all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift form - newbie

Push the floor away
Types of Deadlifts

There are types of Conventional Deadlifts with slight variations.

1) Olympic Style Conventional Deadlifts

With this method, "Pushing the floor away", Leg Pressing the weight off the floor occurs.

Olympic Lifter employ this method because it correctly postiion the Bar for the Second Pulll

This method place more of the work load on the leg vs the back.

2) Powerlifting Conventional Deadlift

With this method, the muscle firing sequence is Back-Legs-Back.

The Back initiates breaking the weight off the floor, with some assistance from the Legs.

As the bar ascends, the Legs play greater role with the assistance of the Back.

Once the Bar is abve the knees, great Back involvement occurs.
Research Dr Tom McLauglin, PhD Exercise Biomechanics; multiple post on this.

Trainining Objective

Both are effective method.,

The Training Objective determine which technique is used.

Your lumbar is rounded at the bottom
Lumbar Rounding

Lumbar Rounding should be somewhat limited.

Grahamgolfer rounding is minimal and acceptable.

Some of it is Thoracic Rounding which is fine. Thoricic Rounding enables Deadlifter to decrease torque in the Movement by maintaining the Bar closer to the Body's Center of Gravity.

Dragging The Bar Up
Research Dr Bret Contreras and others; multiple post on this.

The Bar is slightly out in front of Grahamgolfer's Deadlift which increases the torque, magnifying the Bar Weight beyond it true load.

The key to minimizing torque is to pull the bar back on top, drag it up the shins and thighs.

Doing so, ensure that it is as close to the Body's Center of Gravity as it can be.

Your lumbar is rounded at the bottom and extended at your not-quite-lockout at the top. Consider taking StrongFirst’s barbell courses. Consider working with a coach.

Some of it is Thoracic Rounding which is fine. Thoricic Rounding enables Deadlifter to decrease torque in the Movement by maintaining the Bar closer to the Body's Center of Gravity.

No, I don't agree. For most novice lifters, it's best maintain a neutral spine, and avoiding thoracic rounding helps many people avoid lumbar rounding.

Grahamgolfer rounding is minimal and acceptable.
No, I don't agree. There are lots of things a more advanced lifter may do and do safely. In this case, however, I believe Brett's article, citation in my earlier reply, is the best approach to take. Brett's approach will work for all novices and continue to work for many people, Brett himself being a fine example.

-S-

Having the bar closer to you would be good, yes. It looks like your weight is shifting towards your toes. You want to have pressure evenly through the whole foot. Locking in to where you shift back towards the heels may help for the start. (You still want to be balanced, but seeking to be more towards the heels will help you feel "wedged in" at the start as StrongFirst teaches.) Obviously you don't want to literally drag the bar up your legs because that's no fun... but as close as you can get to that without scraping your skin with the bar is good. And some kind of footwear without squishy soles will help a LOT.

Also, you are doing two things that are OK to do, but aren't generally done for standard deadlifts:
  • Touch and go. Generally recommended to reset at the bottom and lift from a dead stop (thus termed a "deadlift") for each rep.
  • Reverse grip. Generally no need to do this until the weight gets too heavy to hold with a double overhand grip.
Congratulations on returning to lifting! I didn't ever do deadlifts until I was 45 years old, so you're way ahead of me. ;)

Man, every time I read Kenny's posts I have a strong feeling it's a chat bot reacting on keywords...

To the topic starter: are you aware that there is a starting strength model for conventional deadlift? 5 step setup for the deadlift. It's really great and easy.
You can beat me with a stick - but for the deadlift starting strength model is the way to go.

Man, every time I read Kenny's posts I have a strong feeling it's a chat bot reacting on keywords...
He’s talked about that before. He basically has a huge research document that he has amassed in his 50 some years of lifting and copy pasted relevant info from it related to his topic.

But he is indeed a real guy. With a miles long powerlifting record to match.

Yes,
Hi folks

Hope this is appropriate but I’m newly returning to lifting (I’m 40, haven’t really worked out too much for some years…). I’m very conscious of not getting injured. Might someone be able to give me a few pointers on my deadlift (which I really enjoy)

Side on deadlift

Face on

Thanks
notice how the bar comes toward you after the initial pull? Try to start with the bar over mid foot. If there’s any appreciable weight, the bar will not move if it’s not over your center of gravity. Tightening the lats and pull the bar into you (as well as wedging) will help here.

As Anna mentioned, your shifting to your toes. Practicing and improving the hinge pattern of sitting back into your hamstrings will help. Also, footwear matters. Flat soles shoes are best. Avoid sneakers on steroids with gushy soles. Barefoot is also suitable.

Lastly, it’s a deadlift. The weight should be dead between reps. It looks more like RDL execution. For a more advanced lifter, touch and go reps have merit. Practice a set of five more like five individual reps, where the bar is returned to the floor and set up occurs before each rep.

Hi @Grahamgolfer,

It's a strong start!

Echoing what @Anna C and @Mark Limbaga already wrote, here are my top tips for you:

1) Deadlift barefoot or with a thin-soled barefoot training shoe. I prefer barefoot because you can really grip the floor with your toes, root and corkscrew with your feet, and maximize your connection with the ground. It's amazing how much stronger you will FEEL when you deadlift barefoot!
2) Use the "wedge" technique to get your weight back more in your heels before you push the earth away with your feet.
3) At the top of your deadlift, become a tight "standing plank". Squeeze your glutes, brace your abs, pull your kneecaps up (tight quads), squeeze your armpits down your sides (engage lats), get tall.

This video will help a lot:

Keep up the strong practice!
- Cat
Hi folks

Hope this is appropriate but I’m newly returning to lifting (I’m 40, haven’t really worked out too much for some years…). I’m very conscious of not getting injured. Might someone be able to give me a few pointers on my deadlift (which I really enjoy)

Side on deadlift

Face on

Thanks

Last edited:
So I can lift more if I have the bar closer to me? That’s awesome (and the plan for tomorrow). Thanks. Would you actually have the bar touch your shins during the lift?
THE DEADLIFT: A SCIENTIFIC ANALYSIS

Scientific research in this area revealed that many had underestimated the importance of minimizing outward swing. The studies show that for every inch the bar swings out during the lift the effective load is actually increased 25 percent. Since even experienced lifters let the bar swing out as much as a couple of inches it is apparent that everyone can improve in this area.

Example

In Deadlifting let's say 400 lbs, if the "Bar swing out" an inch. That would mean that you'd need to exert 500 lbs of force to lock out the weight. (400 lbs X 25% = 100 lbs =400 lbs)

Pull It Back

Dragging it up your shins and legs to ensure that you are keeping the bar as close to your Body's Center of Gravity as possible.

Since the shins are sensitive, Soccer Shin Guards are a solution.

Some Powerlifting Organization allow them to be worn in Competition Meets.

You can beat me with a stick - but for the deadlift starting strength model is the way to go.

It's not what we teach at StrongFirst. I'm sure the approach you're advocating has a forum on which the OP can ask for feedback if that's the way he wants to go.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom