift around and always stay strong. If you acclimate to a low-variety diet - whatever it is - then eventually eating becomes just something you do, as opposed to something you take joy from. Sounds like you might be in that space.
Yeah. One of the only strategies that works for me long term is getting my "default" meals to be the calorie content that I need for my goal. So while I maintain fine on a breakfast of eggs, toast, and spinach. When losing weight I'll switch to eggs on a giant pile of spinach so I get the volume to feel full.

Interesting enough I think this applies within a meal too. You'll get "full" eating one thing, and then you start eating another thing and instantly you're no longer full.

Huh.. have not heard of the variety/hunger connection before.

I will say that eating the same thing every meal is more than ok for me.. I don't get sick of it due to the way it's prepared, loads of grass fed butter and eggs fried to over easy on low heat. The meat is cooked in a pan using a convected toaster oven, I like it to be slightly singed and in smaller pieces.. Costco's Wagyu is excellent beef.. tastes like steak the way I cook it.

Most carnivore difficulty is with the social aspect.. my pseudo wife wants me to cook and eat with her as before. I have a hard limit of 'cheat' meals set at once per week, though I rarely do even that much. Positives heavily outweigh negatives. After the accident I did it to decrease general inflammation, it's working well for recovery and has become a haven filled with great benefits.

Not trying to sell anyone.. it's worked very well for me is all I can/will say about it. My brother is using it to lose weight, he's down 80 lbs, just ticking them down slowly @ ~3lbs/week.

Yeah. One of the only strategies that works for me long term is getting my "default" meals to be the calorie content that I need for my goal. So while I maintain fine on a breakfast of eggs, toast, and spinach. When losing weight I'll switch to eggs on a giant pile of spinach so I get the volume to feel full.
I think a key difference in perceived satiation lies in fats consumed. Fats leave me not hungry for many hours.. training in a fasted state (past 24 hrs) is pretty euphoric.

It also feels as though insulin resistance has dropped, judged off of carbs eaten sporadically. I just don't feel the dreaded blood sugar swings anymore.. and I like it :cool:

I think a key difference in perceived satiation lies in fats consumed. Fats leave me not hungry for many hours.. training in a fasted state (past 24 hrs) is pretty euphoric.

It also feels as though insulin resistance has dropped, judged off of carbs eaten sporadically. I just don't feel the dreaded blood sugar swings anymore.. and I like it :cool:
Eh, I'm not sold that specific macros satiate everyone the same. I'm more of a fiber Stan.

Eg a potato and beef bowl will fill me up more than equivalent beef bowl.

High fat definitely works for some... But I can easily eat 2000 calories of a brisket and ask for more.

Last edited:
Eh, I'm not sold that specific macros satiate everyone the same. I'm more of a fiber Stan.

Eg a potato and beef bowl will fill me up more than equivalent beef bowl.

High fat definitely works for some... But I can easily eat 2000 calories of a brisket and ask for more.
I hear you man.. When first starting I didn't know what demands my body would have as far as caloric totals. I started out eating a ton of pre-cooked beef along with some eggs. Later, when reporting to Al Ciampa that I felt like my body was in a catabolic state.. he said I needed more fat intake, when I did that I found a perfect caloric equilibrium.

The only time I feel hungry now is after eating carbs.. please don't get me wrong, I love a baked potato, yams, brown rice and oatmeal etc, they just aren't needed now.

As you said, everyone is different. I used to be a sugar burning, carb eating machine for many years when building homes, bodybuilding and karate training. Now, my body is more the 'flex fuel' variety.

4/24

Volleyball. We got blanked - we were close in one game, but just generally outclassed by a much better team. It happens. I was a little frustrated at not getting any really good sets, but I did manage to have a bunch of good cut shots.

4/25

WGS sequence
SQT 255#x3, 290#x3, 330#x3
BP 175#x3, 200#x3, 225#x3
Pullups x4,3,2,1
Squat & pushup circuit x3
Bar hangs
Ab wheel 3x(4,4)

The barbell was my first love, and I'm really happy to have picked it back up in the last few years. But interestingly, as I get older, at the top sets I definitely feel a little bit of fear. Am I getting too old for this? Is this one going to get me hurt? I know the risk/reward ratio just isn't right for some folks... but, I still take joy from finishing the sets and telling myself, "keep lifting, old man."

Pullups felt awesome today - definitely still had a couple reps in reserve on the top set. Upped the hindu squats to 22, and definitely hit the point where it became a full-body challenge - I was kind of sucking wind for the rest of the session.

In other news... I've been stretching pretty regularly for the last few months (it's a good excuse to get up in the middle of work and not work), and I'm starting to see some progress. And now I'm starting to find that one of the limitations I'm running into is that as I get deeper into some positions, my big old legs tend to squeeze my... more sensitive areas. I spent some time Googling "stretch modifications for men" and the like... took me down some pretty weird rabbit holes.

Back
Top Bottom