all posts post new thread

Cultivating Discipline -- Marcus Aurelius

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have no idea what branch/trade you are joining but my advice to people joining the Army is to take up orienteering (if there is a club nearby) as opposed to just going out running. Running coaching plus learning to map read are a real benefit.
Regardless, have fun!

I have no idea what branch/trade you are joining but my advice to people joining the Army is to take up orienteering (if there is a club nearby) as opposed to just going out running. Running coaching plus learning to map read are a real benefit.
Regardless, have fun!
Thank you. I'm enlisting in the Army but I'm waiting on an eye waiver. I've heard that orienteering is great for the land nav courses.

Over the years I've practiced a ton of active bar hangs/towel hangs and one arm hangs. I'm currently working it hard as well.

Well yesterday it came into use. I was climbing a tree in my back yard and I slipped off a branch and I began to fall but I was able to reach out and grab a thinner branch with one arm. Now, I am confident if I hadn't been practicing bar hanging all these years my arm would've ripped out of my socket. My arm is a little sore from grabbing the branch but I think that has to do with 170 pounds yanking on it. The alternative would've been much worse.

This is experience has made me far more enamored with the concept of grip training and shoulder health. My arms literally saved me from possible broken legs and a ripped rotator cuff.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom