all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bottom's up press progressions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
I am working on my BU press with a KB that is too light for my regular press, so I leave it in my office. As I mentioned, in a previous post, I have a major imbalance between right and left hand. However, it is definitely getting better after only a week.

I can do a full slow, controlled rep with my right hand, but a second rep is too difficult. However, if I rest about 20 seconds or so I can do another rep. Should I press up and do an isometric hold for time or do as many singles as I can and then an isometric hold to finish for a progression. Or should I concentrate on a hold in the top position for time instead while waiting for my left hand to catch up. I am going them as breaks at work, so I do each hand separately for a single rep only one or two times a day.

Of course, I will benefit from both, but I am wondering about holds vs singles for the next step. I know that the hold is often recommended as a pushup progression when one rep is difficult.

I am also doing simple hangs and an L-sit position weekdaily and loaded carries twice a week after martial arts class. I am focusing on grip and core this month and am taking a rest from regular pressing this month.

I read in one of Pavel's books that the best way to improve any lift was by strengthening the core and grip. I would definitely recommend this, especially for those who are feeling a bit rundown from their regular routine and would benefit from a week or two of deloading and a different focus, especially after a ROP or an S&S plateau. I can see greater hand strength and core in my pushups even, which seems to have given me two more reps since last week. Low volume, but daily works well for isometrics it seems.

I highly recommend you work on your clean and rack hold in the b/u position. If you can work up to 10 cleans with a solid 1-2 second hold, and/or you can work up to holding the b/u rack position for time, I predict your press will also improve.

-S-

I highly recommend you work on your clean and rack hold in the b/u position. If you can work up to 10 cleans with a solid 1-2 second hold, and/or you can work up to holding the b/u rack position for time, I predict your press will also improve.

-S-

Thank you. I will try that tomorrow. It seems feasible with the weight I have and can be done in my work clothes. I hadn't heard of it before.

-S-

I tried the BU clean, but it was too difficult and my left hand is no where near ready with the bell I have to use in my office. However, the rack hold hits the spot because it helps to practice the rack position and shoulder stability while focusing on my grip improvement main goal. I will do that rather than trying to press for now. Thanks.

-S-

You were right of course! There must be a very high neurological component to the BU press. Just a week or so of left hand BU rack holds and just a few regular KB waiter walks did the trick. Got my first left-handed BU press rep today. Not a big achievement given the light weight, but I was really astounded by the imbalance.

If for one arm is lagging, another option would be to BU press in the strong arm and do a waiters press in the weak. The waiters requires more stability than the standard press but not so much as the BU. A good intermediate until you can balance it out

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom