all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Building power without weights

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

movestrength

Level 4 Valued Member
Vertical jumps can generate up to 7,000 watts of power which is a higher wattage than the OLY lifts.

Can you build power alone with vertical jumping and plyometric push ups? If so, how many sets and reps to build power with these exercises?

Thank you.

Hello,

You can use resistance bands to do jump squats and plyo push ups. If you have a fixed point, you can do pull through instead of swings.

As far as reps and sets go, I wouldn't do more than 5-10 reps, using EMOM.

I do not think there is a magic number. As soon as you slow down, then call it a day. When I do hill sprints for example (up to 15s) I rest up to 2 minutes. Here this is not about some sort of conditioning.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Can you build power alone with vertical jumping and plyometric push ups? If so, how many sets and reps to build power with these exercises?
If you want to get good at jumping and pushing, yes :) Do you have any specific goals other than "power?"

I would second what @pet' said, except I would push the rest times to 3 minutes or more. Basically short bursts of really high power (10 seconds) with as much rest as you need to repeat. Power is best preformed using the phosphagen system, but it burns out and switches over within 10-15 seconds.

Resistance bands are great for power development.

What kind of power exactly?

Number only meaningful if it's in the right context/we figure out how to explain it.

For example, Mr. Kenny Kroc (I hope that I type the right name) had put many comments on this forum about Heavy kettlebell swing/banded swing as a replacement for O-lift in terms of power exercise.

But O-lifts also build upper back strength and a part of its power production comes from the upper back (I'm not sure - feel free to correctly if I'm wrong). In the kettlebell swing mainly power comes from the hips.

So if someone who's looking for full-body power exercise then clean/high pull maybe better than swing. And someone who's looking for a lower body power exercise might find jump squat and kettlebell swing are more suitable than heavy barbell clean.

Back to your question, I don't disagree with the idea of using plometric/bodyweight exercise; but I believe that you can do much better than that with the help from weight. Unless your goal is to join a competition in which the winner is the one who generates the most watts in a certain time frame, stop caring about the number (7000w). It's might sound harsh, English is not my mother language but I truly mean it (as someone who works in the data industry where untamed data are everywhere)

I spent some time reading studies on vertical jump at one point.

The details differed but the pattern seemed to be that jumping/plyometrics/ballistics alone resulted in vertical jump improvements but the best results generally came from including both some kind of strength training with some kind of ballistic training.

For what that's worth.

yeah... I guess it comes down to what kind of power we are talking about here.
Power for what?

What do you think? Keep in mind he’s 6’3” and a little over 200 lbs.

I suspect he must have done some bodybuilding to build that physique and I am very skeptical if he claims he built his physique with vertical jumping.

I am 6'1 and 215lbs which is somewhat heavier but I have a friend who is 245lbs at 6'4 and he can jump very high due to his background in athletics when he was younger.

@LvlUpStr I don't know the specifics of Roye's background, but he has trained under Ido Portal as long as I can think of. I'm not 100% sure, but I think a lot of what he has he built was through bodyweight. Ido does not necessarily shun weights, as well (though his thoughts on things definitely seem to shift over time). You will see his trainees doing deadlifts and front squats and split squats and whatnot, as well as some weights for the upper body. Roye also has crazy proportions (VERY wide shoulders) that contribute to his aesthetic appearance.

I suspect he must have done some bodybuilding to build that physique and I am very skeptical if he claims he built his physique with vertical jumping.

I am 6'1 and 215lbs which is somewhat heavier but I have a friend who is 245lbs at 6'4 and he can jump very high due to his background in athletics when he was younger.
This is how much they charge for online training with Roye and his team, whew doggy :
  1. One month: 450$
  2. Movement student: 1,200$ 3 months subscription.

This is how much they charge for online training with Roye and his team, whew doggy :
  1. One month: 450$
  2. Movement student: 1,200$ 3 months subscription.
not derail the topic. . . . but as much as I like the free material I've seen from the "Ido school..." some of their pricing is absurd. I'm sure some of those prices reflect the fact that Roye is one of Ido's "top students" and his personal services are likely in high demand with the popularity of what they do. Still though . . .

If I ever decide to pursue it I'll just go to one of Ido's affiliate schools nearby (Denver/Boulder area) someday.

Back to the topic of power training I suppose.

He follows the Ido Portal method. Which basically is a gruelling bodyweight training for several hours a day.

He follows the Ido Portal method. Which basically is a gruelling bodyweight training for several hours a day.
As bluejeff mentioned above, they also do compounds and they have must their nutrition and recovery to a science otherwise cortisol and myostarin levels would be at that of an endurance athlete.

Hello,

A bit off the topic, but I think that reaching I. Portal's or R. Goldschmidt's proficiency is a lifetime undeavour. Beyond reaching that level, there is the maintenance topic that has to be addressed as well. The younger your start, or at least with the best base possible, the fastest you can progress.

IMHO, I think these guys can be inspirational but their abilities can be out of reach for most folk, who would not have patience, time or natural abilities.

Scott Sonnon also uses "flows", but in a more accessible way (easier to perform, easier to maintain).

As far as the OP, yes this is possible:
- slow eccentric fast concentric
- isometrics + plyo (with ample rest)

Then comes the technique, the drill. The sprint can be an example. The dynamics of this drill is complex. The better you get at it, the more power you will generate because you waste energy

Kind regards,

Pet'

As bluejeff mentioned above, they also do compounds and they have must their nutrition and recovery to a science otherwise cortisol and myostarin levels would be at that of an endurance athlete.

As far as I know, while Ido certainly likes barbell training for his lower body (the scapula craves complexity, the hips crave intensity used to be his motto), I’ve never, ever seen Roye training with anything but his own bodyweight.

And, yes, he is a genetically gifted mutant who probably trains three, four hours a day. Before he started to train with Ido, he was a professional swimmer.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom