all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Delta 20 and intensity

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bauer

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello strong people,

I have a question regarding the Delta-20 principle. I have applied it to my S&S training with very good results, in order to manage fatigue. (I cannot predict how I will sleep or how stressful my life will be on any given day, so waving the volume helps a lot with autoregulation).

Anyway, I reread the passage in Q&D and Pavel states
"The key is the Delta 20 Principle. It means that a minimum volume change from one training unit to the next is 20 percent."

Does this mean that, say, an intensity increase of 50% does not fit the Delta-20 principle, if the volume stays the same?
Session A: 10x10 @ 16 kg
Session B: 10x10 @ 24 kg (50% higher intensity than session B, 0% volume change)

Last edited:
Hello strong people,

I have a question regarding the Delta-20 principle. I have applied it to my S&S training with very good results, in order to manage fatigue. (I cannot predict how I will sleep or how stressful my life will be on any given day, so waving the volume helps a lot with autoregulation).

Anyway, I reread the passage in Q&D and Pavel states
"The key is the Delta 20 Principle. It means that a minimum volume change from one training unit to the next is 20 percent."

Does this mean that, say, an intensity increase of 50% does not fit the Delta-20 principle, if the volume stays the same?
Session A: 10x10 @ 16 kg
Session B: 10x10 @ 24 kg (50% higher intensity than session B, 0% volume change)

Session B does have higher volume, 100 swings @24kg is more volume than 100 swings @16kg... the intensity (weight) was increased which drives the overall volume higher... to find the volume just multiply your weight used and the total of all reps, it doesn't have to be just measured by the set and rep numbers... in your example session B was 5300 in regards to volume session A was 3500...

Session B does have higher volume, 100 swings @24kg is more volume than 100 swings @16kg... the intensity (weight) was increased which drives the overall volume higher... to find the volume just multiply your weight used and the total of all reps, it doesn't have to be just measured by the set and rep numbers... in your example session B was 5300 in regards to volume session A was 3500...
Thanks. That was my original thinking.

However, thinking some more about it I remembered that in the Russian periodization system "volume" refers to total number of reps and "intensity" to the weight. (And not subjective intensity). Otherwise, the "decoupling of volume and intensity" would not make sense.

In "the System" they first plan the no. of reps (with sharp jumps from day to day) and then assign weights (RM%) to it - so the volume (total reps) always varies from day to day.

But I think that @Pavel Macek also uses sharp jumps between bells and tries to incorporate the Delta-20 principle intensity-wise.

Thanks. That was my original thinking.

However, thinking some more about it I remembered that in the Russian periodization system "volume" refers to total number of reps and "intensity" to the weight. (And not subjective intensity). Otherwise, the "decoupling of volume and intensity" would not make sense.

In "the System" they first plan the no. of reps (with sharp jumps from day to day) and then assign weights (RM%) to it - so the volume (total reps) always varies from day to day.

But I think that @Pavel Macek also uses sharp jumps between bells and tries to incorporate the Delta-20 principle intensity-wise.

When the sets and reps are static the only way to manipulate volume is to wave the load to get overall work increase... if the weight was static then the way to manipulate the intensity is to do more reps so starting with heavy sets of 5 on swings and adding reps to 10(so by increasing the volume you in theory increase the intensity as well)... those are 2 ways to manipulate programs, 3rd is density (time)... volume and intensity are merely variables, you can create volume manipulation type protocols (increasing the reps w/ a static weight) or manipulate the intensity (reps stay static but weight increases) this where "double progression" comes in, if you take S&S 1.0 vs 2.0 is an example in 1.0 you manipulate the volume by starting out with say 5 sets of 10 then over time slowly adding sets (increasing the volume)to 10 sets, in 2.0 the reps and sets are static (10x10) but the intensity is manipulated by waving the loads within the sets at times, also going from 2H to 1H (2H obviouslymakes it easier or lighter)... density is the 3rd variable so more work in the same time or same work in less time (the volume and intensity both tend to be static in this method)

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom