all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Best strength exercises for minimal routine for older folk to combat sarcopenia and slowing down

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
For an older person with zero fitness and strength using a machine is safe as they have a low level of demand that in both in terms of movements and the psychological sense.

Absodarnlutely!! My 85 year old mother has osteoporosis. She recently fell and broke her arm (thank God not her hip). Yes, machine training for someone her age/condition is every bit as effective as 32kg snatches are for me.

Just a note--6X8 at 60% is a lot more than 5X5 at 70%. No surprise. But the surprise was, it felt like a lot more work but I was and continue to be, less fatigued/burnt at end of last set at higher reps lower weight. That may not last. Time will tell

Re: less fatigue

I have the same outcome, which is why I follow a Heavy (80%) / Light (60%) / Medium (70%) schedule.

I can get a lot more total volume in, and increase my total work capacity, by using wavy intensity.

I have the same outcome, which is why I follow a Heavy (80%) / Light (60%) / Medium (70%) schedule.

I can get a lot more total volume in, and increase my total work capacity, by using wavy intensity.
I was doing that w/ trap bar dl's, 5X5 at 60%, 65%, and 70%. What I'm doing now feels much different AND I decided after the last (7X10) session that 60% at that volume is too much to start with so today going with 50%. Once I get to 10X10 I will start adding weight. This is all an experiment, a bit off the beaten path so far as I know anyway. This feels less like the usual gym antics and more like doing a labor job, like stacking bags of grain on a fork lift pallet. At some point, if this all seems good to me, I might try to rearrange furniture so I can pick it up, walk a bit, put it down, pick it, walk a bit, like carrying those bags across a warehouse

A current goal at 68 is to know that I can confidently challenge the average 20+ year younger wiseacre to a pushup contest if he makes some age crack.

Not that I would, necessarily, but under certain circumstances it could be very tempting.

And if I get taken up on it I would most likely be able to school him on what a real pushup looks like.

Dumbbell floor presses, one arm dumbbell rows and hip belt squats will build and help maintain the overwhelming majority of muscle that can be built and maintained. They can be done safely at home with a very low cost in equipment. They do not require a safety cage or a spotter. Dumbbell floor presses will give most of the benefits of a barbell bench press with a much lower risk of shoulder injuries. One arm dumbbell rows will give most of the benefits of a barbell bent-over row with a much lower risk of lower back injuries. Hip belt squats will give most of the benefits of a barbell squat with none of the spinal disc compression. Powerlifters at the Westside Barbell gym use floor presses to increase their bench presses. They also use hip belt squats to increase their squats. It is not a perfect workout and it is not supposed to be. The question was “Best strength exercises for minimal routine for older folk to combat sarcopenia and slowing down”.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom