all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Best strength exercises for minimal routine for older folk to combat sarcopenia and slowing down

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Varying objectives, varying fitness levels, wide range of age and abilities. Figuring out where they were starting from, what would best get them to their goals, and picking the most efficient and effective method without scaring them off was quite a challenge!

This explained it better than I did. A good trainer has a playbook, not a schematic. I remember a few years ago posting that my family had joined a new gym and my (then) 13 year old daughter (first time gym attendee) ended up with a free programming session with the resident PT. She walked out of that on a Bro Split - three days weekly, push/pull/legs. I mean seriously! She was 13! And the reason she ended up with that program was because everyone who went to that PT (whether young, old, sick or lame) ended up with that program.

This was one of the biggest challenges for me as a trainer. I was working at a military gym, part time, and clients would book 1, 3, or 10 sessions at a time. Varying objectives, varying fitness levels, wide range of age and abilities. Figuring out where they were starting from, what would best get them to their goals, and picking the most efficient and effective method without scaring them off was quite a challenge! I had two that I am pretty sure I took too far too fast -- and it wasn't in weight, volume, or exercise selection. These were appropriate. It was just in newness and amount of challenge relative to what they felt mentally prepared to take on. Some of that has to to with the atmosphere, too -- what they see around them, how much they have to navigate the environment to take their space, get their equipment set up, etc... There are many things that are new to some that we feel like are second nature once we've been in the gym a while. I agree that consistency and building a habit are critically important in the beginning for newbies to the gym. For others who are comfortable in the gym environment and want to learn a new skill or get programming to move them towards a new performance goal, sure, take them straight to the best solution. But for others, the "leg press machine with a cup of tea in between sets", by all means. Well put.
This is one of the challenges of any sort of teaching. If you believe that what you offer will help your student, then you have to make "keep your student your student" part of your priorities. (My twist on DJ's "keep the goal the goal.")

-S-

For older people and, to be honest, probably 90% of the rest of the human race, the best that can be achieved is regular attendance. And the good news is that a person who goes to the gym regularly for a year, using machines that provide ease of use and the confidence of safe operation, looks and feels fantastic compared to someone who booked three sessions with a trainer and freaked out when they were put under a bar or given a kettle bell, and never went back. I see it in my gym all the time - stuff like trainers trying to teach old newbies how to squat. You can tell they're never coming back! For heaven's sake, stick them in the leg press machine with a cup of tea in between sets. Isn't that great exercise? It's not about efficient or optimal, it's about keeping these people in their comfort zone by having them do the minimum to build strength and muscle. Because if you take them out of their comfort zone, they vote with their feet and go back to bingo.

This reminds me of Schoenfeld’s article on ‘functional training’.

For an older person with zero fitness and strength using a machine is safe as they have a low level of demand that in both in terms of movements and the psychological sense.

This reminds me of Schoenfeld’s article on ‘functional training’.

My functional fitness guilty bucket list item:

I have a stability ball on my Amazon wishlist.

It's been there for 2 years.

If anyone ever buys it for me, I've pledged to learn how to do NASM-approved stability ball chest presses.

The fact that haven't bought it for myself should say something of the relative importance of this goal to me...

As an old guy (70) fighting sarcopenia and slowing down, I should probably post my latest program here. I'm not worried much about slowing down since I don't compete in anything and I am certain I never will again, and...I'm not really in much of a hurry except the rare occasion I need to cross a busy street ;). Anyway:

Alternate days, I go easy enough that I can train every day. I also walk 2 to 3 miles pretty much daily, some days rucking groceries home.

Every session starts w/ mobility flows, my own version of Scott Sonnen's IntuFlow and a few other movements from here and there. Then hip thrusters and goblet squats.

A:
8 TGU's (fairly light weight, alternating sides)
Trap bar dl's. Goal is 10X10 working up from 5X5, adding sets/reps but keeping weight at 60% until comfortable at 10X10, then adding weight in small increments. Today did 7X10 and felt pretty good though I think it needs at least one repeat before moving to 8X8.​
Ab wheel X2
Dead hang from pull up bar. 1 minuteX2
Marching sloooowly in place w/ racked kettlebell 2X30 seconds

B:
Moderately have swings (core blaster) 20X7
Ab Wheel
Dead hangs

Just a note--6X8 at 60% is a lot more than 5X5 at 70%. No surprise. But the surprise was, it felt like a lot more work but I was and continue to be, less fatigued/burnt at end of last set at higher reps lower weight. That may not last. Time will tell

Overall, in about a week I've already noticed more muscle tone, even better posture, and overall more energy (walking faster etc).

Probably won't gain much hypertrophy because I won't eat "excess" calories, only enough to match my hunger. I've been prediabetic, diabetes runs in my family, and it's not a way I want to go! My overall goal at this point is maintenance and staying healthy and uninjured.

Last edited:
I don't compete in anything and I am certain I never will again
It's fun to be the oldest person at a powerlifting meet, @GeoffreyLevens. :) I'm 65 and am usually 2nd or 3rd oldest at the meets I go to, and I don't compete a lot, usually a couple of times a year for a year or two in the middle of each of my 5-year age groups. Having something to focus on makes training different and, despite rumors to the contrary, it doesn't have to be risky.

-S-

As an old guy (70) fighting sarcopenia and slowing down, I should probably post my latest program here. I'm not worried much about slowing down since I don't compete in anything and I am certain I never will again, and...I'm not really in much of a hurry except the rare occasion I need to cross a busy street ;). Anyway:

Alternate days, I go easy enough that I can train every day. I also walk 2 to 3 miles pretty much daily, some days rucking groceries home.

Every session starts w/ mobility flows, my own version of Scott Sonnen's IntuFlow and a few other movements from here and there. Then hip thrusters and goblet squats.

A:
Trap bar dl's. Goal is 10X10 working up from 5X5, adding sets/reps but keeping weight at 60% until comfortable at 10X10, then adding weight in small increments. Today did 7X10 and felt pretty good though I think it needs at least one repeat before moving to 8X8.​
Ab wheel X2

B:
Ab Wheel
Dead hangs

Just a note--6X8 at 60% is a lot more than 5X5 at 70%. No surprise. But the surprise was, it felt like a lot more work but I was and continue to be, less fatigued/burnt at end of last set at higher reps lower weight. That may not last. Time will tell

Overall, in about a week I've already noticed more muscle tone, even better posture, and overall more energy (walking faster etc).

Probably won't gain much hypertrophy because I won't eat "excess" calories, only enough to match my hunger. I've been prediabetic, diabetes runs in my family, and it's not a way I want to go! My overall goal at this point is maintenance and staying healthy and uninjured.

This is pure gold.

I'm basically only boy(age goup Boys 35), but I'm currently doing minimalistic routine which propably fight against the aging pretty damn well.

Q&D 044 template, but with two arm swings and some push ups with the bands afterwards. Basically Easy Reg Park template modified to push ups
Easy day: 2-4 sets of 5-8 with bodyweight.
Medium day: 4-5 sets of 5-8 reps(resistance band)
Heavy day: 3-4 sets of 5-6 reps (heavier band)

Every week I try to add one rep on my medium and heavy push up days.
Swings as written: roll the dice.

It's fun to be the oldest person at a powerlifting meet,
I have no doubt of that!
I think I burned out on competition in high school wrestling. I was very much into it until one day,I just wasn't. Different strokes and all that. I like going out in nature, either alone or with one, max 2 other people. Hiking now, for 50 years surfing and trying to find the B grade so uncrowded spots, even surfing alone if/when possible, snowboarding... Just a wrinkly old hippy I guess HAHAHA!

I think I burned out on competition in high school wrestling. I was very much into it until one day,I just wasn't.
There is an expression, "Youth is wasted on the young." I didn't do any competitive sports, just friendly, backyard games, until I was an adult. Now I take it for what it is, a chance to bring a focus to my training without overtraining.

Surfing - cool. I've never tried it and likely never will. Power to you, @GeoffreyLevens - keep up the good work.

-S-

A:
Ab wheel X2

B:
Ab Wheel
Dead hangs

Fellow old guy (67 in a few weeks) with a family history of diabetes here. So much wisdom in your post, Mr. Levens!

Joint mobility/range of motion work. Light TGUs. Moderately heavy swings. Big muscle compound movements (swings, DLs and carries). Go easy enough that you feel you could train every day—but don’t. Walk 3-4 miles per day. Stay active, lean and healthy, eat moderately, avoid injury.

IMO, the way to avoid age-related sarcopenia isn’t hypertrophy programming, it’s using your muscles regularly. “Use it or lose it” is a truism.

Continued good health to you, sir!

I just enjoy training. I did it for years for my chosen profession and frankly don't want to give it up and look like a slob. Was into sports as a kid.

I trained for many years with standard resistance training and became a fairly good bencher.... along with that came shoulder issues/injuries. Gave up weight training and did strictly aerobics/treadmill/stairclimber/jog/walk, etc. and kept the middle age pudge at bay.

Mid 2000s was introduced to kettlebells ... the "Jane Fonda aerobic" stuff kept weight off but I got weak. Started integrating kettlebells in to my routine and eventually did the ROP. Came out with stronger shoulders, more muscle and a lower resting pulse. I became refocused on overhead work which for me worked well because I like to train at home in my garage. The need for a spotter was basically eliminated.

Blossomed from there and no longer involved in my profession but not going to give it up! I enjoy the way it makes me feel!

Last edited:
I think I burned out on competition in high school wrestling. I was very much into it until one day,I just wasn't. Different strokes and all that. I like going out in nature, either alone or with one, max 2 other people. Hiking now, for 50 years surfing and trying to find the B grade so uncrowded spots, even surfing alone if/when possible, snowboarding... Just a wrinkly old hippy I guess HAHAHA!
Surfing is great... good luck on finding uncrowded spots...
Of course if you are willing to go cold and / or dangerous I guess that there become more options

Surfing is great... good luck on finding uncrowded spots...
Of course if you are willing to go cold and / or dangerous I guess that there become more options
One of major reasons I now live in the Rockies in Colorado! Grew up surfing in SoCal in late 50's to mid 70's. Spent some time in Santa Cruz for college. Lived/surfed Sonoma County in early 2000's, the area known as "The Red Triangle". That last sort of took the thrill out of "cold and dangerous". Ice cream headaches, being chased out of the water by the feeling that "I'm am being watched as a potential snack..." that's sort of fun at first but then it starts to wear a bit thin. I guess I just wasn't cut out to be that kind of pirate. To get warm, quality, semi-empty waves now, you need to spend big $$$ and go to some 3rd world hideaway that has salt water crocs, poison sea snakes, and strange diseases with medical care at least 6 hours if not a couple days away. No thanks!

Must say, I really love it where I am now. There's annoyances for sure, and old hippies vs the old school ranchers social weirdness, but overall, it's pretty much Mayberry In The Mountains (for you young 'uns that's a reference to The Andy Griffith Show)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom