all posts post new thread

Kettlebell BFR Kettlebell Work

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
A viking push press is the same as a push press except on the 1st rep you snatch the weight. For example, if doing a set of 5...

1st you snatch the bell above your head. Then lower the bell to the rack position and do 5 push presses.

So if you're doing like 30 reps, it would seem like a fairly miniscule distinction.

Or am I missing something?

A viking push press is the same as a push press except on the 1st rep you snatch the weight. For example, if doing a set of 5...

1st you snatch the bell above your head. Then lower the bell to the rack position and do 5 push presses.

She seems to just be doing fast light reps of push presses......

So if you're doing like 30 reps, it would seem like a fairly miniscule distinction.

Or am I missing something?
It's a little different from a push press in that you don't catch, reset/pause, and then dip. The catch is the dip for the next rep.

Yep, the presses are chained together - no pause at the rack between reps, just dip the knees with the momentum of the descending weight and explode back up again. It has a nice springy rhythm and keeps the cadence regular.

I'd never heard of Viking push press.

I'm still not sure I quite get it.

Which kinds of bands are you using?

Just cheap ones - they're branded Bear Grip but identical ones are available on Amazon with numerous different brands. They're thick elastic with a metal d-ring and velcro fastening. They seemed easier and more comfortable looking than the other cheap options. By the way I've had no issues with them moving around or loosening yet.

1596909706969.png

Just cheap ones - they're branded Bear Grip but identical ones are available on Amazon with numerous different brands. They're thick elastic with a metal d-ring and velcro fastening. They seemed easier and more comfortable looking than the other cheap options. By the way I've had no issues with them moving around or loosening yet.

View attachment 11086

Those are similar to what I started with.

I upgraded to the pneumatic kind, which I like due to the ability to be ability to pressurize precisely within a target zone.

Update:

I've been using 20 kg swings as a warm up before barbell snatches.

Yesterday, as it was a light barbell day, I decided to try using the pneumatic B Strong bands on my legs (310 mHg of pressure) during KB swings.

The results were much more effective than using the cheapie BFR bands.

Protocol: 1 handed swings, 10x10@20kg, 30 seconds rest between sets. Alternated hands between sets.

Cardiovascularly, I was easily passing the talk test, no heavy breathing or gasping for air, until sets 9 and 10.

At first, I didn't feel anything special in my legs, but by sets 7-10, my hamstrings were feeling the burn and my glutes started getting fatigued by sets 9 and 10, probably because the were taking over more from the hammies.

Today, I have the weird "BFR DOMS" in my legs, including calves.

I haven't had leg DOMS from swings in ages.

Interestingly, my quads were pretty spared, which is to be expected, I guess, given how little KB swings use quads. Bodyweight split squats, hitting the quads, are much more torturous with the BFR bands than KB swings.

I'll try again.

I may need to go heavier.

Today my hammies and glutes are all swole.

Any update on the use of these BFR bands? Do you still use them, or have they been sent to the scrap pile?

Any update on the use of these BFR bands? Do you still use them, or have they been sent to the scrap pile?

Elastic kind went in the garbage once I upgrade to pneumatic bands. I use B-Strong now and very happy.

I use them pretty heavily every 5 weeks during de-load weeks and occasionally on variety days during a typical training block.

But I've found BFR bands to be sub-optimal with ballistic work, whether kettlebells, clubs, or maces.

They work best with grinds and bodyweight.

Elastic kind went in the garbage once I upgrade to pneumatic bands. I use B-Strong now and very happy.

I use them pretty heavily every 5 weeks during de-load weeks and occasionally on variety days during a typical training block.

But I've found BFR bands to be sub-optimal with ballistic work, whether kettlebells, clubs, or maces.

They work best with grinds and bodyweight.
Good to know. I ask because I have some of the cheaper kind, but they’re a little better quality than the super cheap ones so they do NOT slip, but I haven’t really used them in a couple years. I had to have a little surgery so I’ll be trying to ease back in this week, and I feel like this is a perfect time to pull them out and do some super light weight/high rep stuff for a week or two.

If memory serves, a lot of the research (and anecdotes) concerns using BFR bands for post-op recovery and it has a very good rep.

I still use them occasionally - just the quite cheap ones here. I'd be interested to know how you like using them in deload weeks @watchnerd - same weight for fewer reps, lighter weight, or totally different exercises?

I plan to try using them for the routine described in the 'slow fibre hypertrophy' programme described on the blog (single reps to failure made of repeated movement in the middle 1/3 of an exercise, with 5+ mins rest). This is my main rest day thing at present, with diamond pushups and wrist curls. Feels like the bands could add something perhaps.

If memory serves, a lot of the research (and anecdotes) concerns using BFR bands for post-op recovery and it has a very good rep.

I still use them occasionally - just the quite cheap ones here. I'd be interested to know how you like using them in deload weeks @watchnerd - same weight for fewer reps, lighter weight, or totally different exercises?

I plan to try using them for the routine described in the 'slow fibre hypertrophy' programme described on the blog (single reps to failure made of repeated movement in the middle 1/3 of an exercise, with 5+ mins rest). This is my main rest day thing at present, with diamond pushups and wrist curls. Feels like the bands could add something perhaps.

Totally different exercises.

e.g. body weight split squat with BFR bands on legs

I bought a set of BFR cuffs over a year ago. After fiddling around trying to find the best kettlebell movements to really target the muscles involved I finally decided that power bands worked best for the arms. Curls and tricep press downs. Simple.
Legs were a dfferent animal...I finally found that hooking a kb over the toes and doing extensions worked pretty well.
But....these "isolation" exercises were contrary to everything I believe in, were time consuming and really didnt pay off any long term benefits.
The pump was fun to see, but there were no noticeable strength gains.

Good to know. I ask because I have some of the cheaper kind, but they’re a little better quality than the super cheap ones so they do NOT slip, but I haven’t really used them in a couple years. I had to have a little surgery so I’ll be trying to ease back in this week, and I feel like this is a perfect time to pull them out and do some super light weight/high rep stuff for a week or two.
This morning I put the BFR bands on my legs and knocked out:

Deep Air Squats - 30-15-15-15 with 30 seconds between sets.
Split Squats - 30-15-15 with 30 seconds between sets.
Waiter walks (kept it to 16kg as I'm really not supposed to go above 15 pounds, but these felt pretty useless after a minute each arm).

Then I took off the bands and did about 15 minutes of OS resets and foam rolling.

One thing I noticed, and I don't know if this is because of the bands or the fact that I haven't done any exercise in a week, but I could not control my breathing when I was finished. My heart rate came down, but I still had trouble getting good breath. I tried doing some hangs, but I just couldn't do it. And my legs were super wobbly, even though I didn't use weights and I only did about 15-20 minutes of body weight squats.

This morning I put the BFR bands on my legs and knocked out:

Deep Air Squats - 30-15-15-15 with 30 seconds between sets.
Split Squats - 30-15-15 with 30 seconds between sets.
Waiter walks (kept it to 16kg as I'm really not supposed to go above 15 pounds, but these felt pretty useless after a minute each arm).

Then I took off the bands and did about 15 minutes of OS resets and foam rolling.

One thing I noticed, and I don't know if this is because of the bands or the fact that I haven't done any exercise in a week, but I could not control my breathing when I was finished. My heart rate came down, but I still had trouble getting good breath. I tried doing some hangs, but I just couldn't do it. And my legs were super wobbly, even though I didn't use weights and I only did about 15-20 minutes of body weight squats.

I had the heart rate and breathing happen the first 1-2 times I did BFR leg training.

Doesn't happen now, and I'm using tighter bands.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom