all posts post new thread

Nutrition Best Pre-Workout Drink?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I don't want to the "that" guy, but I've never understood the concept of a pre-workout drink for energy. Even though I don't do shakes myself, I at least understand the idea behind pre/post protein, BCAA's, etc. Necessary, probably not (argue that at a different time I suppose) but I get it.

But for energy....If you need something other than a coffee and/or motivation as a pick me up to do your workout, maybe that's not the right program for you.

water and motivation

I was being a bit sarcastic but not totally. If a person needs a stimulant for energy to workout, then they need to reevaluate their lifestyle. I'm not saying this is you or anybody here but the popularity of "pre-workout" is symptomatic of a widespread problem. People are not paying enough attention to recovery, especially sleep, so they rely on stimulants to get through a workout. This is a very bad sign. The best "pre-workout" is 8+ hours of sleep. And the best "post-workout" is a healthy diet and 8+ hours of sleep.

I posted earlier on this thread to the effect that I don't feel the need to drink anything special before training. Nor do I feel the need to eat or drink anything special after training.

However, if I am going to play basketball (often 3 hours or more of full court games), I CAN'T eat or drink anything other than water for a minimum of 2 hours before or my stomach is going to be very uncomfortable afterwards (and 2 hours is cutting it close; longer is better). I also can't eat anything immediately after playing and generally give my body at least an hour or two to cool down.

My digestion is otherwise problem free, and normal training doesn't bother it a bit. I've done A+A sessions of over 60 repeats, all kinds of other high volume swing and snatch sessions, long duration low intensity cardio, hill sprints, or really anything, over many years of training, and never had it affect my digestion. But basketball is just a different story.

Probably more detail than anybody cares for, here is what I do....

For most of my annual plan, I drink a lot of water before, during, and after my workout. And really, only water. I'm typically not a fan of soda or energy drinks, etc...

If I'm training for power lifting meet or a specific maximum attempt, 8 weeks out I will make a protein shake and add a scoop of creatine. I take it once per day, usually right after my workout. I typically only do this once per year. I will put on a little "water weight" and get a little bloated. Doing this comes at a very slight reduction in my quality of life. By the end of the 8 weeks, I hate drinking those Damn shakes!!

Usually once per year for about 1 month (typically immediately after the power lifting training) I will go on a calorie restricted diet to drop 10 lbs of excess body fat that has accumulated over the previous year. Typically hi protein diet with little carbohydrates. During this time, I typically drink the Orange Gatorade during my workouts. The Orange one is the only one that I like the taste of.

On the weekends 1 or 2 or 3 beers or old fashioneds(bourbon) for my soul.

You would be better sleeping more in that scenario. Sometimes sleep is more important than going to the gym.

This is a common scenario in the Navy SPECWAR community. The never ending cycle of long, stressful days, coupled with a need to stay in top shape sometimes leads to stimulant use before workouts (generally caffeine). Dr. Kirk Parsley has written much about this but the take home message is that in the long run, it is a disaster. You can only hold on for so long, then there is a catastrophic crash, fitness vanishes and you are left fighting some serious health problems. That's why anyone I work with who is taking "pre-workout" I suspect that they have lifestyle issues that need to be modified before we can make any substantial progress. In any case, just Google Dr. Kirk Parsley, he explains all of this more eloquently than me.

@mprevost My life revolves around caffeine. Long hours and commute, responsibilities and family. So life goes. Most things are out of my control I just deal with it. I know I need more sleep, but it doesn’t happen as much as it should. 8 hours is rare, 6 hours is uncommon, less is often.

If caffeine is my only vice I am doing a lot better than most.

I switched to Easy Strength style training after realizing I cannot sustain long gruelling training anymore. Progress on Easy Strength is slower but sustainable, on nothing more than coffee, creatine, and Whey.

I used to have a preworkout vice, gotta have the caffeine! But lately I’ve changed to where my preworkout is <6g citrulline, 3g beta alanine, 10g BCAA, and 100mg caffeine>. You can get these in bulk for around $50 total and you have probably 300 servings of preworkout.

This is a common scenario in the Navy SPECWAR community. The never ending cycle of long, stressful days, coupled with a need to stay in top shape sometimes leads to stimulant use before workouts (generally caffeine). Dr. Kirk Parsley has written much about this but the take home message is that in the long run, it is a disaster. You can only hold on for so long, then there is a catastrophic crash, fitness vanishes and you are left fighting some serious health problems. That's why anyone I work with who is taking "pre-workout" I suspect that they have lifestyle issues that need to be modified before we can make any substantial progress. In any case, just Google Dr. Kirk Parsley, he explains all of this more eloquently than me.
@mprevost this isn’t just a problem with the NSW bubbas but across SOF as a whole. There’s a big pressure to continue to perform; to be bigger, faster, and stronger. USASOC (army special operations) is trying to fix this with the implementation of THOR3 (tactical human optimization rapid rehabilitation and reconditioning) with certified strength coaches, dietitians, and physical therapists. It’s a struggle that we have to deal with and for some there is not light at the end of the tunnel.

I've been training fasted in the morning the last few months. I haven't felt different from when I trained after eating.

About pre workout, I have never found any food or drink to make a difference. The only thing I have found useful is to do the warm up at once. Everything goes smoothly afterwards.

@Geoff Chafe , I’m with you mate. I start at 3am most mornings & work long hours. Have an 7yr old boy that loves playing with his dad everyday after school. When I do get time I should have a nap & catch up, but training is me time. Having a workout keeps me sane, allows me to do something just for me. I find if I don’t get my daily fix I get depressed & some old bad habits start tapping me on the shoulder. A mate once told me he’ll “get enough sleep when he’s dead”. I’m not quite that full on but some of us don’t have a choice

Coconut Oil Coffee for Pre Workout Energy

Minimal MCTs In Coconut Oil

The issue with this article is that it misleadingly promotes Coconut Oils as a good source of MCTs.

In reality, only 20% of Coconut Oil is composed of MCTs. The remaining 80% is composed of Lauric Acid nd other fats.
MCT-Foods.png

Graph Source: https://ketosource.co.uk/caprylic-acid-c8/

"Lauric acid is a good food source, but it behaves like an LCT (long chain triglyceride), not an MCT, when you consume it, which means you don’t get the fast ketone energy from it..."

"From a biology perspective, lauric acid should actually be considered a LCT"..."
Source: What Is MCT Oil Really? MCT Oils vs. Coconut Oil Explained

Digestion Time

1) Coconut Oil Digestion Time is much longer due to thae fact that it is a Long Chain Fatty Acid...

a) Ketone level peak at about 3 hour after taking Coconut Oil.

b) Ketones remained in system for 7 - 8 hours.

2) MCT Oil Digest Time is fast.

a) Ketone level higher but peaked at 90 minutes.

b) Ketones gone at 3 hours
Source:
How Much Coconut Oil for Alzheimer's & Dementia?

Cost: MCT Vs Coconut Oil

The cost of MCT Oil is similar to Coconut Oil.

Take Home Message

Coconut Oil provide some great heath benefits.

However, ...

1) Coconut Oil is low in MCTs. That because Lauric Acid (a Long Chain Fatty Acid) was erroneously considered to be a Medium Chain Fatty Acid, which it is not.

The incorrect dogma on Coconut Oil being a high source of MCTs continue to be perpetuated.

2) MCTs are absorbed much faster into your system and available for use: much faster than Coconut Oil.

3) The cost of MCT Oil is virtually the same as Coconut Oil.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom