all posts post new thread

Carry-over effect from swings to snatch ?

I might need to give it another go then.
Well, if not snatching suits your needs, not really.
If you want slightly better VO2-training, maybe. But running would be better (if we are for some reason only interested in VO2max-training)
What I mean: Snatching 85% of VO2max. Running 100% of VO2max. You can snatch maybe 10minutes at that pace. You can run for an hour at that pace.

Well, if not snatching suits your needs, not really.
If you want slightly better VO2-training, maybe. But running would be better (if we are for some reason only interested in VO2max-training)
What I mean: Snatching 85% of VO2max. Running 100% of VO2max. You can snatch maybe 10minutes at that pace. You can run for an hour at that pace.
Of course 5 nights a week of judo and fencing, including the heavy historical fencing - plenty of the VO2max stuff I would assume, hehe. Our (Olympic level) coach actually uses running in between judo bouts as a form of active recovery - it is a kind of relaxation exercise between the fights, hehe. I suppose training weights exclusively is different than training weights alongside some serious combat athletics - goals will be different and so will training methods and choices of programmes and moves.

Last edited:
a) TGUs or presses
b) relevant for the snatch test very specifically - otherwise... same as a)
c) could do higher volume swings like sets of 15-20 instead of 10, and do more variety of moves... or just buy the heavier bell, haha!

What made me pause on my goal of SF certification is that the snatch is not something I personally see much use for in my life, although clearly the snatch test is proof of kettlebell mastery - a good way to ensure only the right ki

The S&S moves avoid chafing the skin with movements like the clean or the snatch that have the bell grip rotating in your hand. I don't need any chalk to do S&S. I also found that S&S was virtually all I needed in order to develop the one arm one leg pushup in short order - the key challenge was balance more than anything. Maybe I should go for the bodyweight certification using S&S kettlebelling as my secret training tool, hehe! For me the missing element in S&S is the military press. This bent arm strength is too easy to develop with such an easy move to not do it. I don't do any squats - I do so much stuff on my feet including the S&S stuff there is no point.
It took a little practice to not tear my hands in the snatch. The 28 I on tears the skin a little, I think it’s because of the bigger diameter handle it has. I also avoid high rep snatching when it’s very hot and humid outside cause I know something will tear going above 60 reps. Nothing wrong with not wanting to snatch much right now. The exercise has a lot of suck factors that make it awesome for the sake that it sucks really bad to most. I like it because it doesn’t seem to make my legs burn like the swing does even though the swing allows for more weight to be used, and that has many benefits in itself to use much heavier weights. Any of the certifications would be worthwhile to go to. The environment and recharge it provides is well worth the time and money investment. For me it’s an investment into my own health and motivation to train than it is a motivation to teach other. I’m not training anyone right now. I’m sure I wouldn’t be as motivated to train though without putting a goal on the calendar, paying for it, and knowing that I made the commitment to show up strong enough to complete that weekend.

It took a little practice to not tear my hands in the snatch. The 28 I on tears the skin a little, I think it’s because of the bigger diameter handle it has. I also avoid high rep snatching when it’s very hot and humid outside cause I know something will tear going above 60 reps. Nothing wrong with not wanting to snatch much right now. The exercise has a lot of suck factors that make it awesome for the sake that it sucks really bad to most. I like it because it doesn’t seem to make my legs burn like the swing does even though the swing allows for more weight to be used, and that has many benefits in itself to use much heavier weights. Any of the certifications would be worthwhile to go to. The environment and recharge it provides is well worth the time and money investment. For me it’s an investment into my own health and motivation to train than it is a motivation to teach other. I’m not training anyone right now. I’m sure I wouldn’t be as motivated to train though without putting a goal on the calendar, paying for it, and knowing that I made the commitment to show up strong enough to complete that weekend.
I am stuck with just dummbells and bodyweight for a while here. Seems I am getting a lot of the same stuff done with CandP as with SandS although not to the same degree or intensity, so I do higher volume and it is keeping me together for the time being.

For me, improving at the snatch required more snatching than swinging. I did several rounds of RoP using the standard format (2 days swing, 1day snatching) and had minor improvements in my snatch numbers. I switched to doing snatches in S&S format 3x per week(10 sets of 10, auto regulated) and my progress was significantly better.

Here's a rough outline of how I like to structure a three-day-per-week snatch test training plan:

A few people reached out to me asking for this snatch test training plan, so I figured I would share it here.

You can download the free training plan here:

5-Minute Snatch Test Training Plan - 24kg

I would love to hear your feedback on it! Please- Any thoughts, questions, feedback, etc. are welcome!

Thanks!
Cat

Back
Top Bottom