all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Can you go wrong with The 6 human movements

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Maine-ah KB

Level 7 Valued Member
specifically dan johns definition: push, pull, hing, squat, loaded carry, everything else.
When ever I don't know what to do resently I follow these movement patterns, and try and chose intelligent varieties of each. It's been working great for me and I really enjoy my training! The template I personally use is: warm up with everything else (crawles, plank to reverse plank, naked get ups, etc) push pull hing squat as strength movements. Finish off with loaded carries.
Who has experience with this kind of training? What were your results? Or just generally discuss.

I think there is a lot of wisdom to Dan Johns quadrants also. I find that for general fitness it is important to have a lot of variety. In addition to the movements themselves, I find it important to train multiple attributes of the movements too (i.e., strength, power, endurance, etc.) Without the variety, moving into something specific that is different from your general training can create an environment for injury or poor specific adaptation in my experiences.

@Bro Mo the quadrants are kinda brilliant. I haven't really thought about the other attributes (power, strength, endurance) done in each movement pattern. I think it's a wonderful point! I tend to get my power work from hing (swings) strength from squat, pull, press. Endurance from loaded carries. I haven't really considered deviation from that but you've got my brain working! :) Thanks!

I learned a lot from the Maxwell "Five Pillars" when it comes to building a routine.

1) Push
-horiz
-vert

2) Pull
-horiz
-vert

3) Level Change
-thigh dominant
-hip dominant

4) Rotation
-fixed foot
-whole body

5) Locomotion

Hello,

To a certain extent, I think that this philosophy of training implies to vary a lot the moves. I believe that the more the body learns, the more it is able to learn. It stimulates the muscles and joints differently on a regular basis.

I try to use these principles with pretty good results. I really feel stronger "from everywhere", meaning I am more balanced (pull, push, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

To a certain extent, I think that this philosophy of training implies to vary a lot the moves. I believe that the more the body learns, the more it is able to learn. It stimulates the muscles and joints differently on a regular basis.

I try to use these principles with pretty good results. I really feel stronger "from everywhere", meaning I am more balanced (pull, push, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Absolutely! I appraise not individual movements but routines based on these principles. Basic schematics.

Our bodies are made to handle a great variety of movements, so we can choose to do the ones we like for the most part. I've happened to develop a fondness for barbell curls recently even though they are useless for judo - they are good for some kind of baseline strength in the upper body, biceps, shoulders, back - fairly minimal strength, but something all the same, and they're very easy to do and fun. The kettlebell presses are also fun, feel good, easy to do, although I figure they develop more strength than curls. The concept of doing a big push and a big pull at the least in your exercise routine is an even simpler concept than the 6 big movements, if not as complete perhaps.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom