Daily Dose Thread

the hansenator

More than 500 posts
Please reread the original blog here - the program is designed to coexist with other training.

-S-
I'll reread it. I have some unusual concerns though. This is the first time in over 20 years that deadlifts aren't hurting my back. I'm firing on all cylinders now but a couple of muscles that were dormant for a long time still tire easily. When my back and foot problem get worse it's a clue that I'm doing too much so I've learned to be cautious about how much I do.

dcc449

Triple-Digit Post Count
I'm near the end of a DDD cycle - will finish this week - and am hoping to get some guidance on potentially incorporating Pavel's 5 week peaking plan afterwards to squeeze out as much progress as I can (The 5-Week TSC Deadlift Plan | StrongFirst). The DDD program specifies testing max a couple of days after the last workout in the program. However, if I wanted to pursue the peaking plan right after finishing DDD, would it be advisable to still test max?

In other words, I think I have two options.
1) finish DDD tomorrow, do not test max, and begin the 5 week peaking plan next week
2) finish DDD tomorrow, rest a few days and test max early next week, then the following week begin the peaking plan (and test max again in 5 weeks).

Any recommendations? If it matters, my DDD cycle has been based on a max of 375 (at ~175-180 bodyweight). DDD has been going well - I've made every single rep without issue.

Antti

More than 2500 posts
If you decide to max twice, I'd take a break of a week or two before starting the peaking plan.

dcc449

Triple-Digit Post Count
Thanks @Kettlebelephant and @Antti for the advice! I think I will attempt a 'sort-of max' early next week, take 1-2 weeks off (depending on how close to a true max it ends up being), then start the peaking plan.

For my 'sort-of max' attempt, I'm thinking of limiting myself to no more than two attempts - 380, and if that feels good, then 390. Then, hoping the peaking cycle can get me to 405, which is a big milestone goal for me (4 plates!). My previous max was 375 (9 weeks ago). Seems like a reasonable plan and goals?

deadliftheavy500

Triple-Digit Post Count
Thanks @Kettlebelephant and @Antti for the advice! I think I will attempt a 'sort-of max' early next week, take 1-2 weeks off (depending on how close to a true max it ends up being), then start the peaking plan.

For my 'sort-of max' attempt, I'm thinking of limiting myself to no more than two attempts - 380, and if that feels good, then 390. Then, hoping the peaking cycle can get me to 405, which is a big milestone goal for me (4 plates!). My previous max was 375 (9 weeks ago). Seems like a reasonable plan and goals?
Hey, what did you end up maxing out at?

dcc449

Triple-Digit Post Count
@deadliftheavy500 I hit 385 for a pretty smooth single. Tried 395 but aborted after I got it an inch or two off the ground. Running a peaking program now and plan to attempt 395 or 405 next week.

deadliftheavy500

Triple-Digit Post Count
@deadliftheavy500 I hit 385 for a pretty smooth single. Tried 395 but aborted after I got it an inch or two off the ground. Running a peaking program now and plan to attempt 395 or 405 next week.
Good stuff. I'm actually starting the Daily Dose plan tomorrow, and I was thinking of combining it with Simple & Sinister (maybe lighter version?). Any tips you might have for me? Lol.

Sean M

Quadruple-Digit Post Count
Good stuff. I'm actually starting the Daily Dose plan tomorrow, and I was thinking of combining it with Simple & Sinister (maybe lighter version?). Any tips you might have for me? Lol.
I paired it with S&S, just separated the two by a few hours (5pm-ish DDDL then 7:30ish S&S).

Phil12

I alternated last year and it worked very well for me. I'd just do DDD straight up, maybe add some kind of upper body lift, finish and do S&S to build up your grip.

Last edited:

deadliftheavy500

Triple-Digit Post Count
I alternated last year and it worked very well for me. I'd just do DDD straight up, maybe add some kind of upper body lift, finish and do S&S to build up your grip.
That sounds like a good plan for me right now, especially since the heaviest kettlebells I can buy (can’t really get to another store besides the one I just called) go up to only 35 lb. @ $60. I’m combining DDD with PTTP Press programming, and maybe I’ll buy the KB and do some one-handed swings and get-ups with it just for conditioning purposes.

Phil12

Where are you at? In the US at least, you can usually get decent online deals for kettlebells up to a certain size.

One-handed kettlebell swings are a great deadlift assistance exercise, and S&S (especially the TGUs) is an excellent program to pursue for its own benefits. But, if you already have the barbell, might as well start DDD.

dcc449

Triple-Digit Post Count
I did DDD 5 days a week + S&S 3 days a week for a little while. I think the two compliment each other well. If you only have a lighter kettlebell, you could probably do S&S every day you deadlift. When I did it, I was working with a heavier bell and found that my back couldn't recovery adequately if I did the swings more than 3x per week.

deadliftheavy500

Triple-Digit Post Count
Where are you at? In the US at least, you can usually get decent online deals for kettlebells up to a certain size.

One-handed kettlebell swings are a great deadlift assistance exercise, and S&S (especially the TGUs) is an excellent program to pursue for its own benefits. But, if you already have the barbell, might as well start DDD.
I'm in New York. And I was thinking of doing something like 5 x 10 one-handed kettlebell snatches instead of swings because of the lighter weight.

Sean M

Excellent video on "The Wedge" from Senior SFG Hector Gutierrez Jr. (@Hector G):

My feeble first attempts at practicing this. I want to focus on developing this skill for this cycle, rather than a PR. My butt dropped down in a few of these reps rather than wedging. But I can already tell the weight feels lighter and comes off the floor more easily with this technique.

f_montgomery

Double-Digit Post Count
@Steve Freides When you did the DDD 4x/wk for 6 reps, did you otherwise progress as written, as in did you work with a higher weight every 7th session? Sorry for a late question on a post - I just found this thread.

Currently running DDD and the PM.

Top Bottom