all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Best way to increase push-up and pull-up numbers for Navy pst

MaxSum

First Post
I recently watched Pavel on jre saying that the best way to increase muscle stamina in fast twitch fibers is through many sub maximal sets with longish rest. Would this approach be the best for increasing military pst numbers rather than doing sets to failure?

I recently watched Pavel on jre saying that the best way to increase muscle stamina in fast twitch fibers is through many sub maximal sets with longish rest. Would this approach be the best for increasing military pst numbers rather than doing sets to failure?
So I was faced with the army's new ACFT and when I was training for it, the leg tuck was my biggest foe. I could only kinda do one, starting out.

I did single reps on my gymnastic rings 3 to 5 reps, 3 to five days a week. For about 2 months.

Having only trained one rep at a time with relatively complete rest between attempts, on test day I scored six, much to everyone's surprise.

Train fresh.

I think one formula for higher reps is to practice in sets of 50% RM scattered throughout the day.

So if max pushups is 50 train doing sets of 25 throughout the day maybe 4 or 5 sets per day.
3 or 4 days a week.

Retest your max after 6 weeks of that, and adjust your training sets.

I've thought this method detailed by @ShawnM sounded really interesting ever since I read it.

It is only about pushups, but I suppose it could be applied to other exercises too:
The best results I ever got was when using a program of Military/Mountain Athlete. You would do as many push-ups to failure as you could and then rest for a minute. After the minute rest you would do 5 EMOM until you got to 100. Monday and Wednesday, every week for 6-8 weeks. I was never going to get to 100 push-ups in 2 minutes on my test, but I easily got to 67 for a score of outstanding. The butt-ton of reps also added a bit of size to the shoulders and arms.

(Full disclosure: I haven't tried it yet)

I have had good results in using plans from Stew Smith.

I have not seen good results using 1/2 of my rep max for lots of volume.

For pull-ups, I have really enjoyed the Fighter Pull-up Program.

How many pushups and pullups can you do at the moment? What numbers are you aiming for? When is your PFT?

Here is what I do for the Air Force (push-ups and sit-ups):

Training Day 0: test your RM with one set to failure
Training Day 1: do six sets OTM. The first five are 30% of your RM. The sixth is to failure.
Training Day 2: same as TD1, but your first five are TD1 reps +1.
Training Day 3: same as TD2, but your first five are TD2 reps +1.
Training Day 4: same as TD3, but your first five are TD3 reps +1.
Training Day 5: same as TD4, but your first five are TD4 reps +1.

This is a two-week cycle. I typically run two of these cycles in the month leading up to the test and it’s effective. I never max out, but my goal is not to max it. It’s to pass with at least 90 points so I don’t have to retest for a year (anything less than 90 means retesting in six months). The run is the most heavily weighted event for us.

I've thought this method detailed by @ShawnM sounded really interesting ever since I read it.

It is only about pushups, but I suppose it could be applied to other exercises too:

(Full disclosure: I haven't tried it yet)
To be honest this is a program from Mountain Athlete, Military Athlete back in the day. Not my program, something I adopted and still works for me. I don’t post the entire thing because I’m going to infringe on copyright issues. Buy the monthly subscription and you will get a ton of content.

How many pushups and pullups can you do at the moment? What numbers are you aiming for? When is your PFT?
Currently at 18 pull-ups, ~65 push-ups, ~95 sit-ups. Trying to get 25+ pull-ups, 90+ push-ups. I haven’t seen a recruiter because I want to get a contract to go to BUD/S and my scores aren’t good enough for that yet.

Apart from the good advice above, I would recommend this article by Al Ciampa, who has prepared a lot of folks for military tests and deployments.
He basically recommends something like easy running, Simple & Sinister + Power to the People (or Easy Strength), and then do some GTG peaking for your test.

And to answer your questions: Yes, Pavel has recommended this approach numerous times, also for max rep tests. In "Beyond Bodybuilding" there are some interesting sections on max pushup testing. For example, he recommends to do them rhythmically and with a relaxed negative -- and only to use high tension techniques toward the end of the test. (Of course, this makes sense, but is usually not mentionend in StrongFirst because the focus is mostly on heavier low-rep variations.) But given your numbers you will probably know more about that than I do :)

Currently at 18 pull-ups, ~65 push-ups, ~95 sit-ups. Trying to get 25+ pull-ups, 90+ push-ups. I haven’t seen a recruiter because I want to get a contract to go to BUD/S and my scores aren’t good enough for that yet.
I would really check out Stew Smith. His entire gig is prepping people for BUDS.

What’s your swim time? Run time?

@MaxSum

Just to help guide your training… the second column is the minimum and the third column is the competitive. Find what you need to work on and hammer those while putting the rest in “maintenance.”

500-yard swim12:308 minutes
Push-ups5080-100
Sit-ups5080-100
Pull-ups1015-20
1.5-mile timed run10:309-10 minutes

I would really check out Stew Smith. His entire gig is prepping people for BUDS.

What’s your swim time? Run time?
I am familiar with him and am currently doing the 50/50 swim workout he recommends 5-6 times a week. I haven’t tested my run or swim recently but I assume they are both around 10:00-10:30.

Back
Top Bottom