all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Best strength exercises for minimal routine for older folk to combat sarcopenia and slowing down

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Yes and no. Many of the current hypertrophy programs are high volume/low tension designed to put on mass as easily as possible.

IMHO, 1/3 of your sets should be with 80% or higher rep max. Strength is important too.

That's what I do.

I have 1 'heavy' day out of 3 which is loaded at 80%.

Possibly, but probably in Czech :)

I would recommend:

S&S (up to Simple) >

StrongFirst Kettlebell Course programs (there is one foundational, plus 2 follow up programs) - or ROP >

> PTTP - or Kettlebells and Deadlifts Go Together Like Vodka and Pickles | StrongFirst + follow up Kettlebells and Deadlifts, Part 2 | StrongFirst

> S&S (up to "Solid")

Feel free to insert The Naked Warrior plus some pulls (swings, snatches, barbell deadlifts) between the cycles, and/or some "Easy Strength" templates/random act of variety. Many options.

...maybe a topic for a more detailed article?

But the question wasn't about in what order one should progress through the StrongFirst programs.

The question was:

Is there an article somewhere that groups the popular strongfirst programs depending on their programming purpose and how one could run some form of block periodization to train for different goals with them?

i.e.

Which program for hypertrophy block, which for a strength block, which for a ballistic block, which for movement.

But the question wasn't about in what order one should progress through the StrongFirst programs.

The question was:

i.e.

Which program for hypertrophy block, which for a strength block, which for a ballistic block, which for movement.

Oh, sorry, I answered Anna's question, not the original question.

To the original question: thinking of it, the answer would be pretty much the same. Unless truly specific hypertrophy or absolute strength (with new 1RM at the end of the cycle) needed, I would keep it simple.

Is there an article somewhere that groups the popular strongfirst programs depending on their programming purpose and how one could run some form of block periodization to train for different goals with them? Of course the strongfirst approach is not the only way but since we are here...

Maybe it was this:

It outlines:
Lesson 1: Patterning
Lesson 2: Simple & Sinister
Lesson 3: Rite of Passage (Enter the Kettlebell)
Lesson 4: Double Kettlebells

It outlines:
Lesson 1: Patterning
Lesson 2: Simple & Sinister
Lesson 3: Rite of Passage (Enter the Kettlebell)
Lesson 4: Double Kettlebells

Unless truly specific hypertrophy or absolute strength (with new 1RM at the end of the cycle) needed, I would keep it simple.

I think the short answer is:

No, they're not organized that way.

The StrongFirst kettlebell curriculum is a series of skill and physical capabilities progressions.

The kettlebell taxonomy is not organized as "this is a hypertrophy program", "this is a max strength program", etc, that can be used standalone.

The curriculum is closer to a gymnastic progression.

Last edited:
@watchnerd

[FOUNDATION] S&S (up to Simple) >

[HYPERTROPHY] StrongFirst Kettlebell Course programs (there is one foundational, plus 2 follow up programs) - or ROP >

[ABSOLUTE STRENGTH - "SORT OF 1RM"] PTTP - or Kettlebells and Deadlifts Go Together Like Vodka and Pickles | StrongFirst + follow up Kettlebells and Deadlifts, Part 2 | StrongFirst

> S&S (up to "Solid")

I think we're talking past each other.

As you're pointing out, the Strongfirst programs are part of a progression, starting with GPP (S&S) and moving on from there.

That's not a bad thing, by any means.

Strongfirst's philosophy is more holistic.

As compared to typical 12-week mass building / beach body programs like John Anderson's "Deep Water", Arnold's from "The Modern Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding", or typical PPL / bro-splits, which are (supposedly) designed to be used in an ad hoc fashion.

I think we're talking past each other.

As you're pointing out, the Strongfirst programs are part of a progression, starting with GPP (S&S) and moving on from there.

That's not a bad thing, by any means.

Strongfirst's philosophy is more holistic.

As compared to typical 12-week mass building / beach body programs like John Anderson's "Deep Water", Arnold's from "The Modern Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding", or typical PPL / bro-splits, which are (supposedly) designed to be used in an ad hoc fashion.

My point is - we have quite a 4, 6, 12, more weeks, or long programs. We have GGP programs, Easy Strength programs, absolute strength programs, hypertrophy programs. We have "conditioning"/Strong Endurance programs. We have SPP programs.

My point is - we have quite a 4, 6, 12, more weeks, or long programs. We have GGP programs, Easy Strength programs, absolute strength programs, hypertrophy programs. We have "conditioning"/Strong Endurance programs. We have SPP programs.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, then.

I don't see what I would call a dedicated hypertrophy or bodybuilding program anywhere in the curricula.

That's okay.

The world doesn't need more of those.

Own who you are.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, then.

I don't see what I would call a dedicated hypertrophy or bodybuilding program anywhere in the curricula.

That's okay.

The world doesn't need more of those.

Own who you are.

- S&S - GGP program
- ROP (with shorter rest periods, as mentioned in the book) - strength & hypertrophy program
- Kettlebell Muscle, More Kettlebell Muscle, PTTP! Bear... hypertrophy programs
- Kettlebell STRONG - strength program

...etc. - I can give you a few dozens examples. I have compiled quite an extensive manual of various StrongFirst kettlebell, barbell, and bodyweight programs for instructors of my chain of gyms, hence my comment.

Some students do need a dedicated hypertrophy program - I have many teenage boys as well as older gents who do need them. StrongFirst barbell or kettlebell hypertrophy program is a way better choice than. machines and isolation work.

Our programming principles, outlined in Plan Strong and especially SFL also explain why it is good to alternate strength cycles, hypertrophy cycles, and Easy Strength cycles.

@Anna C @Pavel Macek @watchnerd thank you all for you replies! S&S to simple followed by RoP is my current plan, potentially combined with a few "how to build your slow fibers" blocks sprinkled here and there. Then alternate between some of the strength and hypertrophy programs. If you think that an article similar to "Things are going well ..." that you expand on a few topics is worth writing, I (and I assume others) would definitely read it!

- S&S - GGP program
- ROP (with shorter rest periods, as mentioned in the book) - strength & hypertrophy program
- Kettlebell Muscle, More Kettlebell Muscle, PTTP! Bear... hypertrophy programs
- Kettlebell STRONG - strength program

...etc. - I can give you a few dozens examples. I have compiled quite an extensive manual of various StrongFirst kettlebell, barbell, and bodyweight programs for instructors of my chain of gyms, hence my comment.

Some students do need a dedicated hypertrophy program - I have many teenage boys as well as older gents who do need them. StrongFirst barbell or kettlebell hypertrophy program is a way better choice than. machines and isolation work.

Our programming principles, outlined in Plan Strong and especially SFL also explain why it is good to alternate strength cycles, hypertrophy cycles, and Easy Strength cycles.

That's what I would call holistic programming, hypertrophy in the context of of other strength and fitness goals.

Again -- there is nothing wrong with that.

It's perfectly fine to say that, philosophically, neither getting-big-to-be-swole or focusing primarily on aesthetics (get a Brazilian beach butt, add 2" to your biceps) is what the brand is about.

The swole crowd isn't your target audience.

I dont remember the names, but there are some bodybuilding/hypertrophy programs under "articles" on the Strongfirst website. I recall one specifically by Fabio Zonin.

That's what I would call holistic programming, hypertrophy in the context of of other strength and fitness goals.

Again -- there is nothing wrong with that.

It's perfectly fine to say that, philosophically, neither getting-big-to-be-swole or focusing primarily on aesthetics (get a Brazilian beach butt, add 2" to your biceps) is what the brand is about.

The swole crowd isn't your target audience.

Pavel has a lot of hypertrophy programs... the fatigue cycling program from beyond bodybuilding, the delorme program, the bear program etc... ROTK w/kettlebells is pretty decent to in regards to kettlebells

I think hypertrophy doesn't have to equal bro split muscle mag routines... if you look at a lot of the old school bodybuilding stuff its centered around big barbell lifts etc, not doing arms by themselves...

Best hypertrophy program I've ever ran was the john McCallum 20 rep squat routine, that w/gallons of chocolate milk!

GPP = rotating S&S and PTTP... maybe strength aerobics?

Hypertrophy = more kettlebell muscle, the bear, delorme protocol, ROTK, fatigue cycle from BBB, moving target and total tension complex (off the website)

Strength = Reloaded cycles, ETK ROP, easy strength routines, kettlebell STRONG, SF plan 930 (off the website) and tuba program

Endurance/conditioning = centered around ballistics... A+A swings/snatches, RMF long cycle program from geoff neupert, Q&D, strength aerobics as well (hybrid), the ONE program, EMOM type stuff

I think hypertrophy doesn't have to equal bro split muscle mag routines... if you look at a lot of the old school bodybuilding stuff its centered around big barbell lifts etc, not doing arms by themselves...

Best hypertrophy program I've ever ran was the john McCallum 20 rep squat routine, that w/gallons of chocolate milk!

You're showing your age. ;)

I agree that Steve Reeves-era was compound lift-centric. And, not to derail too much, I think Golden Era V-taper bodybuilders looked, and probably were in actuality, more athletic than modern "X-frame" 300 lb behemoths.

But, amongst the Reddit and Instagram communities, such methods seem to be out of fashion.

You're showing your age. ;)

I agree that Steve Reeves-era was compound lift-centric. And, not to derail too much, I think Golden Era V-taper bodybuilders looked, and probably were in actuality, more athletic than modern "X-frame" 300 lb behemoths.

But, amongst the Reddit and Instagram communities, such methods seem to be out of fashion.

Ronnie Coleman deadlifted 800lbs for reps... is he not popular anymore? I dont follow that type of stuff...

Well, after he's had 13 spinal and hip surgeries, with 2 sets of hip replacements, his approach raises a lot of questions for aesthetic competitors.
I think any time you push hard on the limits of what human bodies are able to do, you run a significant risk. It's a bit like driving your car with gas peddle on the floor all the time alternated with mashing the brake peddle to the floor; things just wear out.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom