all posts post new thread

Carry-over effect from swings to snatch ?

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi,

I am working on achieving the snatch test with 24 kilo. I am now currently able to do 24 kilo snatch 100 reps in 6 minutes. My goal is however to achieve the goal with a relative good margin and with good technique ( I'm not at the moment aspiring to become a classified instructor, so it is purely for my sense of mastery that I want to achieve this goal).

I was just wondering if people have had success improving their snatch numbers by doing swings ? Do people have other suggestions on how to achieve this goal ?

Another goal that would be nice to achieve would be to be able train regularly with a 28 kilo kettlebell.

I dont have access to a barbell for the time being, so I will solely have to rely on kettlebells and bodyweight to achieve my goals.

Anders

I was just wondering if people have had success improving their snatch numbers by doing swings ? Do people have other suggestions on how to achieve this goal ?
By all accounts, yes, "people" have had success using swings as a big part of their snatch test prep. However, I am not one of those people, and have had much better success focusing on snatches. Another thing that is often recommended but didn't do much for me was density-based plans. I have gotten a lot out of plans that stretch out the set length on each hand, and plans that incorporate heavier bells.

I am a big advocate of training and building volume with a size up from your test bell. For me, it makes the test size bell just feel a lot easier and more comfortable, physically and mentally. I also like double cleans with a size up from the test bell for overloading the ballistic hinge compared to a single snatch or swing, in a way that is closer to the groove of the snatch but easier on the hands.

When preparing for the snatch test, in my experience practicing the test regularly is extremely valuable. I've heard it said that you shouldn't prepare for the test by practicing the test, but to me that should not be interpreted as meaning you shouldn't practice the test at all or even that you shouldn't practice it regularly. I don't think there's really any downside. It might be a hard effort, but it's limited in duration and shouldn't take that much out of you. In the total tension complex program, Pavel includes a 5 minute snatch test as a finisher after the clean-press-squat-row complexes.

A practice test gives you a clear picture of where you stand and what your limiting factors are (usually some combination of grip, lungs, and hips), it gives you a feel for pacing, and it gets you accustomed to accepting the discomfort and working through it. It's huge for building confidence and familiarity, so you don't have any anxiety or uncertainty adding to the physical stress of the test.

My goal for the test is to be able to comfortably do 20/20/15/15/10/10/10, without putting the bell down, and finish in about 4 minutes, just when it starts to get uncomfortable. I like this rep scheme because it's psychologically comfortable for me. It's all downhill, after 3 hand switches I've got 70 reps in the bank, and I can start AND finish on my strong hand (meaning "stronger" hand if you go by that terminology). Being able to stretch out the length of those first sets and having a reserve of grip strength and endurance to do that just seems to make the whole effort easier and more efficient, and gives a sense of comfort and confidence.

I've seen some guys stop and start multiple times while successfully completing the test, but that's definitely not for me. For me, parking the bell for a short rest and then starting again from a dead stop is more physically and psychologically difficult than working continuously. You don't get any bonus points for finishing faster, but I just never want any anxiety about running out of time. So that lends itself to working quickly and continuously, rather than taking any breaks to put the bell down. It also gets the suffering over with sooner.

So I want to stretch out the length of sets I can do continuously on each hand and build a reserve of strength so I can attack the test aggressively and not have to pace my way through it too much or have to struggle to the finish line.

Here's a combination of plans that I've used successfully in the past for my certifications, neither of which I've ever heard of anyone else using. The first is based on an article by Ken Froese that was based on a plan by Randy Hauer, and focuses on grip endurance and stretching out the set length on each hand.
My take on the plan is to incorporate a 28kg bell in addition to a 24kg bell. I find that the 28 gives me enough overload to make the 24 feel easy, but I can still do a reasonable amount of volume with it. Here's the plan:

Test the maximum number of repetitions you can do with your weaker hand with both the 28kg and the 24kg. Do both tests relatively fresh. Make it a slightly uncomfortable max, but not all out to where you are compromising technique to hold onto the bell. Now calculate 120% of each number. That is the number of snatches you will do in each session with each arm, with each bell, but you will break that number up into two sets for each arm for each bell, using a different split each session. There are three sessions per week. The first is a 70%/50% split, the second day is 60%/60%, and the third day is 80%/40%.

Each day follows the same format, but with different percentages. Start with 28kg. Do both sets with the same arm with 1 minute rest in between, then train the other arm. Then switch bells without resting and do the same thing with 24kg. Here's what the 70/50 session would look like:

28kg: 70%L/Rest 1 min/50%L/70%R/Rest 1 min/50%R
24kg: 70%L/Rest 1 min/50%L/70%R/Rest 1 min/50%R

Adjustments:
--You can reset maxes once a month, or when the current level starts feeling comfortable.
--At the beginning, if you need a minute rest when switching bells, that's okay.
--If you have trouble completing the sessions at the beginning, scale down your maxes so you can get all your reps.
--The original plan was only one run through per session with just 24kg, supplemented by swings for more conditioning volume, but doing the 28kg first, takes care of some of that. When I prepped for my last certification test (RKC, when Pavel was there), I did a lot of heavy swings with a combination of grips, at least one very high volume session each week (400-800 swings, but mostly 500-600). If I were doing it today, I would do less swings (enough for technique practice) and more double cleans in A+A style (which was not yet a thing I was aware of when I was doing this plan). Double cleans overload the ballistic hinge, but aren't as hard on your grip recovery since the weight is split between hands, and the bell path is more similar to the snatch than the swing is. Snatches fly up when you are doing a high volume of double cleans with the same size bells or heavier.

One other thing I threw in the mix every once in a while was snatch time ladders. For each work set, keep the bell in the air the whole time. "Rest" in the lockout. Don't worry about cadence, don't worry about counting reps, and switch hands as often as you need to, just keep the bell off the ground for the allotted time. Snatch 1 minute/rest 1 minute/snatch 2 minutes/rest 1 minute/snatch 3 minutes/rest 1 minute/snatch 4 minutes. I never went above 4 minutes, but that was bad enough after the previous sets. I used this progression to build up to a 1-4 snatch time ladder, moving up when I could increase the cadence at each level and was confident I could keep the bell in the air for the full time at the next level:
1,1,1,1,1 (if necessary, you can build up to five sets or start with longer rest intervals)
1, 2,1,1
1,2, 2,1

With regard to Q&D as snatch test prep, I haven't used it for that purpose, but I've done an awful lot of Q&D snatching. I think Q&D can work for test prep, especially as base building, if you work up to heavier than test-sized bells, and extend the set lengths. Rep schemes down to 5/2 with a heavier bell, and up to 15/2 are discussed in the Q&D book. I've worked up to 28kg x 15/2 x 4 series, and 32kg x 10/2 x 6 series, and I would be pretty confident that would put me in good shape for 24kg x 100 x 5 minutes. But I haven't actually tested it.

A few other things to consider:
1. An ounce of mobility can be worth a pound of strength and/or conditioning. A solid overhead position, where you can support the bell with your structure and alignment, rather than muscle power, makes a big difference in continuous snatching because you can "rest" as you fixate each rep. If you have to fight keep the bell in the lockout with muscle power, you fatigue a lot faster and you can't really slow your cadence because you will burn yourself out holding the bell overhead. So it becomes a pick your poison dilemma: burn out your lungs and/or grip and/or hips by going faster, or burn out your deltoids and triceps holding up the bell. It's not necessarily a huge deal in a five minute test, but if you ever want to try for the 200 in ten minutes test, it becomes much bigger.

2. I believe a strong aerobic base will greatly facilitate this training, form both a performance standpoint and a recovery standpoint.

3. It may be wise to back off from peaking for the test as an immediate goal, and work on building a base of snatching strength and technique. If snatching 28 or 32kg is a struggle now, working up to making it more comfortable will have a lot of carryover to any peaking plan for the test with 24kg. And doing lots of reps over time will help a lot with technique efficiency that will also carry over to the test. BTW, although the "deep grip" seems to have gained popularity recently for hardstyle snatching, I find it counterproductive for longer sets and continuous snatching. It can be more secure for heavy bells and lover reps, but leads to more and quicker forearm pump and fatigue. I find a hook grip allows me to remain more relaxed, but it does require a higher baseline of snatch-specific grip strength. If you feel like you're pretty close to nailing the test right now, then a peaking plan would be more appropriate.

When I was first learning to snatch, my coach had me do 2 days of one arm swings with 32 kg. That seemed to get some good conditioning in. Two hand swings seemed to help the most with hip power similar to the snatch. This year I took a different approach and have been snatching with 28kg for the majority of my snatch training. It doesn't make the snatch test any easier, but I can pull out 80 in under five minutes without really pushing too hard to achieve it with 24. I know if I can get 80-90 in training, on test day I can do 100 so that's good enough for me. Increasing pressing strength helps and doing a couple get up isn't a bad idea for a warm up just to get those different angles that aren't really worked in the snatch. My goal for the last official snatch test I did was to be able to swing a 32 100 in five minutes and that seemed to give me some decent conditioning for passing the snatch test. I'm not really a big fan of one hand swinging above 32 as it just doesn't seem to be worth it to me but I'm sure it has its own merits.

Q&D with 28kg 2-3x per week with a custom strength plan from Plan Strong is the core of my training right now. Pressing 3x per week. Then just having a few practice sessions of other lifts. The pressing is quite a bit of pressing with Plan Strong but I really like their plans. It has me pressing 28-44kg so it's not a weight loss program but since starting Q&D 044 this year, I have lost a couple pant sizes. My 34's were feeling tight before I started and now I'm sure I could fit 32's. Not sure I have really lost any weight, I don't weigh myself often but I'm sure I'm still around 95kg

Last edited:
I second some of the responses advocating working with a bell size up from the Snatch test size bell.
When I did the test last year (passed), I only focused on density work.
I passed, but only just and it was tougher than it needed to be.
I've recently run snatches at 28kg starting at 5rpm for 10 minutes. Then slowly adding time over the weeks (12,14,16,18,20) working up to 20 Minutes, giving 100 snatch.

I then tested my snatch with the 24 and was able to comfortably complete the snatch test in 3:45.

That worked for me in improving my snatch volume and density, and it might work for you (only one way to find out!), but I know others have had success focusing more on their heavy swings to drive their snatch results up.

Different strokes...

Girevoy sport athletes do a lot of swings to supplement their snatch training. My simple and short suggestion would be to supplement your training volume w. swings before/after/between your snatch work.

Been doing S&S since 2015. I still want the SF certification someday. A few years ago a I started working towards the snatch test. Being used to doing S&S with the 32kg bell (and TGUs with the 40kg a lot of the time) I think you can find some videos of me basically flinging the 24kg bell in bad snatch form like it was a toy, but haha, that can only go on for so long. My form was bad and I couldn't get to the snatch test standard. I really have no interest in kettlebell snatches for exercise. They are annoying for the hand skin, and do not add any appreciable strength that I can tell over swings. In fact, I can swing heavier than I can snatch. Clean and press is a super good exercise that I do a lot, the military press is too without the cleans, TGUs, swings. I don't know what I would get out of snatches. Some members here suggested that if my swing form were better I would more easily achieve the snatch test. In any case, with a little imperfect form I am keeping myself super strong... My advice - master the swing movement perfectly, then learn the exact tricks to the snatch. Then it would seem focussing primarily on the snatch would be needed.

Been doing S&S since 2015. I still want the SF certification someday. A few years ago a I started working towards the snatch test. Being used to doing S&S with the 32kg bell (and TGUs with the 40kg a lot of the time) I think you can find some videos of me basically flinging the 24kg bell in bad snatch form like it was a toy, but haha, that can only go on for so long. My form was bad and I couldn't get to the snatch test standard. I really have no interest in kettlebell snatches for exercise. They are annoying for the hand skin, and do not add any appreciable strength that I can tell over swings. In fact, I can swing heavier than I can snatch. Clean and press is a super good exercise that I do a lot, the military press is too without the cleans, TGUs, swings. I don't know what I would get out of snatches. Some members here suggested that if my swing form were better I would more easily achieve the snatch test. In any case, with a little imperfect form I am keeping myself super strong... My advice - master the swing movement perfectly, then learn the exact tricks to the snatch. Then it would seem focussing primarily on the snatch would be needed.
I am yet to start snatching however the benefits I foresee are;
a) build stamina in shoulders
b) be able to pause at lockout and therefore enable high rep conditions like the snatch test
c) do more with less.

Back when I still had to test with a 24, I was doing S and S on other days, I unlocked timed simple first.. 2 weeks later, managed a snatch test at the buzzer..

If you ask me now, while the swing preps you to load the hinge explosively, if you can get to the point you are comfortable with 1-2 sizes up test size for snatches, that usually has a greater carryover to a snatch test simply because it has more specificity

For swings to help a snatch test they need to be heavy enough—32kg if it is 24kg for the snatch test.

Heavier snatches (4kg to 8kg above snatch test size) are also a solid strategy.

Going lighter to build volume and density (and condition the hands) can also be helpful.

Mix for best results IMO

28 kilo and even worse 32 kilo kettlebell seem not achievable in the near future. How do I get there ?

28 kilo and even worse 32 kilo kettlebell seem not achievable in the near future. How do I get there ?
What do you mean by "not achievable"? Can you do low reps w. the 28 or 32? (If you can do 100 reps of the 24kg bell in 6 mins, then you should be able to at least do a few reps with the 28, and probably the 32, right now)

I am working on achieving the snatch test with 24 kilo. I am now currently able to do 24 kilo snatch 100 reps in 6 minutes. My goal is however to achieve the goal with a relative good margin and with good technique ( I'm not at the moment aspiring to become a classified instructor, so it is purely for my sense of mastery that I want to achieve this goal).

Another goal that would be nice to achieve would be to be able train regularly with a 28 kilo kettlebell.

Hi @Anders,

The snatch test is always a worthy goal! And yes, you definitely want to include one-arm swings in your snatch test training plan.

Here's a rough outline of how I like to structure a three-day-per-week snatch test training plan:

DAY 1: Snatch Density with the 24kg
Do 5-8 snatches every 0:30 with the 24kg for 10 minutes.
Wave the load each week.
E.g.
- A low density day is 5 snatches on the 0:30 with the 24kg for 10 minutes = 100 snatches.
- A high density day is 8 snatches on the 0:30 with the 24kg for 10 minutes = 160 snatches.

DAY 2: Heavy Snatches
Do 5 snatches on the minute with the 28kg for 10-20 minutes.
Wave the load each week.
E.g.
- A low volume day is 5 snatches on the 1:00 with the 28kg for 10 minutes = 50 snatches.
- A high volume day is 5 snatches on the 1:00 with the 28kg for 20 minutes = 100 snatches.

DAY 3: Heavy One-Arm Swings
Do 5-10 one-arm swings on the minute with the 32kg+ for 16-30 minutes.
Wave the load each week.
E.g.
- A low volume day is 5 one-arm swings on the 1:00 with the 32kg+ for 20 minutes = 100 swings.
- A high volume day is 10 one-arm swings on the 1:00 with the 32kg+ for 20 minutes = 200 swings.

That's just a rough outline, but hopefully that helps you visualize what a training week could look like?

Let me know if you want me to send you the detailed snatch test training plan! It has mobility warmups, weekly rep schemes, etc. Happy to share!

Good luck and keep up the strong work!
Cat

Brett’s post answers your question.

For swings to help a snatch test they need to be heavy enough—32kg if it is 24kg for the snatch test.

Heavier snatches (4kg to 8kg above snatch test size) are also a solid strategy.

Going lighter to build volume and density (and condition the hands) can also be helpful.

Mix for best results IMO
All three of these things are time-honored approaches. Achieving Simple would be a great foundation for your stated goals, IMHO.

-S-

I am yet to start snatching however the benefits I foresee are;
a) build stamina in shoulders
b) be able to pause at lockout and therefore enable high rep conditions like the snatch test
c) do more with less.
a) TGUs or presses
b) relevant for the snatch test very specifically - otherwise... same as a)
c) could do higher volume swings like sets of 15-20 instead of 10, and do more variety of moves... or just buy the heavier bell, haha!

What made me pause on my goal of SF certification is that the snatch is not something I personally see much use for in my life, although clearly the snatch test is proof of kettlebell mastery - a good way to ensure only the right kind of people get certified and I think I am not the right kind of people, hehe.

The S&S moves avoid chafing the skin with movements like the clean or the snatch that have the bell grip rotating in your hand. I don't need any chalk to do S&S. I also found that S&S was virtually all I needed in order to develop the one arm one leg pushup in short order - the key challenge was balance more than anything. Maybe I should go for the bodyweight certification using S&S kettlebelling as my secret training tool, hehe! For me the missing element in S&S is the military press. This bent arm strength is too easy to develop with such an easy move to not do it. I don't do any squats - I do so much stuff on my feet including the S&S stuff there is no point.

By all accounts, yes, "people" have had success using swings as a big part of their snatch test prep. However, I am not one of those people, and have had much better success focusing on snatches. Another thing that is often recommended but didn't do much for me was density-based plans. I have gotten a lot out of plans that stretch out the set length on each hand, and plans that incorporate heavier bells.

I am a big advocate of training and building volume with a size up from your test bell. For me, it makes the test size bell just feel a lot easier and more comfortable, physically and mentally. I also like double cleans with a size up from the test bell for overloading the ballistic hinge compared to a single snatch or swing, in a way that is closer to the groove of the snatch but easier on the hands.

When preparing for the snatch test, in my experience practicing the test regularly is extremely valuable. I've heard it said that you shouldn't prepare for the test by practicing the test, but to me that should not be interpreted as meaning you shouldn't practice the test at all or even that you shouldn't practice it regularly. I don't think there's really any downside. It might be a hard effort, but it's limited in duration and shouldn't take that much out of you. In the total tension complex program, Pavel includes a 5 minute snatch test as a finisher after the clean-press-squat-row complexes.

A practice test gives you a clear picture of where you stand and what your limiting factors are (usually some combination of grip, lungs, and hips), it gives you a feel for pacing, and it gets you accustomed to accepting the discomfort and working through it. It's huge for building confidence and familiarity, so you don't have any anxiety or uncertainty adding to the physical stress of the test.

My goal for the test is to be able to comfortably do 20/20/15/15/10/10/10, without putting the bell down, and finish in about 4 minutes, just when it starts to get uncomfortable. I like this rep scheme because it's psychologically comfortable for me. It's all downhill, after 3 hand switches I've got 70 reps in the bank, and I can start AND finish on my strong hand (meaning "stronger" hand if you go by that terminology). Being able to stretch out the length of those first sets and having a reserve of grip strength and endurance to do that just seems to make the whole effort easier and more efficient, and gives a sense of comfort and confidence.

I've seen some guys stop and start multiple times while successfully completing the test, but that's definitely not for me. For me, parking the bell for a short rest and then starting again from a dead stop is more physically and psychologically difficult than working continuously. You don't get any bonus points for finishing faster, but I just never want any anxiety about running out of time. So that lends itself to working quickly and continuously, rather than taking any breaks to put the bell down. It also gets the suffering over with sooner.

So I want to stretch out the length of sets I can do continuously on each hand and build a reserve of strength so I can attack the test aggressively and not have to pace my way through it too much or have to struggle to the finish line.

Here's a combination of plans that I've used successfully in the past for my certifications, neither of which I've ever heard of anyone else using. The first is based on an article by Ken Froese that was based on a plan by Randy Hauer, and focuses on grip endurance and stretching out the set length on each hand.
My take on the plan is to incorporate a 28kg bell in addition to a 24kg bell. I find that the 28 gives me enough overload to make the 24 feel easy, but I can still do a reasonable amount of volume with it. Here's the plan:

Test the maximum number of repetitions you can do with your weaker hand with both the 28kg and the 24kg. Do both tests relatively fresh. Make it a slightly uncomfortable max, but not all out to where you are compromising technique to hold onto the bell. Now calculate 120% of each number. That is the number of snatches you will do in each session with each arm, with each bell, but you will break that number up into two sets for each arm for each bell, using a different split each session. There are three sessions per week. The first is a 70%/50% split, the second day is 60%/60%, and the third day is 80%/40%.

Each day follows the same format, but with different percentages. Start with 28kg. Do both sets with the same arm with 1 minute rest in between, then train the other arm. Then switch bells without resting and do the same thing with 24kg. Here's what the 70/50 session would look like:

28kg: 70%L/Rest 1 min/50%L/70%R/Rest 1 min/50%R
24kg: 70%L/Rest 1 min/50%L/70%R/Rest 1 min/50%R

Adjustments:
--You can reset maxes once a month, or when the current level starts feeling comfortable.
--At the beginning, if you need a minute rest when switching bells, that's okay.
--If you have trouble completing the sessions at the beginning, scale down your maxes so you can get all your reps.
--The original plan was only one run through per session with just 24kg, supplemented by swings for more conditioning volume, but doing the 28kg first, takes care of some of that. When I prepped for my last certification test (RKC, when Pavel was there), I did a lot of heavy swings with a combination of grips, at least one very high volume session each week (400-800 swings, but mostly 500-600). If I were doing it today, I would do less swings (enough for technique practice) and more double cleans in A+A style (which was not yet a thing I was aware of when I was doing this plan). Double cleans overload the ballistic hinge, but aren't as hard on your grip recovery since the weight is split between hands, and the bell path is more similar to the snatch than the swing is. Snatches fly up when you are doing a high volume of double cleans with the same size bells or heavier.

One other thing I threw in the mix every once in a while was snatch time ladders. For each work set, keep the bell in the air the whole time. "Rest" in the lockout. Don't worry about cadence, don't worry about counting reps, and switch hands as often as you need to, just keep the bell off the ground for the allotted time. Snatch 1 minute/rest 1 minute/snatch 2 minutes/rest 1 minute/snatch 3 minutes/rest 1 minute/snatch 4 minutes. I never went above 4 minutes, but that was bad enough after the previous sets. I used this progression to build up to a 1-4 snatch time ladder, moving up when I could increase the cadence at each level and was confident I could keep the bell in the air for the full time at the next level:
1,1,1,1,1 (if necessary, you can build up to five sets or start with longer rest intervals)
1, 2,1,1
1,2, 2,1

With regard to Q&D as snatch test prep, I haven't used it for that purpose, but I've done an awful lot of Q&D snatching. I think Q&D can work for test prep, especially as base building, if you work up to heavier than test-sized bells, and extend the set lengths. Rep schemes down to 5/2 with a heavier bell, and up to 15/2 are discussed in the Q&D book. I've worked up to 28kg x 15/2 x 4 series, and 32kg x 10/2 x 6 series, and I would be pretty confident that would put me in good shape for 24kg x 100 x 5 minutes. But I haven't actually tested it.

A few other things to consider:
1. An ounce of mobility can be worth a pound of strength and/or conditioning. A solid overhead position, where you can support the bell with your structure and alignment, rather than muscle power, makes a big difference in continuous snatching because you can "rest" as you fixate each rep. If you have to fight keep the bell in the lockout with muscle power, you fatigue a lot faster and you can't really slow your cadence because you will burn yourself out holding the bell overhead. So it becomes a pick your poison dilemma: burn out your lungs and/or grip and/or hips by going faster, or burn out your deltoids and triceps holding up the bell. It's not necessarily a huge deal in a five minute test, but if you ever want to try for the 200 in ten minutes test, it becomes much bigger.

2. I believe a strong aerobic base will greatly facilitate this training, form both a performance standpoint and a recovery standpoint.

3. It may be wise to back off from peaking for the test as an immediate goal, and work on building a base of snatching strength and technique. If snatching 28 or 32kg is a struggle now, working up to making it more comfortable will have a lot of carryover to any peaking plan for the test with 24kg. And doing lots of reps over time will help a lot with technique efficiency that will also carry over to the test. BTW, although the "deep grip" seems to have gained popularity recently for hardstyle snatching, I find it counterproductive for longer sets and continuous snatching. It can be more secure for heavy bells and lover reps, but leads to more and quicker forearm pump and fatigue. I find a hook grip allows me to remain more relaxed, but it does require a higher baseline of snatch-specific grip strength. If you feel like you're pretty close to nailing the test right now, then a peaking plan would be more appropriate.
This is one of the most informative posts here in a long time. This should be a article on the site @Steve Freides

a) TGUs or presses
b) relevant for the snatch test very specifically - otherwise... same as a)
c) could do higher volume swings like sets of 15-20 instead of 10, and do more variety of moves... or just buy the heavier bell, haha!

What made me pause on my goal of SF certification is that the snatch is not something I personally see much use for in my life, although clearly the snatch test is proof of kettlebell mastery - a good way to ensure only the right kind of people get certified and I think I am not the right kind of people, hehe.
If we look at VO2max:
Swings is 60% of VO2max effect of running.
Snatches is 85%.

Swings are good enough for you, snatches are good enough for others.
The S&S moves avoid chafing the skin with movements like the clean or the snatch that have the bell grip rotating in your hand. I don't need any chalk to do S&S...
Technique issue. This is the worst my hand has looked in a long time, and that is coming from a few weeks of KSK with 40kg (75kg BW), see my training log for reps/sets.DSC_0259.JPG

When searching the Strong First articles there’s a few on how to train for the snatch test.
Lots to read You searched for Snatch test | StrongFirst

I can’t remember where the following is from, could be one of the above articles or one of Pavel’s books. This is something that helped me improve by training snatch two days a week.

Here’s an example of a gentleman looking to compete in the novice division with a 20kg,
but he hasn’t quite mastered the 20kg yet, so he’s using the progression with a 16kg.
Example of Cycle Progression:
Session 1Session 2
Week 1 16kg5/5 – 7 minutes4/4 – 7 minutes
Week 26/65/5
Week 3 7/7 6/6
Week 48/87/7
Week 59/98/8
Week 610/109/9
Week 7 Try 20kg*5/54/4
Week 86/65/5
Week 97/76/6
Week 108/87/7
Week 119/98/8
Week 1210/109/9
Week 13 Try 24kg?5/54/4

* If 20kg doesn’t go, repeat 16kg as below.
Week 7 16kg7/7 – 8 minutes6/6 – 8 minutes
Week 88/87/7
Week 99/98/8
Week 1010/109/9
Week 11Try 20kg

Hi,

You are right there. Just by doing that test like every week you will hit that goal no worries.

For me, no. I did not have any carryover from swings to snatches.

Warning, I have not really done Sinister but tried it for 4 weeks when I was traveling a few years ago, did 8TGU @ 10min followed by 90 1h swings @5min (@70-75kg BW) when I tested. My snatches felt the same after, did not improve.

I few years ago I did 1000x 1h swings with the 24kg kettlebell without putting the bell down. It did not change my snatch numbers.

When I have good conditioning (2k row test Concept2 @ 7:15) my grip has always been the limiting factor. Conditioning did not improve my snatches.

Only thing I found helped my snatches are snatches.

Coming from a few weeks of VWC (1x24kg, 15/15, 6rep) 1 day a week, I tried two snatchtests a few weeks ago:
1x 24kg 160 @10 (100@5), 75kg BW
1x32kg 90@ 5 minutes

Will try to do them again after KSK.
If I get more than 110 with 1x32 I have improved (else I'm at the same level).
If I get more than 180 with 1x24 @10min I have improved.

I think that if I trained for the 10mim snatchtests I would nail it, but I have never trained for it cause the test itself is awful so I prefer not doing it. I don't like discomfort of that kind. Pain and soulcrushing heavy things sure. Blood-taste and heart-attack feeling, no thank you.

Back
Top Bottom