all posts post new thread

Chasing 2 rabbits

Spartan Agoge

Level 6 Valued Member
A great quote states that "if you chase 2 rabbits, you will not catch either one", meaning that trying to achieve 2 things at once will be unfruitful.
So, here I am to put this quote to the test by trying to achieve 2 conflicting goals in 2024: a 3 times bodyweight deadlift in competition and running a marathon.

I am (almost) 35 years old an I mostly train for strength. I started working out with calisthenics when I was 16-17 years old(inspired by Rocky movies, I guess) and then I did weightlifting for some years. When I was in college I was also running 3-4 times per week. Then I got in the army(in my country there is a mandatory military service for all men) where I was running even more and also did a lot of calisthenics.

After that, life happened and for 2 years I wasn't training at all. After these 2 years, I started doing bodybuilding splits, but I hated it. Then I discovered powerlifting style strength training and I loved it. Who doesn't love to lift heavy weights for just a few reps?

Luckily, after some months of strength training, I discovered Pavel and the GREAT "power to the people" program. I remember that I posted in a domestic forum my plans to do the PTTP and everyone was concerned. A friend answered me "no man, this will not work! Just do starting strength!" ROFL

Of course it worked beyond any expectations. With pttp I got my deadlift from 120kg/265lbs to 180kg/395lbs in a few months. This is when I said to myself "this Pavel guy knows what he is talking about". Since then, I have followed Pavel's programs many times.

So, here I am today to do something that seems dangerous, but with the most safe and proven methods. Of course, I do not recommend to anyone to do something like this. Let me be the guinea pig.

For the first weeks, I will do a linear periodization mesocycle, based on Prilepin's chart. After this mesocycle, I have something in mind that will allow me to overload the deadlift more than the other lifts, but this is for later.

For the marathon preparation, I will start by doing easy jogging and increase the distance every 2-3 weeks. I will firstly build the volume and then the intensity.

Goals:

1) Final goal: 3 x bodyweight deadlift in December
Medium term goal: deadlift 230kg in July
Current goal: Lift 200kg in 8 weeks(end of first mesocycle)

2) Final goal: run a marathon
Medium term goal: run a half marathon in June
Current goal: be able to jog 50 km per week in the next 2 months

This is it, the following post is my Week 1.

Last edited:
Mesocycle 1, Week 1

Monday, January 15 2024
-Squat 3x5 112kg/246lbs
-Bench press: 3x5 84kg/185lbs
-Pull ups: 2x5 +10kg/22lbs

Tuesday, January 16 2024
-Jogging 9km (am)
-Stationary bike 20 minutes (pm)

Wednesday, January 17 2024
-Deadlift: 3x5 140kg/310lbs
-Overhead press: 3x5 55kg/120lbs

Thursday, January 18 2024
-Jogging 9km (am)
-Stationary bike 20 minutes (pm)

Friday, January 19 2024
-Squat 3x6 112kg/246lbs
-Bench press: 3x6 84kg/185lbs

Saturday, January 20 2024
-Jogging 9km (am)

Mesocycle 1, week 2

Monday, January 22 2024
-Deadlift: 3x6 140kg/310lbs
-Overhead press: 3x6 55kg/120lbs

Tuesday, January 23 2024
-Jogging 9km
-Walk/run 3km

The biggest challenge is to get out of bed at 05:00 am and get out to the cold to run. Especially if I have slept late. Nevertheless, I will do it, no matter what.
Jogging with comfortable pace is easy to recover and it is also enjoyable.

Wednesday, Januar 24 2024
-Squat 4x6 112kg/246lbs
-Bench press: 4x6 84kg/185lbs

Thursday, January 25 2024
-Running 3km
-Jogging(easy pace) 6km

Update: I was looking for some 5-10km races just to get some experience before the Marathon which is in November and I found something very interesting. In May there is a 24 hours charity race. Essentially, you run, or walk, or whatever you want for up to 24 hours. Of course, you can stop any time you want. For every kilometer you walk/run, 1 euro will be donated to a charity.
I am considering to participate. My plan is to jog with comfortable pace 10-20 km and then walk for as much as I feel. Who knows, maybe I will be able to do it for 24 hours :D
It will be a mental strength test.

Friday, January 26 2024
-Deadlift: 4x6 140kg/310lbs
-Overhead press: 4x6 55kg/120lbs
-Fat grips deadlift: 10x5 70kg/155lbs (emom)

Saturday, January 27 2024
-Walk/run: 9km
-Stationary bike: 30 minutes zone 2

2 weeks into the program. So far so good. I can feel my aerobic capacity increasing with every cardio session.

My recovery is good and I can increase the weight a little bit for the next 2 weeks, from 70% of this mesocycle's training max to 75%.

The only issue so far is that my hamstrings are stiff and a little sore, so I stretch multiple times per day and every night I do deep tissue massage with a baseball.

Monday, January 29 2024
-Squat: 3x4 120kg/265lbs
-Bench press: 3x4 90kg/200lbs
-Pull-ups: 3x5 +10kg/22lbs

Tuesday, January 30 2024
-Jogging: 6km
-Run/walk: 3km

It was raining heavily in the morning, but I had to do what I had to do. I wore my waterproof jacket and I went running.

Having a specific goal to be accomplished on a specific date, offers you great accountability. If I didn't have the very specific goal of running a Marathon on November 10 (and a 30km race in June), I would have stayed in my warm bed, most probably.

I consider it to be a mental victory for me.

This week I must do at least 30km of jogging and walking/running.

Last edited:
Wednesday January 31, 2024
-Deadlift: 3x4 150kg/330lbs
-Overhead press: 3x4 60kg/132lbs
-Pull ups: 3x5 +10kg/22lbs

Thursday February 1, 2024
-Stationary bike: 30 mins zone 2
-Power walking: 9km

I wanted to give my joints the time to recover, so, instead of jogging, power walking and stationary bike today.

During the next weeks, I must increase dramatically my weekly cardio volume. As jogging and running are high impact, the most of this increase will be in the form of dynamic power walking. My goal is to reach as soon as possible 50km/week. 25 km jogging and 25 km walking. Also, 1-2 stationary bike sessions per week and a few 10'' alactic sprints.

Friday February 2, 2024
-Squat: 3x5 120kg/265lbs
-Bench press: 3x5 90kg/200lbs
-Pull-ups: 3x5 +10kg/22lbs

Saturday February 3, 2024
-Easy pace jogging: 12km
-Stationary bike: 20 mins

Tomorrow, Sunday, I will stay all day on the couch, watching football/basketball, drinking caffeine and eating carbs.
On Monday, my Spartan Agoge starts again.

Last edited:
Monday February 5, 2024
-Deadlift: 3x5 150kg/330lbs
-Overhead press: 3x5 60kg/132lbs
-Pull ups: 3x5 +10kg/22lbs

Tuesday February 6, 2024
-Running: 15km

By far the best run since I started training for long distance running, last month.
I don't know why, I don't know how, but I was able to run with fast pace without my heart rate increase too much, or my legs burning.

I started running with a fast pace and I thought that I will slow down when I need it. But I never needed it. I am trying to figure out why this happened(until last week much slower jogging made me more tired). My top theories are that either the blood vessels in my legs increased(I am not really familiar with the aerobic capacity science, but it makes sense to me) or that, because the days before running I did A LOT of stretching, as a result, my blood circulation improved.

Will my next run be as easy and smooth? I doubt it. As a domestic proverb states: "it is not everyday Sunday" ROFL

In the context of my participation in the Marathon race on November 10(which is my big final goal), I just signed in for a trail running race of 30km, which will take place on June 15 at 2000m altitude.

Of course, a trail running is not the most suitable race to prepare for a marathon, but I chose it among many for the simple reason that it will take place at my grandfather's village, so, at my village of origin. There will be some great trail running athletes, so, of course, it is not my intentions to win the race. Just to do a good time. The time limit is 6 hours and I would like to finish in less than 5.

I am preparing by doing a lot of zone 2 cardio(easy jogging/ power walking/ stationary bike), 1-2 hard, fast pace runs per week and my regular strength training.

As I said, there will be some good trail runners and I want to be able to follow their pace. Their advantages are their aerobic fitness and their experience. My only advantage is my strength. I was always a lifter, so, I believe that, my legs and my core are stronger than them. Does it matter in a 30km endurance trail race? I don't know tbh, but this is what I have.

So, besides my weekly volume of running/walking/cycling and my lifting routine, I want to do some "grease the groove" style aerobic circuits. Every 20-30 minutes, a circuit of jumping jacks, high knees, jogging in place and burpees for 2 minutes total. Just to raise my heart rate every 20 minutes, without recovery cost.
If someone can propose any exercises that are good for such circuits, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom