all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong Built Strong greater than 16 sets for one session?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Erik W

Level 6 Valued Member
Another question: Is it okay to go over 16 sets for a given lift in a session? I'm upping the volume this month, and I need more than 16 sets to get to the NL for one session. We never went over this number of sets in the seminar, and the worksheets stop at that number, too.

Thanks

Yeah, I went ahead with it, too; entirely doable. I played with some numbers, and it seems like there are a lot of permutations that would require more sets than the worksheet shows. I'm not too worried about it. I think I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some "magic" to that detail, or that it wasn't an intentional constraint.

@Erik W, in general, volume is the key determinant, and as long as the rep ranges used are in keeping with the guidelines, then how you break it up into sets shouldn't be an important variable, IMO.

-S-

Another question: Is it okay to go over 16 sets for a given lift in a session? I'm upping the volume this month, and I need more than 16 sets to get to the NL for one session. We never went over this number of sets in the seminar, and the worksheets stop at that number, too.

I recently had a day programmed with 19 sets. I survived if that’s any indication of anything.

Yes, it may happen, but 16-19 sets are many.

Would you share the full details of the plan so that I can make an assessment?

Fabio,

Here is what I had programmed that led to a 19 set day.

Attachments

• FA1E26CB-F4CE-4E6F-8955-5C596DF3B638.jpeg
    FA1E26CB-F4CE-4E6F-8955-5C596DF3B638.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 19
  • B655883A-68CB-49FC-BEDA-8255D11E8A08.jpeg
    B655883A-68CB-49FC-BEDA-8255D11E8A08.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 19
Yes, it may happen, but 16-19 sets are many.

Would you share the full details of the plan so that I can make an assessment?

Hi Fabio,

Here is an example of mine. Notably, I went to 500 NL in this month. I wanted to focus on strength in preparation for a Competition Mesocycle, so I planned most of the lifts in the medium range.

I made this spreadsheet for myself, so please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Attachments

• BTS Macrocycle 1 2020-08-23 - Meso 3 KB DMP.pdf
    65.6 KB · Views: 8
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom