all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Cool down/ mobility for shoulders after pressing volume

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
What is your cooldown or mobility after ROP or KB Strong, the Giant or other press heavy programs specifically for shoulders. Light and short, not assistance work. Not in pain, just want to keep it that way. I did shoulder dislocations (unfortunate name for an exercise) with a staff and that felt good.

What is your cooldown or mobility after ROP or KB Strong, the Giant or other press heavy programs specifically for shoulders. Light and short, not assistance work. Not in pain, just want to keep it that way. I did shoulder dislocations (unfortunate name for an exercise) with a staff and that felt good.
Hang from a pullup bar

1/4 mile carry (waiter, rack, suitcase, switch hands and repeat til done). I change positions when it gets.... uncomfortable. I use a 24 but itd work lighter.

do everything in the Original Strength for Healthy Shoulders pamphlet (its a very well spent $5).

shoulder dislocates.

halos.

i do all this as warmup. My CD is a short walk and a shower (though today i did hang from p/u bar for a few seconds). Baby steps. I should be doing the OS routine again as C/D (Maybe skipping the crawling. That is more like “work”).

i had real trouble with tightness of rotator cuff muscles when I started on Giant and it is almost completely gone....., though i wont call myself “cured” until i manage a BB OH Squat.

I'm not a big cool-downer to be honest but my current favourite OS reset for presses is the rocking push-up so I often do a handful during and after sessions of the Giant. That, some rocking, some dislocates (agree with you about the name!!!), and some Theraband internal and external rotations on my troublesome side, generally seem to keep me happy.

Hang from a pullup bar

1/4 mile carry (waiter, rack, suitcase, switch hands and repeat til done). I change positions when it gets.... uncomfortable. I use a 24 but itd work lighter.

do everything in the Original Strength for Healthy Shoulders pamphlet (its a very well spent $5).

shoulder dislocates.

halos.

i do all this as warmup. My CD is a short walk and a shower (though today i did hang from p/u bar for a few seconds). Baby steps. I should be doing the OS routine again as C/D (Maybe skipping the crawling. That is more like “work”).

i had real trouble with tightness of rotator cuff muscles when I started on Giant and it is almost completely gone....., though i wont call myself “cured” until i manage a BB OH Squ

Hang from a pullup bar

shoulder dislocates.

halos.

i had real trouble with tightness of rotator cuff muscles when I started on Giant and it is almost completely gone....., though i wont call myself “cured” until i manage a BB OH Squat.

BB OH Squat with an unloaded bar or dowel is a great mobility exercise in its own right.

I found a mix of arm bars, bent presses, SOS getups (at least halves), and crawling (bear, leopard, alligator) kept my shoulders feeling good through press-centric programs. Usually I'd pick one exercise and/or crawling - e.g. a circuit of 5 light bent presses, focusing on good positions, followed by some crawling, usually followed by a couple stretches for whatever is tight (for me, hip flexors and calves), repeated through 3ish times.

I found a mix of arm bars, bent presses, SOS getups (at least halves), and crawling (bear, leopard, alligator) kept my shoulders feeling good through press-centric programs. Usually I'd pick one exercise and/or crawling - e.g. a circuit of 5 light bent presses, focusing on good positions, followed by some crawling, usually followed by a couple stretches for whatever is tight (for me, hip flexors and calves), repeated through 3ish times.

Thank you, I forgot crawling.

Indian clubs to prime before.

Band pull aparts during rest periods and after during cooldown.

Mace work day after to traction it out.

Indian clubs to prime before.

Band pull aparts during rest periods and after during cooldown.

Mace work day after to traction it out.

Band pull aparts during rest periods don't interfere with performance? Mace is a great idea as well. I can see the Indian clubs warming up the entire shoulder complex.

Hello,

I enjoy hanging from a bar, shoulder disclotaes / skin the cats, windmills with mace / clubs, halos.

Kind regards,

Pet'

One short hang usually does it. Always worth it to also do a single set of face pulls and overhead external rotations with a cable machine or a band.

I know you said no assistance so this goes on the grey area but I think rows are great for keeping my shoulders working better and pain free, but they also are very, very important for strength. I like a couple of sets of unilateral rows after pressing, even if just for recovery purposes.

I also love to do light and long sets of barbell behind the neck presses. They make the whole upper body feel right after training.

All great stuff above - when I'm short on equipment I also like to add in L-sit style presses against the ground. Keeping the heels down and elevating the top of the head. YMMV depending on your arm length - but this depression of the scaps, like the top of the ring dip - really gets things put in the right spot.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom