all posts post new thread

Old Forum BJJ, strength training, S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ja_king

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello All,

New here to the strongfirst forums and kettlebell lifting. I am trying to figure out how to balance BJJ 3-4 times a week along with strength training and every day life...  I've recently got into kettlebells  and have been doing S&S for the past month and a half or so but I feel like I need more of a straight strength plan.... Especially in the squat pattern.   Before  I was doing 531  and gslp type routines  and since departing from those programs I've felt my strength  go way down.... Although my goals right now include fat loss and conditioning I feel as though I need to work on strength also.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to balance this? Maybe adding a heavy double kettlebell routine twice a week? Thanks for any suggestions

james, here is a very simple program I've used in the past

http://mmafightprep.com/six-week-simple-strength-program-mma-fighters/

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. The only issues I'm facing is with doing BJJ 4 times a week and my normal work schedule I would only be able to make it to the gym to lift twice a week and to be honest I'm trying to avoid the gym at all cost at this point lol.  I'm willing to invest more into a few more kettlebells but I don't really have space for a barbell rack/bar at home.

James, I train SW (so "allmost bjj") 5-6 days a week.
I lift weights in the gym 2 times each week (deadlifts, Extreme Powerbuilding: The Hepburn Method) for a total of 20-30 minutes each session.
Alongside this I kettlebell presses during the day (or after work) 2-3x a week.

I would do S&S if I had different living-conditions (apartment is 14m2). S&S is the best "minimal" program IMHO.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

top priority: BJJ, secondly getting stronger for BJJ, third fat loss.   I was  just hoping to do this  with a solid kettlebell  program. and avoid going to the gym.  But I suppose  back to the barbell is the way to go.

IMHO if you can hit the "simple" standard, your grip will improve.. anyone who does any grappling art knows the value of a strong grip.

The getup will improve your shoulder integrity along with mentally teaching you to be patient, a trait needed when setting up techniques in BJJ

get the mat time in, work your technique and eat smarter, your goals will get covered

My humble 2 cents

While this doesn't offer any "do this" type advice, this article might provide some useful insights to consider:

http://industrialstrengthgym.com/2014/09/28/grip-training-for-jiu-jitsu/

Tony's article is great, as is S&S. Barbells are nice, but you certainly don't need one if your main goal is BJJ.

Hey James.  I am a bjj purple belt and active competitor (feather weight).  Sport specific is always the way to go.  WE get better at bjj by mat time first and always.  Remember also that bjj IS resistance training.

S/S is great for us. Get ups open us up and the swings...well swings are swings !

Thanks for all the replies. I suppose I will keep going on S&S for now.  And add a couple of days a week of heavy front squats and pull ups. Ive always had an issue with my knees dislocating And since I quit heavy squatting it's become more frequent. I am starting to fall in love TGU's though. So I think i'm going to start S&S 3 days week before BJJ Along with front squats and chins and farmers carries 2 days a week.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom