all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bottoms Up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Maine-ah KB

Level 7 Valued Member
So i've recently did some bottoms up presses on wimb. guess what it made my standard press feel more natural. my past opinion was that the Bottoms up press was primarily a Grip exercise and kinda gimicky. is it a valide way to train the overhead press? should i be using this as a warm up for pressing? What are your thoughts on Bottoms Up?
Thanks

Stuart McGill recommends highly of bottom up carries for stability.

Bottom up press, getup, squat are part of SFG level 2 program.

At one point bottom up press was highly recommended amongst Senior and Master instructors. I believe it is still a valid training method for overhead press.

Ironically, when the bell is in perfect balance in the palm, the grip may be loosened.

It's most definitely a valid way to train the press! The difference is in the longer distance to the bell's center of gravity - encouraging an optimal pressing groove.

Yes, it helps you find the best groove for the press, enforces staying tight and steady, and it's great for shoulder stability. The abs have to work hard and be really tight, the lats have to provide the platform, and the lower half of the body has to be rock-solid. These are all necessary for a good press, but people forget them when they treat the press as primarily a shoulder exercise (which it's not). The bottom-up press will make you get it right.

Usually if I'm going to do something like 5 x 5 R/L with 16kg for a press session, I'll do maybe 2 x 3 bottom-up presses with 12kg as a warm-up.

from time to time I like to go bup. They are challenging , a bit for grip, for stability and equilibrium. They require focus. I use(d) it in almost any kb move. A really great move is just the clean, the instant transition from dynamic moving object and body to tight body and static bell. One can work up to a really heavy bell with some practice. an important aspect is to be not afraid, to let the bell go when it is uncontrollable.

a whole new level is double bup work. then two eyes have to fix two bells instead of one.

As for the press, I worked up to a "not owning" bu press that was very near to my "own" one arm max. But all in all, bup work is more a spice than a main dish. The bup groove on the press can be slightly different to the standard press, especially the lockout, as you usually have to look up to the bell in order to stabilize it better, the bell and hand is more in front of the body, whereas on the standard press the hand is over the hips and shoulders, and the bell is a bit behind.

When you want to build up your press, press a lot traditionally, and may work to get your bup close to that.

A few reps for warm up would be good option, sparks focus and CNS, automatic recruitment of all the muscles . To enhance this skill rapidly, GTG works really great.

Max Shank has even argued that you should bottom up press 90 percent of your regular press 1RM to improve shoulder health. Would be definitely quite impressive.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom