all posts post new thread

Cultivating Discipline -- Marcus Aurelius

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marcus Aurelius

Level 5 Valued Member

Currently I'm running the 20kg Rite of Passage. I'll be logging my thoughts, concerns and practices.

My goal here is to stick and follow this program.

I have a struggle with discipline. I've been reading Discipline Equals Freedom by Jocko Willink. It really made an impact on me. I'm realizing that successful people don't always do what they WANT to do but they do what they HAVE to. Exercise isn't always a walk in the park and you don't always want to do it. At the end of the day, you have to do it. You need to keep your body in shape and you need to keep your joints mobile. It's a cheap price to pay to mitigate the ravages of time.

All it takes is time, effort and a little bit of sacrifice. As long as you stay on the path, which sometimes can be quite narrow, you will reach your destination.

Be Well.

Light Day

3(1) 20kg MP SSw/ 3(1) Chin Up

9 Minute 16kg Snatch -- 3L/3R e/minute = 54 total snatches.

Last edited:
Heavy Day

3(1,2,3) 20kg C&P SSw/ 3(1,2,3) Chin Up

9 Minute 20kg Swings -- Hard Effort

** Everyday I perform 3 x 5 16kg GBSQ for mobility plus other mobility work and lots of walking. Just wanted to say that, since I won't be logging it.**

Speaking of Goblet Squats. I found this video by Steve Maxwell. At the end of the video he states that a Goblet Squat can be equal to doing a back squat with three times the weight of the bell. Interesting, I guess the back is isometrically holding the bell in place during the squat. I think I'm gonna share a video every heavy day from now on.

Last edited:
Light Day

3(1) 20kg MP SSw/ 3(1) 24 lb Chin Up

7 min 16kg Snatch -- 4L/4R e/minute = 56 total snatches

Last edited:
Variety Day

5 x 5 -- 24kg Loaded Clean Alternated w/ 5 x 1 -- 24kg TGU

3 x 5 -- 24kg TH Swing

3 x 5 -- 20kg Snatch

With the kettlebell press, powerlifting style cycling is not an option and large jumps force one to increase the training volume. This is positive for reasons I have explains. It also encourages one to do other exercises (say, cleans and get-ups) with the heavier bell, accustoming the nervous system to it. -- Pavel Tsatsouline

Variety Day

5 x 5 -- 24kg Loaded Clean Alternated w/ 5 x 1 -- 24kg TGU

3 x 5 -- 24kg TH Swing

3 x 5 -- 20kg Snatch

It's a discipline and isn't always enjoyable as Steve Maxwell says in this video.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, I'll be starting my first ever desk job on Monday. So that means extra mobility work for me. Lots of mobility/walking before work and mobility work after work.

Welcome to the ranks of sedentary zombies. I'll be interested to hear what changes you notice, and how you adapt. Getting free of the desk is certainly something I've struggled with.

Thanks man. Currently my routine to deal with this is as follows :
  1. Before Work
    1. Joint mobility
    2. Trifecta Stretches
    3. A small walk
    4. Bar Hanging
  2. Lunch
    1. Walk
  3. After Work
    1. Workout or Joint Mobility
    2. Small Walk
    3. Bar Hanging
  4. Before Bed
    1. Trifecta Stretches
I might start biking to work when spring roles around. I've never liked biking though because you're sitting while you do it but it's still probably better than driving. In case you don't know the trifecta stretches are : Bridge Hold, L-Sit Hold and Twist Hold.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom